• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22lr rail MOA. What am I missing?

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
I’m seeing 20-30 MOA rails for a T1x. With most modern scopes having 80 or more MOA which should get most ammo out last 200, why are people using 20-30 MOA rails?? Is it simply to get to 300? If so 10 MOA should do it. What am I missing?

A lot of people shoot past 200. I've had matches go out to 350.

Reactions: mrtoyz
80 or so moa, is 40 up and 40 down. So for example if you are using an 80moa scope, then you probably want a 30moa base, and get yourself 70 up, and 10 down to zero.

Reactions: JKW70
At what point do you loose the ability to zero at 25-50 would be my first thought

At what point do you loose the ability to zero at 25-50 would be my first thought

Yup depends on scope. I have a 40 MOA with my Strike Eagle and have a 50 yard zero and still have 6 mils below zero. Zeroed my AMG and Razor II on there no issues either.

I was eyeing a 35moa, because with a 20moa I have to hold 8 mils after my scope is topped out to hit 500 yards. I only have 22 moa of down travel left to work with.

Damn 500.
I was feeling ambitious hitting small target at 200.
Scope is NF 4-32 with 26mils plus 12 more in the reticle at max. Guess it couldn’t hurt to do 20moa rail if I can still zero at 50’ish

You could go with a 30-40 also if you wanted to go farther. I have dialed out just past 500 with my scope and still 50 yard zero.

Reactions: SourMash
We’ll just opened the NF 4-32. The info on Europtics that said there was 12mils in the reticle at max was completely wrong. Only 4mils at max. Likely won’t be max mag a ton but that is a problem with MOA now. 20moa it is!

30MOA base
20MOA scope rings
Razor Gen2 4.5-27

Zeroed at 50 no problem with SK ammo, but definitely almost bottomed out the turret.

We’ll just opened the NF 4-32. The info on Europtics that said there was 12mils in the reticle at max was completely wrong. Only 4mils at max. Likely won’t be max mag a ton but that is a problem with MOA now. 20moa it is!

Pretty sure that at max magnification I see 12 mils. I see 6 left 6 right 6 up 6 down. What do you mean you only see 4mils?

Not sure how the fov at max magnification has anything to do with the moa on your rail. I'm confused.
I’m referring to how many mils of elevation I can see in the reticle when at max mag. Again not going to be shooting at max mag a lot but obviously available mils in the reticle directly correlates to how many mils/MOA I need in a mount.

Not really. No FFP shows you the whole reticle at max power. The amount of moa you have in the base has nothing to do with that. Honestly you should have more moa in the base so you can dial farther and won't need to hold as much in the reticle.

Yes. I understand FFP. Wasn’t aware distances past 200 were a regular thing. Really surprised at the distances you guys are shooting these 22 rigs. Very cool.
The amount I want to get in a base directly correlates to how much I need based how far I plan to shoot, on the round, scope elevation and the amount of reticle available at any given mag. I get it. Just was missing how far y’all are shooting

Not really. No FFP shows you the whole reticle at max power. The amount of moa you have in the base has nothing to do with that. Honestly you should have more moa in the base so you can dial farther and won't need to hold as much in the reticle.
I do see your point about dialing as opposed to holding. My hope is to use this a trainer thus holding will be part of the goal.

I still don't understand why holding vs not holding, how the moa on the rail has anything to do with that. You put a rail on, and you zero your scope.

Your rail has nothing to do with how much you are going to hold. You zero your rifle, and holdovers are based on your zero. All a rail does is allow you to dial more, it doesn't change anything to do with holds.

Reactions: squishee and Rob01
I do see your point about dialing as opposed to holding. My hope is to use this a trainer thus holding will be part of the goal.

But that won’t matter if you are using it on lower power anyways. I think something is getting lost in translation as you can still hold with a 40 moa base but you can also dial. No downside. With a 20 you won’t be able to dial as far and will have to hold for longer. If just shooting to 200 then either will work.

Reactions: STex
Youre right. I must be loosing something in translation.
As my original post said I was just trying to figure out why these large rails were being used when by my simple math I could get to 200’ish yard with elevation and my reticle and not rail cant. I wasn’t understanding people were shooting out to 500. Thus the need for the large rail MOA.

I still don't understand why holding vs not holding, how the moa on the rail has anything to do with that. You put a rail on, and you zero your scope.

Your rail has nothing to do with how much you are going to hold. You zero your rifle, and holdovers are based on your zero. All a rail does is allow you to dial more, it doesn't change anything to do with holds.

That's typical of someone with a poor grasp of how optics work.

And why we are here to help guide and help form an understanding.
Completely agree and all too common attitude on the various forums and social media platforms and groups. Embrace and help people with similar 2A interests in a world where it is becoming less common and not PC.

Reactions: Brazo
I run 20moa base and 40moa in rings. With my Ares ETR (34mil available) and 35y zero, I can direct dial to 440y. 325-375y are common at my match.
What rings do you use?

What rings do you use?
Burris XTR Signature.
image.jpg

I run a 40 moa rail on my vudoo. With my 3x15 pst gen 2 I can get to 400 yards with a 50 yd zero. I liked my nightforce on that rifle for the fact I had 25 more minutes to dial, but I couldn't parralax down to 20 yds with that nxs. 40 moa rail made sense in that case with the scope I was using to maximize the potential of that specific scope I decided to use. Fun shooting long range with a quality 22lr!!

Reactions: A&8's