• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 sniper or not?

You should see the video. He pulls the charging handle as if it's a bolt after the first shot, sending a live round flying.

Plus he looked dazed and confused by the first muzzle blast 🤣

Ha!
What exactly did he do in his old KBG days? Was he in the field I wonder

It's a US Service member or LE officer that has been validated in all essential field/Marksmanship task with a issued weapon system M110 or M24 or M40

Example
Service member graduates Fort Benning sniper course. He is sniper qualified. But a SNIPER goes on preform those skills sets as a part of a platoon.
What is a sniper?

Obama got me back into shooting a while back, having been out of it for over four decades from my Army days, which were limited to BT with the M!6.

Started collecting a few rifles and pistols, beginning with "everything's gonna be 22 so I only need one caliber ammo), then moving to the quintessential deer rifle 270 REM but in a homemade "sniper"variation I bought used, came with a genuine (?) Vietnam US Leatherwood Sniper scope with a built in "computer", never learned to use it, think it was missing a part. But the rifle was basically a Savage with heavy barrel and shoots great.

Collected more rifles and started thinking when I was drinking that I'd become a sniper type shooter....... kept collecting guns, hardly ANY of them good for the purpose.

Finally bought a Savage Axis in 6.5 CM and found out what a bit of longer range accuracy was like. Was so pleased with it that when I read about the RPR in 6.5 in Rifleman Magazine, grabbed one, and FINALLY started working towards "snipering". Improved my reloading skills and equipment (a never ending process, watch a lot of Erik Cortina on YT and buy more gear), and begin taking long range shooting courses and then ELR.

Moved from lesser scopes to a few Vortex and finally to a low-end Nightforce, dream of some top notch glass. I'm 70 and the eyes are getting blurry, so glass is more important than ever. (Had a really sweet Sightron before I bought Vortex, it's about as good.) The Nightforce is best, so far.

Ranges longer than 525 yds are scarce in my neck of the woods, and I haven't really mastered the 525 yet, it involves even more scope work than a top rifle and top ammo.

Learning to use Strelok to determine my scope settings.

Recently took a class on a private island, using my RPR 6.5 to hit out to 1350 and a loaner Cheytac to hit at a mile........

I'll be doing this as long as I am able, hooked good and proper. When the Zombies come down our dirt road, I'll be able to make a lot of them go away or go down........yep, need solid head shots to kill a Zombie, I'm told.

But...........

As to, What is a sniper?

I'll let you know when I get there.

ps: But I thank Obama every day for incentivizing me to get decently ready for Covid and Biden. While everyone's searching ammo, I'm reloading and shooting. Thanks, Hussein!

Not much really. I replaced stock for a free floating barrel, installed a detachable mag well, upgraded the trigger to a steady 8oz pull, replaced bolt knob and slammed on a good optic 6-24x50. Quarantine had me really bored lol. Looking into getting barrel threaded.
An 8oz pull on the trigger isn't that a bit light for safety surely 1.5 to 2lbs would be a lot safer I have checked 8ozs on my scale and to be honest it scared me a good jolt or catch on something could fire the rifle

OP, if you don’t mind me asking, how old are you and how much experience do you have with rifles in general and long range shooting? I get the feeling that you’re relatively young and new to this, which isn’t a bad thing.

I think sometimes new shooters get really excited by the idea of the sport and catch the shooting bug so to speak, jumping in feet first and falling into the marketing of buzz words like “sniper rifle”. They spend a little time learning what they can as a novice to the sport thinking that they’ve learned a lot, not recognizing that it’s a lifetime of learning, and it’s only just begun. They then come across this site and think that it’s a good idea to just jump right into the forums and post before really investigating the content it offers and come across kind of silly. Which being new is somewhat expected, but not a responsible way to use this site IMO.

No one wants to run off any new comers into the sport, but please recognize that you should have probably researched a lot more and structured your post in a different manner if at all. Others suggested that you spend time researching the site more. I concur and would suggest that you do that. Otherwise you’re opening yourself up to a feeding frenzy.
I agree with what you say maybe he should have said a rifle in the style of most sniper rifles not just a sniper rifle there is a difference

An 8oz pull on the trigger isn't that a bit light for safety surely 1.5 to 2lbs would be a lot safer I have checked 8ozs on my scale and to be honest it scared me a good jolt or catch on something could fire the rifle
Then you probably shouldn't use an 8oz trigger. Stick with what you are comfortable with. I typically don't have her in gear unless I'm ready to roll.

just cause it doesnt work for you doesnt mean there arent people that are perfectly safe running 3.5-8oz triggers

my girlfriend learned on a 6oz trigger and guess what. shes perfectly safe

Not sure how many actual "snipers" we have on this thread, but no shortage of sniping.

And it seems a little unfair to pile on to a guy who posts of a forum called "snipershide" for using the term "sniper".
That is an excellent and obvious point (that I didn't think of). Does seem to reek of hypocrisy. I guess this is a website where snipers hide amongst hundreds of civilians...who make fun of anyone who uses the word "sniper". :ROFLMAO: