• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22BR and 6BR AI magazine kit poll.....

Re: 22BR and 6BR AI magazine kit poll.....

Ok guys, I cant be the only guy shooting a BR around here....

Be handy if there was already a mag done up that took the 6mm BR and .22 BR and fitted the AI chassis for sure !!

I have done a very similar mod to a 5rd aics mag with good results. However I have recently converted a 223 aics mag. The 223 mag works better than the 5rd 308 mag and it holds 7 rounds.

IMO the one to modify is the 223 mag, it's less work, holds more rounds, is cheaper, and most importantly it works better.

I tried that with the AICS 10 rounder but the lips got a bit thin on me and it it was not quite reliable.

I get where to cut on the 223 mag, but what tool did you use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seven mm could you explain or PM me on how you did this

thanks </div></div>

I'd like to be in on that too. I destroyed an AICS mag trying to get it to work right with 6BR. I gave up after wasting too much time and money. I thought the 223 mag would be a good option too, but then I found out it is plastic and I didn't know how that would work out and thought I'd let someone else try it before I dumped a bunch of money into another failed 6BR repeater.

I just relegated myself to the fact that the 6BR is a poor choice for a repeater, simply do to its dimensions. Short fat cases with sharp shoulders and long projectiles just don't make good repeater rounds. I love the round, don't get me wrong. I got it to work ok some of the time, I just couldn't get it to work great all of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seven mm could you explain or PM me on how you did this

thanks</div></div>

Take your aics 223 mag apart. Take some masking tape and place it on the outside of the feedlips marking them at 0.400" wide, this serves as a simple visual reference of how much you need to take off/remove. Take a mill if you have one or a dremel, like I did
blush.gif
and tkae your time and open it up. When this is done drop a 6br round in from the bottom, you will see that the mag narrows at the top before the round gets to the feed lips. This area needs to be sanded/ground open enouogh to allow the cartridge to get to the feed lips, sand this out at the same angle the feelips are at, go slow and keep checking with your test round.

This should only take you 15-20 minutes, it's a quick fix and if I was going to do any more I would modify these mags before a 5rd 308 mag just because it is easier and you end up with more capacity.

This last section has to do with how the mag sits in your bottom metal, with my 6br this was the key to what made it feed without flaw.

The last thing you need to do is insert the mag into your rifle, after it has latched grab the mag and see how much up and down slop there is, on my badgger m5 it fits tight as it should, however on my surgeon dbm there is a lot of up and down slop, enough that I would get stove pipe type jams, I tried this on both my surgeon dbm's with equal amounts of slop, imo this needs to be fixed by remoming the "tbar" release on the surgeon and welding more material to the top of the release then grind it down to where it needs to be. The other way to fix this is to take a bit of devcon and add length to the release catch on the magazine, once it's set up file it square. Make it so the mag seats easily but without much up and down slop. By doing these things my 6br fed great, better than it ever has.

Good luck guys,

Matt

brand692, dont give up!! Theres gotta be a way!!

wow that sounds like a pain in the ass, I have a 6 dasher repeater that works fairly well with 5rd aics mags. however I am about to ream mine out to 243ai just because I miss having one. their is just something special about 115dtacs at 3200fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2 dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brand692, dont give up!! Theres gotta be a way!! </div></div>

You aren't kidding. I just got so fed up with throwing away money and time on it that I gave up.

There are a few guys, sevenmm being one of them, that get it to work. I just never have had the ability to make it happen. I've seen video and the 700 SA conversion that worked well, but, alas, I am without dremel skills.

Thanks for the reply sevenmm.

Yes thank you for the info 7mm

does anyone know of a company that does this mod for you ?

6mmbr.com has an article on a guy that shoots tactical matchs with his aics 6br with no hiccups. A buddy of mine that I sold one of my 6brs to bought an aics and put the barreled action into it and has not had one problem with his. He doesn't do tactical matchs. He just shoots at the range but he hasn't had any problems what so ever. He hasn't modified anything to the mag or the gun. He has me thinking I should go ahead and do it to my remaining 6br.

Any more info on this, I'm deciding on a build, at precent I'm between .223, .223AI and 6br.

The mag issue is the only thing holding me back in the BR, I'm surprised that there is not greater demand for a functional 6br magazine solution.

Rath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any more info on this, I'm deciding on a build, at precent I'm between .223, .223AI and 6br.

The mag issue is the only thing holding me back in the BR, I'm surprised that there is not greater demand for a functional 6br magazine solution.

Rath </div></div>

Google.com and search "6br mag fed". There are more stories like this out there and no need to drag up year old threads about it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BUMP for pictures</div></div>

AICS 5 shot mag next to a Sako 6PPC mag, both will feed the 22BR.

001.jpg

002.jpg

did anyone end up making a kit of some sort to convert the 10 shot AI mags for 6BR?
I just did a bit of searching and found this thread.

I'm doing a 6BR howa shortly and was going to mill up some delrin or similar inserts for the 308 mags to get them to feed. The AI 223 plastic mags look like an easier fix with a couple of mods but won't hold 10 rounds.

If there's something readily available for the 10 round mags though I'll just buy them if they work well.

Cheers,
Greg

God would i love to see someone make a nice reliable mag for them that you could buy. I am not into single shots any more and for that reason i have not built 1. I wish someone would step up to the plate and make some, i'm sure they would be a big hit and sell like hot cakes.

