• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2296 yds. (almost!) with a 300WM....PICS ADDED

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
We in the West are blessed to have some of the most phenomenal long distance shooting opportunities in the country. Many of us only dream about getting to shoot at 500 yds or even 1000 yds. But I got an opportunity on Thursday to go rock shooting with MontanaMarine and Broz, from here on the Hide, at a place where ANY rifle any of us might show up with would be challenged for range.

We got set up at MM’s favorite local shooting spot and after a little conversation, Broz suggested we kick things off with a mile shot! All three of us, first Broz, with his 338LM, then MM with his 30-06 and then my 300WM, got on with one or two sighters and I could tell it was going to be a good day. After 1760 everything seems easy, and we shot at 830, 1200 and then Broz broke out his smallbores and we played around for awhile. Let me just say if you haven’t shot a heavy barreled 6BR with a BIG brake, well, you haven’t shot a rifle that doesn’t recoil!

I’ve been wanting to know for a while now just how far my rifle would shoot (I've made hits as far as 1900 yds.), so I asked Broz (who just happens to own a PRLF-10) to range me something over 2000 yds. He found me a small rock on the hillside across the canyon at 2296 yds and I settled in behind my rifle. I dialed in 25 mil (maxed out) and set about getting a good sight picture, NPA, etc, etc.

I’ll save you the suspense. I missed. I forgot to hold the 5.5 mil extra on my reticle to get the 30.5 estimated total elevation I'd need for the first shot.
cry.gif
But my second shot fell center mass with a zero wind hold, *just* short of my intended target.
grin.gif

I was less concerned with actually hitting the target, than with how my rifle and load would perform at that that extreme range. So I fired a third and fourth round with the same hold and they hit in almost exactly the same spot as the second. I decided to try to actually hit the rock with the fifth, and held another ½ mil high and that round hit just up the hill from the first three. According to my spotter, MontanaMarine, the total group was “about ¼ mil”. That’s “about” 20”. Or “about” under 1 MOA.... at almost 2300 yds.

Needless to say we were all amazed. And with good reason. I wasn’t shooting a 50BMG, or a .338LM. I was shooting a 300WM... with a 22” barrel.

For you gearheads: 300WM, Winchester brass, CCI 250 primers, 78 gr H1000 pushing 208 Amax’s seated .010” off the lands (3.665" COAL). <span style="font-weight: bold">EST</span>. vel. 2900-2925 (I haven’t chrono’d the load I shot, I just finished working up this load for my Win. Brass, and although it groups well at 500 yds., I hadn’t gone so far as to chrono it yet, but back-calculating from JBM, 2900-2925 fits the data I collected from the field). I'll try to confirm this week. My go-to LR load chrono’s at 2870 out of this barrel and this new load prints 2” higher at 500 yds, so I’m pretty confident it’s running a lot hotter.

Obviously, 4 rounds does not make up a statistically significant sample size. So this post amounts to nothing more than a sharing of an experience. Nothing is meant to be implied here, so please... don't shit in this thread. But I continue to be curious and will keep working the limits of myself, my rifle and this cartridge as I feel that there is a lot more to be had. But I did want to share my experience with others and hopefully expand your horizons a bit.
grin.gif

This is what 2296 yds. looks like...

DSC02542enh.jpg

The Hardware:

DSC02537.jpg

A couple lousy pics from my broken camera. Broz sent me great pics, but didn't get any of all of us...

MontanaMarine and Broz scouting rocks for us to shoot:

IMG_5136.jpg

MontanaMarine and his 22" 30-06, Broz spotting for him:

IMG_5141.jpg

Thanks to MontanaMarine and Broz for an awesome day!

John

Re: 2296 yds. (almost!) with a 300WM....

Looking forward to more in the future. I think there might be a lot more legs in that 30-06 than we know!

John

Looks like you were actually running the 208 AMax about 200 fps faster than I was (2720/2925), which makes perfect sense comparing 30-06 to 300 WinMag, both with 22" bbl's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you were actually running the 208 AMax about 200 fps faster than I was (2720/2925), which makes perfect sense comparing 30-06 to 300 WinMag, both with 22" bbl's. </div></div>

I had considered going back to a 26" or even a 28" when it's rebarrel time, to try to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of this cartridge. But I'm starting to rethink that. So far this 22" is doing everything I could possibly ask of it. That's assuming that I could get these velocities out of another 22".

It's perfect if I add a can and I'm afraid a longer barrel would throw off the balance. If anything I might go to a slightly heavier profile and have it fluted for better heat dissipation. This thing gets hot FAST.

It definitely flies in the face of established thinking about magnum barrel length requirements.

John

John - Way to go guys!!!

Thanks for the range report & glad to see you guys are continually stretching your limits in this area!! Training at these ranges makes the closer engagements, say inside 1K seem like a gimme with favorable field conditions... Mentally, what a confidence builder - Hope to see MM, yourself, & maybe meet Broz someday at AR sometime in the not so distant future.

