• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .22LR Chamber hone?

Gundoc

Sgt
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2014
DFW, Texas
Evening all,

looking at a buddies .22LR pistol that doesn’t like extraction.
it’s got some light scoring inside the chamber that I think may well be the culprit.
Anyone know of a decent flex home for .22LR- can only seem to find one for .17HMR/ 22Mag

AFAIK there isn't a flex-hone available for .22 LR, the larger diameter magnum seems to be the practical limit for those.

A properly sized brass rod can be slotted and used with wet and dry paper.

Reactions: Gundoc
Use a soft wood stick and polishing compound

What kind of pistol is it? Has it had a lot of dry-firing or having the slide/bolt slam home? Good chance that there's some peening on the breech face.

What pistol??? Exactly what is it doing?

You can take a worn out barrel brush and wrap it with some fine steel wool and put it on a short cleaning rod and spin with a drill.
Sound crude but it's what I was shown by a gunsmith who does bench rest rifles when he taught me to chamber a barrel.

Reactions: Gunsmith PJ
I have never seen a 22 pistol that wasn't a blowback action. The bullet is gone and pressure dropped before the bolt moves a fraction of an inch. Inertia drives the bolt not gas pressure. Minor scratches in the chamber don't have any bite on the cartridge case during extraction. I would trouble shoot in this order... Clean and properly lube the pistol. Make sure the extractor is clean and whatever tensions it is clean. Make sure the extractor hook isn't worn. It should hold an empty case against he bolt recess. Use a 243 barrel brush to clean the chamber making sure there is no carbon/lead ring at the end of the chamber/throat. If none of that cures the problem try other magazines.