• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 range report

peligro113

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2011
GA
About a year ago I had Russell @ SSC build me a 223 bolt action but I wasn't able to write up a report on it since I was overseas due to my job. A week ago I started working up a load for it with some Nosler 2nds I picked up and some RL15. I also made up a sighter load to get me on target using the same Nosler 77's and some H335.

The rifle functioned and shot fine and Russel does fine work. I think it can do better once I get my fundamentals down so please be gentle..lol.

Rem 700 20" Brux 1/8 223 wylde
PTG Bottom metal
skim bedded B&C M40 stock
Bushnell 10x

1st target

2nd target

Target someone left up at 200 yds

Last edited:
Excellent!

I would recommend a rifle like this to just about everyone. They allow a lot of inexpensive practice and the lack of recoil/muzzle lets you really focus on the fundamentals. Plus they can have the exact same weight, feel, and ergonomics of larger caliber match rifle. I know my .223 bolt gun gets shot more than anything else for these very reasons.

I had Russel build me a barreled action shorty in .223 wylde. I bedded it into a Manners mcst and it shoots everything, very well. It shoots factory pmc ammo about as good as your targets, and stacks my generic reloads in sub 1/2" groups. Like another poster said, everyone should have one!

Thanks everyone I love this rifle I find that I have put my AR's aside when I go to the range this rifle always comes with me.

It shoots FGMM 69 grain, Vmax 40 reloads, and even my plinking 55 reloads very well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: