• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 Valkyrie kickin my A$$

Dalton379

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2023
South Carolina
Hey all fairly new to reloading, but I started with 6.5 creed and have ventured into Valkyrie. I chose to start working with CFE 223 and Lehigh defense 72 gr controlled chaos and have gotten discouraged. I have had zero luck identifying a charge node that works well in my gas gun. I’ve moved seating depth for more “jump” with no luck increasing accuracy or finding a load I’m willing to accept. My rifle shoots both 90gr Fusion and hornady 60gr vmax well for the life of me I can’t understand why I’m falling on my ass with load development. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monos can be barrel sensitive. They don’t slug up in the bore when fired like cup and core bullets. If your barrel is on the loose side of spec, gases can escape around a mono severely affecting accuracy. Custom tight bore barrels always shoot monos best.

Last edited:
I tried three different barrels in two different chassis' before I finally gave up on 224-V. Just couldn't get it to group when all my other rifles shot like tack-drivers. Factory cartridges or handloads both sucked. Spent a year getting my ass kicked before I gave my last 224-V to my son to use for home defense. Maybe it can hit a torso from across the living room, but it sure can't hit the center of a target at 100 yards. My advice ... give up, and rebarrel to 6.5 Grendel.

You saying it shoots other bullets well should answer your question. Not every barrel likes every bullet. If that one bullet type seems like a failure it probably is. Switch to a different bullet or stick with what you have found already shoots well. My gas gun Valkyrie shot just fine with factory Hornady 88 and my bolt Valkyrie is an absolute hammer with hand loaded 88eldm but load development is easier on a bolt gun that’s throated out. Good luck!

Berger 85.5 hybrids with 26.3 shoots 1 MOA for me.

Mine didn't shoot well with the 70RDF but hammers with 60g Sierras. I usually don't even make it half way through a box of bullets anymore before I decide if I am going to use them in that particular barrel or not.

Reactions: Simonsza1
I tried three different barrels in two different chassis' before I finally gave up on 224-V. Just couldn't get it to group when all my other rifles shot like tack-drivers. Factory cartridges or handloads both sucked. Spent a year getting my ass kicked before I gave my last 224-V to my son to use for home defense. Maybe it can hit a torso from across the living room, but it sure can't hit the center of a target at 100 yards. My advice ... give up, and rebarrel to 6.5 Grendel.
I’m thinking 6arc

I’m thinking 6u
Berger 85.5 hybrids with 26.3 shoots 1 MOA for me.
How would those 85.5s do on a coyote or deer? My Valkyrie is my night time rig for depredation and predators.

I’m thinking 6u

How would those 85.5s do on a coyote or deer? My Valkyrie is my night time rig for depredation and predators.
A guess would be fine on yotes to a certain distance, I would not use them for Deer.

Reactions: Dalton379