Just to revisit this thread a little, I did some more work with a AI 223 magazine and got it working pretty good in my 22 BR. Not flawlessly, but pretty good. I think with a little fine tuning I believe it would work out pretty good.

Still all in all, if you dont want to go through all this trouble, a 223 AI might be a better option. Its pretty close ballistically and mine are quite accurate as well.

EZaccuracy here on the hide did my AI mags for a 6.5 BR.

I've had a play around with the AI 223 mags, Alpha 308 mags and a C-Products mag. The C-Products mag has a rib down the side that actually comes in far enough to locate the case on the neck. I'm hopefully finishing getting a barrel on the rifle today and I can have a play and see how it feeds. I need to shorten the follower and make a spacer for the back of the mag but I think that it might work well.

The AI 223 mags look good as well with a slight mod to let the round feed out the top but won't hold 10 so I haven't looked a lot further.

I'll post up some photos once I've actually done something rather than thinking about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EZaccuracy here on the hide did my AI mags for a 6.5 BR. </div></div>
What did he do, Emilio? Which mag, the .308 or .223?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2 dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to revisit this thread a little, I did some more work with a AI 223 magazine and got it working pretty good in my 22 BR. Not flawlessly, but pretty good. I think with a little fine tuning I believe it would work out pretty good.

Still all in all, if you dont want to go through all this trouble, a 223 AI might be a better option. Its pretty close ballistically and mine are quite accurate as well. </div></div>
What kind of smokepole are we talking about? 700, AI, Savage? What kind of stock? What mods did you do? The devil is in the details.

I'm sorry I have been out of town. He used 308 AI mags. I'm not sure what he did to them.

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder how it would work out using 115 DTACS in 6br/brx with the throating and OAL way out.

I have one 6br case left so I was able to load a 115 to 2.555 OAL.It fed perfectly from a 10 round AI mag.

I wish I had nine more to try for you.

I spent Sunday sorting out my difficulties with the 6BR feeding through the 10 rnd. AI .308 mag. I previously tried a shim in the front of the magazine, for this method you have to chop off about 3/8" from the front of the follower and cut or bend that much of the spring. I bent it, which turned out to be a lucky move. The front shim method blows chunks, avoid at all costs. Yesterday I made a shim for the rear of the mag and it feeds dummies perfectly, all 10. I used the altered follower from the front shim method so I bent the spring back to flat and chopped off the rear (about 3/8"). By this time the follower was looking questionable and I was worried I'd effed up a perfectly good $80 magazine. Luckily, the dummies fed beautifully after I massaged the shim to allow the flat spring to expand and contract freely. Now the only thing remaining is to test it with live rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thinking out loud here but I wonder how it would work out using 115 DTACS in 6br/brx with the throating and OAL way out.

I have one 6br case left so I was able to load a 115 to 2.555 OAL.It fed perfectly from a 10 round AI mag.

I wish I had nine more to try for you. </div></div>
You'll probably need a 7.5 twist barrel to stabilize the 115's. A 6BR won't have enough gas and a 6BRX is questionable.

I made a front shim for a 5 round AICS mag a couple weeks ago. I did have to tweak the feed lips slightly to let the rounds sit higher in the mag, but once that mod was done I was running 100%. Before that the 3rd round only was not quite coming up high enough and the bolt was running over the top of the case.

Another thing - for those of you using a rear block, what are you doing to the spring at the follower since the spring is riveted to the follower?

For my AI 308 mag, I used a modified AR15 follower. The spring I found that worked best for me was a shortened AK74 mag spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another thing - for those of you using a rear block, what are you doing to the spring at the follower since the spring is riveted to the follower? </div></div>
Nothing... you can cut off approx. 3/8" of the rear end of the follower without impacting the spring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolloxinaspanner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another thing - for those of you using a rear block, what are you doing to the spring at the follower since the spring is riveted to the follower? </div></div>
Nothing... you can cut off approx. 3/8" of the rear end of the follower without impacting the spring. </div></div>

Interesting - not on the one that I just modified. The spring was all the way to the rear of the follower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolloxinaspanner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. Now the only thing remaining is to test it with live rounds.</div></div>
Test completed. Runs like a champ. No defects, no hic-ups...like butter.
I also bought an AICS .223 magazine and opened up the feed lips and the front area where the bullet tips egress from the mag. This is very simple and can and should be done with hand tools (1/2 rnd. fine bastard) as removing too much material will turn it to rubbish. I really like the .223 magazine for 6BR as it is lighter and has a more positive grip. It will only hold 7-6BR rounds and I intend to use it for XTC matches which only require 5 rounds.

Dunno about ai brand mag but the mcree ai mag can be modified with a block in the rear and have done this with my mill. Modified the follower by milling off the rear and milling a aluminum block to pop in place, no follower work needed to use with my 308 covert" basically a 30 ppc with 30 deg shoulder"

Over 114 rounds fired and the modded 5 rounder holds 6 .

covert762.jpg

I finally got a chance to get the 223 AI mags sorted this afternoon to feed the 6BR. It took about 1/2 hour each plus a little fine tuning. It feeds beautifully now, video below:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAZ6-X5i-vo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAZ6-X5i-vo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

We took some hi impact plastic and built some custom followers and put a spacer in the rear of the mag. It fed like butter from an AI 10 round magazine but because the follower wants to tilt we decided to have longer "legs" on the follower which reduced the capacity to 8 rounds. Testing continues, but Im not sure we can get a 10 shot 22 or 6 BR magazine.