• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .223 Wylde

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    So I just recieve my new build chambered in .223 Wylde, very happy, but I have a curious issue; I have another gun chambered in .223 Wylde, but the ammo from the older one, wont fit in the new one. I have to seat the bullet a full .10 deeper to chamber the round. Did I miss something or shouldn't the same FL ammo seated to the same length fit in the two guns chambered alike?

Re: .223 Wylde

A full 0.100" or 0.010"?

How many rounds on the "old" barrel?

0.010" wouldn't be anything I'd worry about. 0.100" would be a huge difference.

100 thousands is a lot more that I'd have expected. I would have to say that is not "normal" for a 223 to move throat that far in so few rounds.

What load are you running?

I've seen initial throat movement of around 10 thousands from virgin chamber to first 20 rounds or so fired. Throat movement then settles into a couple thousands every couple hundred rounds (fairly hot 6.5mm) to couple thousands every 1 to 1.5K for cartridges that are not so overbore.

No no no, you are misunderstanding, the throat has not moved, the new rifle is unfired, and the old one is fine too, but what i am asking is why two rifles chambered identically will not allow a FL cartridge from one to chamber in the other without seating the bullet .10 deeper? It isn't a throat erosion issue, it is a chambering issue, if both are chambered identically, then why wouldn't the COL be the same?

If both barrels were chambered with same reamer then what you are seeing would not be expected. Barrels chambered with same spec's for two different 223 Wylde reamers you shouldn't see this much differece.

You are saying initial measurement from both barrels, new barrel requires bullet to be seated 100 thousands deeper to be able to chamber round in new barrel.

What is OAL and with what bullet?

75 A-max, the long one is 2.525 and the short one is 2.425. it doesn't seem like a big deal but the whole reason I went with the Wylde chamber was to seat them long to get the most use out of my case capacity/velocity. but with these now, it doesn't seem like much of a difference at all, the bullet is seated so deep its almost like a regualar chamber
    frown.gif

http://www.ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

2.425" OAL with 75 A-max sounds about right for standard Wylde reamer. 2.525" OAL with 75gr A-max sounds like the lead dimension has been modified from original Wylde chamber specs or throated to increase freebore.

Very common, and nothing to be worried about. It has nothing to do with the chambering reamers used, just the cartridge overall length. Your one rifle is seating "into the lands" while the other still has some freebore available.
    The freebore/throat/leade, ahead of the chamber, is cut deeper on one rifle than the other.
    Usually done to accommodate bullets being seated out longer, or heavier weight bullets intruding less into the case.

How hard is it to change to the Wylde chamber? Would I need new reloading dies?

I have considered .223 AI but I would need new dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    2.425" OAL with 75 A-max sounds about right for standard Wylde reamer. 2.525" OAL with 75gr A-max sounds like the lead dimension has been modified from original Wylde chamber specs or throated to increase freebore. </div></div>

The longer(preferred) throated chamber is on a factory RRA AR15, does it seem strange that a factory gun would have such lead? I was hoping to get the same or better length with my bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott e white</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very common, and nothing to be worried about.</div></div>

I'm not worried about it, I'm sure it will "work", but the whole purpose of going with the Wylde was to seat em long and shoot as fast as posible. It doesn't look like anything can be done about it now.

Read page 24 of the Clymer's catalog (throaters, or freebore reamers).

http://www.clymertool.com/catalogue/ClymerCatalogueVol11.pdf

If you want a deeper leade, it's not too late. You can probably have the 'smith who cut your chamber do it. It's really not that big of a deal. If he has chambering reamers, he'll probably have throaters, too. Don't settle for something because "it'll work", get it done the way you want it.

I agree with you scott, but the logistics of getting the gun back to him, and getting it worked over again, pushing my shooting time back at least another week or two, in which time I wont beable to do finish work on the stock, just doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

The problem you have is not with the chamber, it is with the freebore. The chamber is just the dimensions for the cartridge, the free bore will decide how long you can load your bullet out to.

For instance, I just had a .260 Rem chambered and had the choice to have a .06" or .1 free bore. I went with the .06" free bore so I would have no problems with the 140gr bullets and keeping mag length.

When getting a chamber cut, you can typically order it with many different freebore lengths. You just have to decide what length what you need for the bullets you are going to shoot.

You can always get the free bore lengthened. Hope this helps.