• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR Accurizer/Hollowpointer Report

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
A while back I bought a hollowpointer/accurizer tool. There were doubts expressed as to whether the modified bullets would perform.

I ran a 100 yard test. However, before we get to that test, let me walk you through the process of making the ammo.

282e7d7b.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Here are the components to the hollowpointer...</span>

Fairly simple setup, but precise.

329dafff.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">The first step is to put the round in the bottom block.</span>

bdbf6c38.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Assemble, and put on some sort of press - even a hammer will work.</span>

7179d269.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Pull the handle...</span>

d4bc80bd.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">... and a gaping hollowpoint (depending on depth settings) results.</span>

But how do they perform?

They do shoot more accurately than unmodified ammo, but to the same point of aim. This is probably because they've been set to a standard size, and because the center of mass is further back. This is speculation however. I just know it <span style="font-style: italic">works</span>!

I set up four water jugs at 100 yards, and fired into them.

These are the results:

a879aa44.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">This is the first jug. It's pretty well shredded.</span>

93ecf6a8.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">A line of all four jugs...</span>

19542b88.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Here's a bullet I recovered from right beyond the fourth jug...</span>

e84dfe34.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Two more stopped inside the fourth jug.</span>

I believe the variation in penetration is due to the fact that I fired 10 rounds, and kept firing after the jugs were pretty well empty. I tried this test before with three jugs and failed to recover any. I therefore added a fourth jug and kept firing until empty to try to get a few decent samples.

9de66a41.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">This is a picture of the unmodified round, modified round, and the three bullets I was able to recover.</span>

Keep in mind that this is CCI 40gn LRN I modified. Their website lists the velocities thus:

Muzzle 1235

50 yards 1092

75 yards 1040

100 yards 998

So, when the bullet impacted, it was acting as a heavy .22 short. Yet, it still expanded to over .36".

These are doing better than my old standby, Winchester Xpert, and are of course more consistent.

I'm impressed.

Josh <><

Re: .22LR Accurizer/Hollowpointer Report

Would love to a similar test done with Wolf Match...

How long to do 50 rounds and do you have a link to it? My Dad had something similiar years ago that put a heavy flat point on them, very close to an LBT solid and it was amazing what penetration you could get out of them, much more reliable than round nose lead when we were shooting hogs in traps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long to do 50 rounds and do you have a link to it? My Dad had something similiar years ago that put a heavy flat point on them, very close to an LBT solid and it was amazing what penetration you could get out of them, much more reliable than round nose lead when we were shooting hogs in traps. </div></div>

Hello,

I do about 100 rounds in an hour or so, depending on the point type (comes with flat, cupped, regular, and hollow points).

Josh <><

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you buy this ?? </div></div>

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=16162

I think that should work.

I have no financial interest in this product; I tried it and was really impressed - and I'm really not all that easily impressed.

Josh <><

I see that it supposedly sizes it down to .224. Might make for better accuracy out of an AR equipped with a 22lr conversion kit?

It should. Anything you can do to make ammo more uniform will contribute to accuracy.

YMMV, of course, as every weapon is a law unto itself.

Josh <><

Where did you find the tool? I would like to get one of those set-ups myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would love to a similar test done with Wolf Match...</div></div>

+1

Any comparison between this one and Neil Waltz's dies?

Hello,

No, no experience with Neil Waltz's stuff.

I would, however, like to get my hands on one - esp since his screw into the press.

Josh <><

Thanks for the link. Got my accurizer from the man and am ready to try it out.

Been kicking around the idea of getting one of these for about a year now.
Always been discouraged by the poor results reported by semi-auto users.

Ordered a Watz die last week.
2549186287_65593a68e3_o.jpg

(PIC I found on the web for those that don't know what it looks like.)
Just made more sense to me to use a press mounted setup.
Once it gets here I'll be doing some testing to see what kind of results I can get with it.
I will post the results when complete.

Ive been using the Neil Waltz die set for a while now...makes exceptional hollowpoints and does tighten group size up...running through the die makes rounds much more uniform...

It would be dirt simple and cheap to just make a sleeve for a Redding or Forster seating die that does that. You would get the benefit of the mic and avoid the threading.

I shot the group on the target in the die pic and the best thing I can tell you is to start with just a little resizing. Seems like everyone starts out making a HUGE hollowpoint and I have found out that is not the way to go for accuracy. It takes just a VERY little change in the die setting to really change the accuracy. You will have fun with this new toy.