• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR Benchrest Rifle

Airzoo Guy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Michigan, USA
I've got the chance to buy one of two rifles:

1. Custom rifle build on Lawton receiver, with Shilen rachet barrel with tuner and Jewell trigger in a TM stock.
2. Anschutz 2013 BR rifle in factory stock with Lilja barrel and a tuner (Anschutz barrel also included), Anschutz trigger.

Which would you prefer, and why? I'm having a hard time choosing, and the costs are similar.

Thanks,

John

if it was me I would choose the Annie. Why because with the stock barrel they are ridiculous accurate, add a lilja and tuner and it can only get better. Both sound like solid rigs, but if you never owned and Anschutz you won't be sorry

Depends what it's for.
Sanctioned matches go with the Lawton. Do you know who built it?
Fart around local stuff maybe the annie - you could play with indexing if it's coned.
bedding the 2013's can be an issue.
Either way you'll need to find a good lot of ammo and learn how to drive it.

just my 2cent here THE ANNIE
most used custom rifle,(and i use most losely) are up for sell for a reason,
if you can shoot them both(test drive so to speak) do so
custom bulit rifle come with a hi$ of bulding, then drop in value from day one.
but the annie with a factory barrel back on it will alway get most of yor cash back, if you want to sell
now before some one junps my shit i did say my 2cent worth,
but history at the TACTICAL matches around have had annie's most alway's in the top 5.
like i said some place on another thread i do shoot brenchrest any more.
why (well to me boring as hell) thats all
YO

Which Lawton action? I like the right-bolt left-port in a BR gun. But, still... probably the Annie would be my choice.

Anschutz. It's just what you do in rimfire.

Shoot 'em both and take the more accurate...duh. If you can't do that take the 2013, way better resale. NOBODY SELLS A WINNING BENCHREST 22 to a stranger, they get passed from friend to friend who KNOW the capabilities of the particular rifle. If you ain't on the inside.......you're on the outside and that is especially true in the inbred world of BR 22.

Last edited:
Depends what it's for.
Sanctioned matches go with the Lawton. Do you know who built it?
Fart around local stuff maybe the annie - you could play with indexing if it's coned.
bedding the 2013's can be an issue.
Either way you'll need to find a good lot of ammo and learn how to drive it.

Pillaring and bedding a flat bottom 2013 is dead easy. Just have to muck around with the 4 bolt recesses which is a bit of a pain but not all that bad.

Mark Penrod just built one for my father. Its a 54 with a Mcmillan stock, tuner and Benchmark barrel. Without even dialing in the tuner its insane how well she shoots. I have to say it cost $1000 to bed and rebarrel. Pretty high if you ask me. There are some great deals on used BR rifles out there.

If it were me, I'd buy another Cooper, but sense it's not one of the choices, I'd vote for the Annie.
Bill

If it were me, I'd buy another Cooper, but sense it's not one of the choices, I'd vote for the Annie.
Bill

If it were me I would build a new rifle using a Stiller 2500X action. If I was buying used I would look for a 2500X or a Older Turbo action. The 2500X will be made into a repeater soon and should make a great trainer set up