• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 reloading question

bjohnson87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2010
Greenville SC
I'm using Remington once fired brass, 22.5 gr of rl-10x and hornady 50gr v max what should the OAL be Its being fired out of a Remington 700 sps 20inch barrel

Re: 223 reloading question

Its going to be pretty far out man. For my lil sps .223 i load them as far as the mag will let me.

But with the v-max and SMK's they do just as good loading them to 2.25 so I can still use them in the AR.

Try seating them as far as you can then color the bullet ogive with a sharpie to see if its hitting the lands.

I have also used a once fired peice of brass that will still go into battery and insert a bullet in said peice of brass... but keep it way long and let the rifling shove the bullet back into the brass when chambering... then gently unchamber and measure the OAL. Do this a few times with a few different peices and that should give you a pretty good idea of where your OAL will be to the lands.

Ren

"Ok how do I find out that info"

Experiment. We would all like for things to be mechanical in reloading - do this, use so much of that, turn twice - and get .5" groups. But it doesn't work that way; NO ONE can (honestly) tell you anything specific and be helpful, we would have to take your rifle and work with it. So will you.

Sounds like you're a newbie? I'd suggest you just duplicate factory OAL for a long time, use that to learn to reload and practice shooting. Eventually you will begin to understand what's happeing yourself. Takes awhile but there are no shortcuts.

"....gently unchamber and measure the OAL. Do this a few times with a few different peices and that should give you a pretty good idea of where your OAL will be to the lands."

What Ren suggests will tell you pretty closely how far out you must seat to touch the lands but that sure won't tell you what will shoot best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the recommended oal is in the reloading manual that you bought.
</div></div>
Threads on any reloading section would conclude that most people don't have reloading manuals, and if they did, chances are that they didn't read through it. It's always best to ask strangers on the interweb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the recommended oal is in the reloading manual that you bought.
</div></div>
Threads on any reloading section would conclude that most people don't have reloading manuals, and if they did, chances are that they didn't read through it. It's always best to ask strangers on the interweb. </div></div>

LOL, perfect summary.

Reloading manuals tend to differ slightly in the information
they provide so, even then, you still get to experiment a bit.
Manual A will provide data on A,B,C powders, while Manual B will
do the same for powders X,Y,Z. My opinion, buy a few of them
and read them all. . .
laugh.gif

Example:

Hodgdon's reloading data center has a starting load of 25.5gr
of Varget in a .223 shooting a 55gr tip. It lists the max load
as 27.5c ( compressed )

In Lapua brass, one can't even put 25.8gr of Varget into the
round because the powder will compress so much you will bend
the neck on the round as you're seating the tip as the powder
can only compress so far.

A concintricity issue from hell believe me.

So even data from reputable sources isn't always as accurate
as we would like it to be. Use it as a guideline, but don't
be afraid to safely modify or question it as needed.

To answer the original post, pick up an OAL guage from
Hornady or Sinclairs. This will let you find the max seating
distance for your gun and you can start playing with the
offsets from there. Different bullets like different seating
distances from the lands. I tend to make a batch of rounds
and vary the seating distance by x amount between ten round
batches. Shoot each and note the groupings. Wash, rinse and
repeat until you find the one your particular gun likes.
laugh.gif

concentric [k&#601;n&#8242;sen·trik]
(science and technology)
Pertaining to the relationship between two different-sized circular, cylindrical, or spherical shapes when the smaller one is exactly centered within the larger one.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc

recommended oal may well be one of the most commonly agreed upon variables in loading manuals. but that wasn't the point anyway.
jh

I have an easy, cost effective and accurate way to measure your OAL for any bullet you choose.
1. get a cleaning rod and put a flat jag in it.
2. close the bolt on a empty chamber.
3. put the butt of the rifle on the floor, barrel up.
4. insert cleaning rod down barrel so it is resting on the bolt face.
5. wrap a piece of masking tape around the cleaning rod so the tape is touching the muzzle squarely.
6. take out cleaning rod.
7. seat the bullet of choice in an empty, unprimed case, just enough to hold the bullet.
8. insert the dummy round in the chamber with slight finger pressure until it rests against the lands and grooves and hold it there.
9. insert the cleaning rod back into the barrel, which is still facing up, until it rests against the tip of the bullet.
10.repeat number 5. then measure the distance between the bottom edges of the two pieces of tape and you have the OAL of your cartridge for that specific bullet touching the lands.

I usually seat that bullet then to that OAL, write it on the case and set it on the shelf for future reference.
Repeat for any bullet you choose or any cartridge.

I make up a dummy round seated a bit long and blacken the bullet ogive with a black permanent marker. If the chambered dummy extracts and shows rifling marks in the marker, I reseat the bullet about .005" shorter, reblacken, and retry.

When the marks stop appearing, I try some test loads set to .005" longer and .005" shorter, fire them for acccuracy comparison, and choose a seating depth/OAL accordingly.

It does not pay to try to just kiss the lands, because ogives vary enough that some will and some won't touch. They all need to one or the other.

When testing loads for comparative accuracy, economy is not the goal. Make up a decent supply of each test sample, fire several groups and average them.

How many? Several. Period.

Greg

I get the best groups in 223 with bullets seated long enough to jam in the lands, but seated short enough to not get stuck in the lands if I extract the round unfired.

Some benchrest competitor tried to tell me I need to measure the lands marks on the bullet with Magic Marker pen black on the bullet, and get the lands etching as long as it is wide.

But I measure where the bullet first touches the lands and where the bullet first gets stuck, then the useful OAL is half way in between. If I am firing a thousand rounds per day, I need reliability.