• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 recipe for high volume CQB practice

k80kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2010
Southeast Michigan
looking for a good recipe using the 55 FMJ for CQB practice with ar-15's.....i have never loaded for the 223 so i have no idea where to start.

thanks for the help

Re: 223 recipe for high volume CQB practice

.223 or 5.56 NATO ?
Reason being, the 5.56mm loading is a bit hotter and the chamber geometry is a bit different.

The published loading for M193 BALL (55 grain FMJ) is:
-M193
55gr FMJ (With Cannelure)
LC Brass (Crimped Primer) LC Headstamp
Primer: Small Rifle
Powder: H335
Charge Weight: 28.5
NSN:1305-00-926-3970

The H335 powder works very well and meters easily.

For up close practice, I'm going out on a limb and thinking that upper velocity isn't your goal but cycling the action is paramount.

My AR stops reliably cycling the action around 22gr of H335 in the case. For practice ammo I use 25.5gr and it shoots well in both my AR and my bolt action, even if the velocity isn't where someone else might wring out the case at, it shoots fine to 500yd.

Do you have a reloading manual? I am thinking no.

If you have 20 of them, then you would know what the starting load should be. How do we know what bullets, and powder you have?

You are just being lazy and want people to spoon feed you. There is a whole subsection on loads. And with the amount of time wasted typing and waiting for people to respond to this thread, you could have opened up one of those 20 reloading manuals and got a load to test out.