I just recorded my longest confirmed engagement to date at the 2010 ITRC event in Gillette Wyoming this past week. My secondary correction calculations that Joe & I have been working on refining were spot on the money - at a reported distance of 2200 yards. To bad the observers were watching the wrong target, on the wrong ridge... Poor communication on my part I guess?? Good thing my bullet leaves a unique signature, which leaves little doubt they were mine ;O)

Aug ><>

Sounds as though you guys had a good time. Yes we are bleesed to live where we live, I'm down in Dillon and we have some great shots here as well. If you are ever in the neighborhood PM me and we will sling some lead...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John - Way to go guys!!!</div></div>

Thanks Aug! Still working on my long game, but also paying attention to fundamentals and wind calls. Every outing is a huge learning opportunity. On the steep part of the curve right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just recorded my longest confirmed engagement to date at the 2010 ITRC event in Gillette Wyoming this past week. My secondary correction calculations that Joe & I have been working on refining were spot on the money - at a reported distance of 2200 yards. To bad the observers were watching the wrong target, on the wrong ridge... Poor communication on my part I guess?? Good thing my bullet leaves a unique signature, which leaves little doubt they were mine ;O)

Aug ><>
</div></div>

Congratulations! I'm assuming that was the .50?

We had two spotting scopes with reticles at this shoot. Made it really easy to explain what we were going to shoot at. "Here, look at where the crosshairs are pointed."
grin.gif
Not sure if you can do that in a match.
wink.gif

John

Aug, I'm looking forward to making it to your ranch again. Maybe this fall if you are having field precision matches.

John, The biggest eye-opener for me this get together we had was in using the anti-cant bubble level on Broz's 6BR. Definitely going to put one of those on my 30-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, The biggest eye-opener for me this get together we had was in using the anti-cant bubble level on Broz's 6BR. Definitely going to put one of those on my 30-06. </div></div>

I know... it seems like such a straight forward thing. I'm a finish carpenter... a good one. I should know plumb and level, right? HAH! Since I've had my bubble, I'm AMAZED at how often I'm screwed up. And it makes a bigger difference the further we shoot.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">& maybe meet Broz someday at AR sometime in the not so distant future. Aug ><>
</div></div>

Aug, I would love to come to one of your shoots. Been hearing about them for quite some time from TRGRMAN and Smokin99. They sound like a ton of fun! So hopefully, I will kake it to one soon.

Jeff

jrob I just sent you the pics I took. Sure was a great day of shooting. We definatly need to meet up again. Both you and Montana Marine are great to shoot with I really enjoyed it.

Thanks!

Jeff

John - Yes, heavy guns are about the only thing I am running presently -hence my unique bullet signature.

Aug ><>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John, The biggest eye-opener for me this get together we had was in using the anti-cant bubble level on Broz's 6BR. Definitely going to put one of those on my 30-06. </div></div>

I know... it seems like such a straight forward thing. I'm a finish carpenter... a good one. I should know plumb and level, right? HAH! Since I've had my bubble, I'm AMAZED at how often I'm screwed up. And it makes a bigger difference the further we shoot.

John </div></div>

I think we were working around 800 yds or so with the 6BR, and being about 3/4 bubble off had me missing consistently about 10" left. As soon as I leveled up, right on the money. I had no idea I was so jacked up until one of you mentioned looking at the level. My brain thought I was good to go, but I wasn't even close.

It's easier to be off level when your firing point is on natural (uneven) terrain, shooting at targets uphill/downhill with no vertical reference, sitting on sloping ground themselves. In comparison, being on a commercial range with a fairly level firing line, and shooting at targets with vertical frames, gives the ol' brain some references to work with.

Jeff, Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm going with this type:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=21170/sku/30mm_Black_Anti_Cant_Device

Being a LH shooter, I have my ocular lense cap twisted to the right so my bolt can clear the thumb latch. So, with the cap open I have clear line of sight over the top, so I'll mount the bubble just aft of the elevation turret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff, Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm going with this type:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=21170/sku/30mm_Black_Anti_Cant_Devie</div></div>

Thats cool. If you want to borrow one you are welcome to. I have used one bolted to the rail to get me close on the tube mounted ones. But a plumb bob line at 100 yards is a better method

Jeff

Hey MM, Have you taken the "crash Test Dummy" w/ 208's to a mile? We are anxious to know if the 208's go sideways and fall out of the sky when they go transonic. Actually you probably answered that with the '06 / 208 at 2720 - probably went subsonic at about 1650 where you are? were they hitting straight? Man I need A new Scope with a bit more elevation!

Sioux

Low Sioux, A couple winters back I shot the 208s out of my 1/12 twist 308 at 2480 fps MV, out to 1850-ish yards. They were hitting point first. Retained velocity would have been around 980 fps.

I was unable to spot my hits, but after five rounds I went to the target and found them a few yards short. They all appeared to hit point on, judging from the furrows in the snow.

The target with bullet hits visible in the snow,
Img_7481.jpg

One of the bullets recovered from the ground,
Img_7483.jpg

This was the same load used on this target at 1120 yards,
Img_7466.jpg

Yep,in that case a new Scope and a new swaro are definitely called for. Well, as they say "it's only money you just make more". until then I'll just live vicariously through you guys! now all we need are some 208's on the shelves I'm down to 50

Sioux

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jrob, I may have to look you guys up next time I'm up there. looks like fun. </div></div>

I told you we have fun up here! Any time you're in town, bring your stick.

John

I shot 2000yds once . . . not sure where the bullet went though!!! Is that the new vortex HD scope on the nearest rifle on the left? I just shot a box test with one and it passed with flying colors. I wish they made it in black.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the new vortex HD scope on the nearest rifle on the left? </div></div>

Yeah,

Here's a better pic:

IMG_0141crop.jpg

I really like the scope, but it's a beast! It tracks great and the controls are awesome, but it sure takes up some space on a rifle!

John