• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 223 wssm barrel question

Smp2500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Denver CO
Looking into a mod 70 in 223 wssm, which I understand can be quite a barrel burner. What I can't find is a moderately priced replacement barrel. Everything I'm seeing runs right up there with there with the cost of a used rifle. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: 223 wssm barrel question

Just because it is a barrel burner doesnt mean replacement barrels will be any more or less available or priced differently. A barrel is a barrel, they cost what they cost, whether it be a .223,.223AI, or a .223wssm. If the price and life have got you thinking twice, then maybe you should consider one of the other options, may I suggest the straight up .223?

Perhaps a 22-250 or 22-250 improved would be a better choice.

With the bolt face of the 308 class of cartridges, you would have more options should you decide to re-barrel to a different caliber.

I got me a SAAvage Axis in 30-06 with a camo stock for $330. (No sights, but I added a scope rail and a Weaver 3-9 that had been taking up space. Is it a tack driving, precision monster? No, but it shoots about a minute of angle with Meican Match, and I got the whole rifle for what a Hart or Kreiger would cost.

It's not so much the cost of shooting. Just want to make sure I can keep the thing running.

Thats what I meant, if your worried about it then just get a .223. It'll last a lot longer, putting off a barrel change till much later. But when you do have to change barrels it'll still cost the same.

Buying a cheap gun instead of rebarreling would be akin to buying a paddle VS a new prop for your skiboat. The Axis is what it is, a cheap alternative, hardly a precise rifle.

I see your point. Just looking to do something different I guess. Already have a great shooting 308 and just finished a nice 223 ar. Liked the idea of that short fat little round. Don't see many of them around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smp2500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't see many of them around </div></div>

For these same reasons