• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 77 grain SMK question

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    I have been shooting .224 69 grain SMKs + Varget out of a 1 in 7" barrel with decent groups. I haven't yet tried running 77 grain SMKs yet. I was wondering what kind of improvement to expect, and which powder I should use. The Sierra manual recommends Viht N140 for the accuracy load. I have a decent amount of Varget and RL-15, so should I try these first, or will the Viht make that much of a difference?

Re: .224 77 grain SMK question

I have run all of the mentioned loads except the VV140. Both Varget and Re15 worked well. I haven't tried the V140, but many people love their powders. Its pricey though. In my experience the 69's have shot better at short ranges (<200yds). This may be due to the 77's not stabilizing yet? I'd try the 77's if you're shooting farther than 2-300 yds. They will buck the wind better than the 69's. If you have a lot of Varget and Re15 use that and find a load that your gun likes.

I shoot the 77's with rl-15 and have been happy with them. Decent grouping at 100m up to 300m. Havent had any to the other range to shoot them to 700m yet but plan to soon. They are out of a 1-8 barrel. Your 1-7 should like them.

I did a fair amount of testing and concluded Viht N135 produced the best groups for me. I'd also choose Varget in a pinch. They were very close. My 18" Compass Lake loves the 77 grainers. That is what 1/7" twists were made for!

Don't forget you also have 77 grain Bergers, 77 grain Noslers, and 75 grain Hornadys. I actually shoot the Bergers myself.

<span style="font-weight: bold">(5 @ 100 meters)</span>
    Picture0042.jpg

reloading_testing.jpg

In my experience, the 69gr SMk is a more accurate bullet than the 77gr SMK. If you need to go beyond 300 yards or so, then by all means try the 77.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out this burn rate chart, and you'll be able to see which powders match up well with RL-15 and Varget, if you choose to experiment further

http://gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html </div></div>

Thanks for the chart

23.8 - 24 gr of Varget with the 77 is a pretty standard load. Your 1-7 should like them alot. I doubt you'd see a meaningful difference between the VV and Varget for practical applications.

I've made a lot of good hits on paper and steel out to 850 with 24.2 of RE15 and 77 SMKs (2,632 / 18" Noveske); but I think 69s are more accurate in close.

The combination of Varget or RL15 with .224 has always performed well for me. Start developing you loads with what you have. There is no need to buy additional powder until you know what you have is not performing.

I had a good load with the 75's and RL15. Velocitys were not where I wanted though. 2650fps was to slow for what I wanted. I switched to H4895 and am working on a load. Got the bullet up to 2850fps out of my 16". Got a little tweaking to do.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TangoDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a good load with the 75's and RL15. Velocitys were not where I wanted though. 2650fps was to slow for what I wanted. I switched to H4895 and am working on a load. Got the bullet up to 2850fps out of my 16". Got a little tweaking to do. </div></div>

I think your chronograph is broken.

So will a Remington SPS 20 " barrel 1:9 twist stabilize a 75gr AMax and how fast do you need to push it to get it to stabilize out to 800 yds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jedi8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So will a Remington SPS 20 " barrel 1:9 twist stabilize a 75gr AMax and how fast do you need to push it to get it to stabilize out to 800 yds?

</div></div>

IMHO, a 20" 1 in 9 barrel with the AMAX is borderline. In a 20 inch, 1/9 AR I had displayed pretty erratic performance at 600 yards. But in a 24 inch 1/9 bolt gun (Model 70 HV) I had pretty good results. I think you'd have to drive them pretty hard in a 20 inch barrel to get results out that far, and you have no guarentee that they'd work. If I was looking to drive a 223 out to 600 and beyond, I'd be looking at at least an 8 twist barrel, and more likely a 1 in 7. Even if they are stable, past 600, the wind will own a 75. It's all up to your wind reading skills at that point.

Good luck,

ET

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jedi8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So will a Remington SPS 20 " barrel 1:9 twist stabilize a 75gr AMax and how fast do you need to push it to get it to stabilize out to 800 yds?

</div></div>

The 75 Amax would not work in my sps tactical at any speed nor 80 smk (some went nose first into the target but most showed some degree of key holing. However I can run 77smk and hornady 75 BTHP. Someone recently posted they same problem when using a 1-9 5R 24" barrel. Im pretty sure its a twist/stablity issue, rather than speed, unless you are talking hundreds of feet per second.

hi if it is a true 9 twsit with a 20" barrel you sould get it up over 2900 with warm loads i would not use those loads in an AR single loading though. for your barrel length H4895 works realy well start with the projectiles right out close to the lands to give you more powder space then start at 24.5gr and work up but stop if you have any pressure issues. The 80gr projectiles will never shoot from the 9 twist but i have shot heaps of 75 A Max projectiles form 9 twists with good results. as some rem barrels are buttoned they can get button slippage and end up over 9 twist. The 75gr Hornady HPBT and the 77gr Sierra are both proven performers in 9 twist 223 so if you cant get the A Max to stabalise try them the Hornadys have been as accurate as the Sierra 69gr.