• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.22lr scope compatibility?

curranlemp

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2012
NM, USA
Hello all,
I have a T/C 22 Classic. It is a semi auto 22lr. I recently got a Burris Signature Select scope 8-32x44 on a good deal. For kicks I wanted to put the scope on the 22. I know it is too much scope for the gun but I was excited and didn't have another gun to put it on. However, I can get the scope zeroed. At 50 yards with the elevation topped out the gun is still shooting low. The elevation adjustment is 1/8 MOA clicks with a total range of 30 MOA. I was shooting 40grain bullets with an advertised muzzle velocity of 1080fps. Do these bullets drop more that 7 inches at 50 yards? I couldn't believe it so I have come here to get some ideas.

I have double checked the rings I am using with calipers and have verified they are identical in height. So thats not the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

Re: .22lr scope compatibility?

In my ballistics calculator I get 6" drop at 50yds so that sounds about right. I'm basing that off of my SK Standard Plus MV of 992.7fps (chronographed out of a 16" barrel). The published MV for that is either 1050 or 1080 so yeah... don't go with published MVs as they are usually not applicable to your rifle due to barrel length.

What type of rings are you using out of curiosity?

Most .22LR have a dovetail machined into them. I believe the "standard" US size is 3/8 in, though you do find 11mm sometimes. I've had good success with Burris Zee 22 signature rings with the Pos-Align offset inserts for my rifles I can't put a 25MOA rail on. The rings come with adapters for 11mm and 3/8 in dovetails. If your scope is a 1 inch tube the inserts can be set up to give you ~30 MOA. The rings and inserts will run $60-$70, but should give you enough adjustment to stretch out to 100+ yds without maxing out your elevation adjustment. 32x is only slight overkill for a .22LR, I run 20x and 24x on most of my .22LR.
smile.gif
Hope that helps.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/product_p/bur420554.htm

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Burris_1_Signature_Zee_Ring_Pos_Align_Offset_Inse_p/bur626019.htm

Interesting, I had that same issue with my Burris 4x12 compact that I placed on my 10/22. I had a one peace mount that screwed directly to the rugged receiver. I ran out of adjustment zeroing 50 meters. I ended up stoning the base until I was adjustable from 50-100. I thought about lower rings... What height are yours? Would excessive height from the bore contribute?

Mike, I had the same issue with MY 10/22 but the prevailing factor with ours is barrel droop. This is due to the barrel not being threaded to the receiver (I'm assuming yours is like mine). What I ended up doing on my Ruger is put pads under the barrel in the channel at varying distances to A) eliminate barrel droop and B) provide the most accuracy. It took a while to find the sweet spot, but I did and it does very well now.

Curran, Bunsen is correct on the idea of shimming your back ring at the base. It will essentially give you a canted base and the adjustment you're looking for.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. Glad to hear i'm not the only one. So shimming the base/rings on a 22 is normal then? I'm not sure what brand of rings they are but it is a weaver type base. I ended up putting a piece of paper board under the rear ring and it fixed the problem. It just seems like you shouldn't have to, you know?

A sheet of paper isn't a big deal, but shims belong under the base, and not under the rings. Significantly more shim value than that under a ring can contribute to ring/tube misalignments, which can, in turn, cause scope ring dings and even tube flex issues.

My first move would have been to swap the front ring for the rear. If that worked, it would mean thet ring heights were not exactly matched. With that being the case, the ring/tube misalignment issue could again become a possibility; and my next step would have been to swap the rings out for another set.

I know this is teduious, and we're 'only talking about a .22'; but scopes deserve being treated with proper respect, no matter what they're being mounted upon.

Again, shim the base, not the ring.

Greg