• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 Valkyrie build

bd28

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2019
I'm getting ready to start a 224 Valkyrie upper build to use with my AR. I will more than likely only be using factory loads but maybe possible reload down the the road. Looking for options on barrel manufactures, barrel length and barrel twist. Will only be using for target and bench rest shooting.

I'm getting ready to start a 224 Valkyrie upper build to use with my AR. I will more than likely only be using factory loads but maybe possible reload down the the road. Looking for options on barrel manufactures, barrel length and barrel twist. Will only be using for target and bench rest shooting.
I have a 22" Satern 5R 1-6. It shoots better than I do, seems to like the factory fed 75s, which is good because that's the cheap stuff.

I use a Shilen 6.5 twist. .875 dia 24" long, and it shoots the federal 90s great.
It also loves the 95 grain SMKs with RL 17 or win 760.
If it's a target gun, don't skimp on a barrel.
I do use cheaper barrels for some hunting rifles and they hold minute of coyote easy enough, but they would not be fun at long range.

Mine is a 22” Rock Creek 6.7 twist chambered by Craddock with matching bolt. Seems to like all the factory stuff I’ve put through it so far.

It Likes the cheap federal 75s just fine out to about 600 and likes the hornady 88s just a little bit better, especially past 600 yards. It shot the federal superformance 90s fine out to 300 yards, but I only had one box of those and they were not cheap.

I just ordered a .224 barrel this morning (see below). 18" should do anything I'll ever use it for & can't beat this price for a Craddock. I got the +1" gas tube with it. Cant be more then 1 or 2 left at this price and there sold out of every other option.

1590868204835.png

Thats an excellent deal on that barrel, I am almost tempted to buy one just to set back. Very good find.

I got a similar deal on 20”/+2 Craddock barrel/bolt from ArmorAlly last month. Just sighted in today - shot some of the cheap Fed 75’s, Hdy 88 & Hdy Black 75’s. Both Hdys hovering around 1 moa, still dialing in gb, shooting with & w/o can etc and figuring out what it likes best. Hopefully can shrink that to .5-.75 moa - is that realistic with factory ammo?

I just ordered a .224 barrel this morning (see below). 18" should do anything I'll ever use it for & can't beat this price for a Craddock. I got the +1" gas tube with it. Cant be more then 1 or 2 left at this price and there sold out of every other option.

View attachment 7339679

It’ll be interesting to see if that can handle the heavies (88/90’s) with that twist and barrel length.

I've got some Berger 85.5 Long Range Hybrids on the way for it. That's the upper limit I intend to go with it since it'll be giving up a little velocity @ 18".

you may consider waiting a couple of weeks. Hornady Is rumored to be launching effectively a 6mm ar cartridge (6 arc). There is another thread on it... may want to see it before going 224v

you may consider waiting a couple of weeks. Hornady Is rumored to be launching effectively a 6mm ar cartridge (6 arc). There is another thread on it... may want to see it before going 224v
The reason I was going with 224 Valkyrie was for low recoil. How will the 6 mm ar ( 6 ARC) as far recoil is concerned.

I just got a chance to shoot my new WOA 24 inch Kreiger 1:6.5 twist +2 gas tube.

Shot both 75 and 88 grain less than moa, and no recoil at all.

Also put on a gen 3 lil bastard muzzle break .

cleric thanks for the heads up. After seeing the launch today this could be a better option.

I run a wilson combat barrel. They have different lengths mine is 22 inches. Not fluted. Its heavier than stock and shoots very well. Took about 180 rounds to break in. There not expensive. They do an excellent cerakote job as well. Put it in any upper reciever and use a decent 15 inch mlok handguard. I love griffin armament stuff. I use a pvs 30 for hog hunting on this rig so I wanted a good handguard.