• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 twist recomendations

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Here's the Deal, I have a Rem 700 Varment w/1-12 twist. I got this gun in 1978 and carried it in LE. Now its used for varments but I'm thinking of turning it into a F-Class rifle.

I wanted a 1-7 twist to match my White Oak Service Rifle, meaning my main load will be 80 gr. SMKs (my ARs 600 yard load) or 77s if I want to run them through the mag.

I'm getting advise to go to a 1-8. My question is WHY. If the 1-7 works in the AR, why wont it work in a bolt gun. It will be a 24 in barrel.

Any Recomendations??????????

Re: 223 twist recomendations

My 223 has a 1-8 Broughton 5C and the only thing that I can remember shooting through it has been 80s. Mostly 80 JLK and Berger VLDs. I have shot a few hundred 80 HPBTs Sierra and Nosler through it also. It has worked fine for me. The lowest elevation I've shot was about 700'ASL.

I don't think this is to say that a 1-7 wouldn't work, just that a 1-8 does very well for the 80s.

Re: 223 twist recomendations

my 223/223AI bolt guns wear 1-8"twists also. I run the 75Amax's almost exclusively so I've felt no need to go faster.