• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 to 22-250

M.D.K.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Pinedale WY
hey guys,
ive been looking at getting a remington ltr in 223, i love the feel and looks of the gun, but im a huge 22-250 fan. this might be a dumb question but could i simply rechamber the 223 to shoot 22-250?? will i have a problem with the bolt or feeding?

thanks

Re: 223 to 22-250

You'd have to open the bolt face, replace the extractor and open the feed lips.

what is a rough estamite to the the cost to have that done, meaning the whole conversion to a 22-250???? Doing this appeals to me because the rifle is already set up the way i like and the twist is lower which would allow for a little heavier bullet.

It may be cheaper to have your gunsmith replace your bolt and headspace it to the new chamber. I recently went throught the same thing and the cost of replacing it was a little less and I ended up with a far better bolt than the factory Remington.

roughly what did that run you to have it done? The only reputable gun smith i know of is out of town and im trying to get a feel for the cost of doing this.

You might actually be better off to buy a .308 LTR and have a gunsmith replace the barrel and chamber it in 22-250 . The 22-250 uses the same bolt face , mag box , spring and follower as the .308 . By the time you change everything over from on a .223 your probably about the same price and you end up with an aftermarket barrel .

Another thought would be to buy a Rem 700 VS in 22-250 and just have the barrel shortened to 20 inches . You wouldn't have the barrel flutes but you would be pretty close to a LTR .

I currently use a 22-250 vs that is cut to 22 inchs, but i like the twist rate on the 223 ltr. i have cdi bottom metal on that gun and plan on putting it on the ltr. i emailed another gunsmith i heard about to get a rough price on changing the bolt face and rechambering... we'll see.

Your gonna need a new magazine box , spring and follower as well . Like I said before I would recommend starting with a .308 and rebarreling to a 22-250 . That way you get to choose whatever twist rate you want which if it was me I would actually go a step further and go 1 in 8 twist so you can launch the 75 and 80 grain pills .

Just to throw another bone in the stew you might look at having it rechambered to a .223 Ackley Improved . You can then shoot .223 ammo and when you reload you can gain another 100-150 FPS velocity .

A pard of mine is running a 1 in 9 twist .223 using the Barnes 36 grain Varmint grenades and one of the Ramshot powders (I can't remember which one) and is running almost 4000 FPS ! SO the .223 can be pretty capable when you use the right components .

For the cost of the conversion, it'd be WAAAAY cheaper to just buy another rifle.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just to throw another bone in the stew you might look at having it rechambered to a .223 Ackley Improved . You can then shoot .223 ammo and when you reload you can gain another 100-150 FPS velocity .

</div></div>

It rate's more than a look, that's for sure. An LTR'ish 223AI would be a pretty good little rifle.

I think the LTR's have 1x9 twist so you would have a pretty fast twist 22-250. I know the 1x8's will put the heavy pills down pretty good so the 1x9 might be fair. For something like you are asking there is a smith around here that will do it for a bill. You can buy a med bolt face bolt and sell your 223 boltface bolt for about the same diff. I would say for $150 you could get it done.