• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 rifle how to choose.....

308saiga

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
South Florida
Hey guys, I am new here but not new to weapons, I have been around guns for the last 40 years...

This is what I would like to know, I am in the market for a 223 (because it is cheaper to load/feed) and was wondering what to look for, I do bench shooting and currently at 200-300 yards, nothing further where I live....

This is what I am looking for, a varmint type rifle HB that can handle heavy grain bullets from 69gr up, I thought they went higher then 90gr? Granted that the rifle will determine the grain that I will be able to shoot, this is why I am asking the experts here... I have a buddy that has a Savage 10 or 16 in these specs and it does not like anything over 62gr bullets, very accurate with the 55gr SP non BT go figure...

Is there such a thing as a bolt action with a 1:7 twist in a 24" or above? I know that the AR15 has them but I am asking specifically the bolt action.....

So any input from you guys/gals will be appreciated TIA...

Re: 223 rifle how to choose.....

The only factory rifles with a fast enough twist for the 69gr + class bullets, that I am aware of, are savages and tikkas. Remington has a 5R in 223 with a 9 twist barrel, but you'll need to see if it can handle the heavier bullets. It should handle the 69 grain bullets just fine. I went with an 8 twist Rock on my 223ai, and it shoots 75 amaxes and 80 bergers quite well.

Good luck.

The tikka varmint has a 8 twist, but the mag needs to be modified to shoot anything over a 75, so you can seat them out longer.

i shoot a savage model 10 pc 1:9 twist. Havn't had it long, but it love sierra 69 grain match kings. It has a little more room to seat the larger bullets to the lands. and the clip will allow a 2.74 length case. plenty for a .223

Clip?
A clip in no way determines the max length of a cartridge.

DSC_2407.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot a savage model 10 pc 1:9 twist. Havn't had it long, but it love sierra 69 grain match kings. It has a little more room to seat the larger bullets to the lands. and the clip will allow a 2.74 length case. plenty for a .223 </div></div>

Thanks guys for the info, I do not care about the OAL because I load each round individually, so my OAL would be kissing the lands...

Anyone know of a 1:7 twist barrel???? Thanks again......

OK I found that the Savage Varmint has a 1:7, any others? For you guys that have this rifle, how does it shoot? How accurate? At what distance?

The Tikka 1:8 the same questions + where is this weapon made? Finland? Thanks again

Tikkas are made in Finland. I had a T3 Varmint that shot itty bitty groups with 80 grain Sierras. Currently, I own a T3 Lite and have been shooting 75 grain Hornady BTHPs but plan on shooting 75 AMAX. You'll need a bigger mag to feed long rounds singly. The angle of the 223 feed lips will not allow the bullet to center in the chamber and will jamb the bullet. I used a 22-250 mag and worked great. For BR, I'd build custom or buy the Savage......JMO

Your using a 250 mag and its working with the 223 without changing the feed lips?
Heres a little weekend fun with my (son's if you ask him) tikka varmint.
shooting7.jpg

Also, to answer you question about how it shoots. My 8 year old can bang steel (12 inches) at 4-500 all day with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, to answer you question about how it shoots. My 8 year old can bang steel (12 inches) at 4-500 all day with it. </div></div>

Sounds like you guys where having a lot of fun, is it my imagination or are these rifles quite? I watched a video and it sounded like it had a silencer on it.... Tikka 223 Video

Did you bed your rifle, or do any mods to the stock? Thanks...

Again for those who are worried about the length of the round, please do not worry about it, I want to shoot 90gr + rounds from my future rifle... I will not be using a magazine or clip of feed ramps, I load 1 round at a time....

Didn't bed it, just dropped it in and started shooting. Might do it later, but the fit was great and it shoots just the way it is. As to being quite, sounds like pretty much any other 24" 223 out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't bed it, just dropped it in and started shooting. Might do it later, but the fit was great and it shoots just the way it is. As to being quite, sounds like pretty much any other 24" 223 out there. </div></div>

Yeah it must have been the vid that I posted I saw others and they sounded right..... Thanks again for your input brother....

savage makes a lrpv model 12 in 7 twist that is a single shot and will shoot lights out, I have yet to witness a factory savage lrpv that won't shoot under 1/2moa from 300yds and under.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">savage makes a lrpv model 12 in 7 twist that is a single shot and will shoot lights out, I have yet to witness a factory savage lrpv that won't shoot under 1/2moa from 300yds and under. </div></div>

Great thanks for the info, please keep them coming guys, I have also found that some CZ 223's also come in 1:8 anyone ever try one or own 1? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your using a 250 mag and its working with the 223 without changing the feed lips?
Heres a little weekend fun with my (son's if you ask him) tikka varmint.
shooting7.jpg
</div></div>

I was using the 22-250 mag as a single load follower. If you toss a long loaded 80 SMK on top of a 223 mag, It won't feed. It'll jamb below the feed ramp. Nice Tikka BTW.

BTW, From the smile on the boys face, it's pretty obvious who owns that rifle.......LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAM40A1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, From the smile on the boys face, it's pretty obvious who owns that rifle.......LOL </div></div>

LOL that was good.....

possibly the cam. some cams will cut or reduce the volume if something too loud happens. you can see this happen on hickok45 s youtube. it will be quiet when he shoots and then when he talks the cam has to almost catch up.

someone said in another thread that the single feeding issue can be solved by getting a 308 mag, didnt know a 22-250 would change anything up