• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 using 75gr Amax...powder selection input

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I have decided to try the 75gr Amax in my 1:8 twist .223 bolt rifle. Looking for those who have used or ate using the following powders with the Amax as I have a bunch of it on hand.

RL-15
TAC
H4895

I have read a few folks using TAC and getting good velocity. And I have quite a bit of it so if anyone has input on it I would like to hear.
My next choice would be H4895. We have wide temp veriations so I would like to stay away from RL-15 as it seems to be a bit temp sensitive from past use.

Take care,Stan

Re: .223 using 75gr Amax...powder selection input

why do you not consider varget. I think varget is great for heavier 223 rounds

As stated above....the powders listed is what I have on hand. And LOTS of it. So I would like to use one of the above powders and not buy more powder that would only be used in one rifle. I use the other powders for my gas guns.

75-80 a-max and RL-15 take the .223 to a whole different level. Start at 24.0 and see how it goes, you should get to 3000fps, no problem

I have no experience with TAC, but H4895 or RL15 should work well. As stated, start at 24 gr and work around that. RL15 will probably give you more velocity and should be fairly temp sensitive. As long as you'r not jamming the bullet into the lands you should be fine.

RL15 was the darling of highpower shooters for a while several years ago and they were pushing the 77s and 80s regularly and accurately.

Good luck!

22.6 gr of H-4895 is max load in the book for 77's but you should find something there that shoots great. I've shot it sucessfully.

The Tac is good powder but you never know how it's going to act when the temps get higher. My current powder but just because I was trying to shoot it up before the temps started getting to warm.

I've never shot Re-15 but a lot of people are sucessful with it.

Try IMR 4320, that is what i use and it is consistently accurate at 600 yards with my gas gun. Unfortunaetly i have to single feed the A-Max bullets becuase they are so long but its worth it

Ive had very good luck with H4895 with the 75 Amax. Very accurate. The only bad thing with it is that the powder doesn't meter very well.

RL-15. Somewhere around 24.0 - 24.5 grains will get you where you need to be.

Take a look at IMR 8208 I don't think you will be disappointed one bit. If you really want to narrow it down try 23.3 or 23.9 areas with COAL at 2.260. Work up to these level and have fun.