• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224v 88gr ELD Hornady Match super soft?

ToddM

Philanthropist
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
PA
Anyone had issues getting 88gr ELD Hornady Match 224v to run? The couple of boxes I got to try out appear to be so soft that even with the adjustable gas block many clicks beyond what I'm running for other ammo open, it won't fully lock the bolt back reliably. It doesn't seem like it should be that soft, the velocity is listed as the same as 90gr FGMM which runs fine with 5-6 clicks out.

Running a WC 22" barrel, JP SCS standard, JP bolt/carrier with an SLR adjustable gas block.

Odd part is running any other 224 ammo I've tried, I only need 3-7 clicks past fully closed to get it to run fine with 75gr AE, 80.5 and 90gr FGMM, 90gr Rem, but even 15 clicks out 88gr will eject, but will not lock back reliably.

I'm sure I could adjust the SCS lighter in weight/spring to run it, just seems very odd since I can easily adjust for other ammo as it is now. It seems to like like 80.5gr and 90gr enough, but I've always had good luck with the Hornady Match ammo in other calibers so thought I'd try it.

My first guess would be that it uses a really fast powder that is running out of steam before it fully pressurizes the gas tube.

Check the location of the SLR gas block and see if it's .025 off the shoulder seat, and still in position and tighten to specs. Then start over tighten down until off and back off 4 clicks, 2 clicks at a time firing 1 shot to see if it will lock back, or where it preforms or if it almost performs at how many clicks off total shut off.
If if fails to lock back, drill out the gas port to the next size number drill larger...install gas block according to instructions...it will work.. just adjust the gas block for other ammo..that's why you have an adjustable gas block.

Gas block is centered well with a bore scope, seems like I'd have to drill out the gas port. It's possible setting up the JCS lighter would work, I might try that for giggles, but considering how huge the delta is from every other 224 ammo I've tried to the 88 ELD stuff, I'm not sure I'd bother unless I knew it performed much better than anything else. The next most open setting for any other ammo I've tried is 7 clicks out from bottom, going 20 clicks out still won't get 88gr to run. Could also be the WC barrel uses a rifle length gas, as opposed to the more typical +2 it seems.

Just figured I'd see if others running the 224 were seeing such a huge difference in gas block setting for 88gr compared to other similar ammo.

Gas block is centered well with a bore scope, seems like I'd have to drill out the gas port. It's possible setting up the JCS lighter would work, I might try that for giggles, but considering how huge the delta is from every other 224 ammo I've tried to the 88 ELD stuff, I'm not sure I'd bother unless I knew it performed much better than anything else. The next most open setting for any other ammo I've tried is 7 clicks out from bottom, going 20 clicks out still won't get 88gr to run. Could also be the WC barrel uses a rifle length gas, as opposed to the more typical +2 it seems.

Just figured I'd see if others running the 224 were seeing such a huge difference in gas block setting for 88gr compared to other similar ammo.
I have 6 Wilson Combat barrels in different AR calibers...plus a couple of Faxon, several Schilen, 4 Proof, BA, ...they all required drilling to a larger gas port...maybe not the pistol length
don't remember doing the 300 blkouts.
But yes there are 7 clicks between the hot handloads (I use the same ammo in the bolt guns as the AR 10 except the 80,000psi hybrid case) and the more modest loads. I never shoot factory loads. Example AR 10 308 18" 200 gr SMK 2673 fps, hot load and 130 gr Speer 2800 fps mild load, 7 clicks adjustment and SA adj gas block, and it works perfectly...every caliber functions well with the right gas applied to the gas system, no need for heavy buffer, or different springs. I run it all standard mil spec. springs and buffers, so all the lowers are interchange within the AR 15 and AR 10 line.