• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.22lr Scopes

sprice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2011
Utah
Ok I've done some digging around and decided I would like a cz .22. But what glass to pair with it? I've narrowed it down to a few scopes so please help me decide which is best for my needs. I'm using it as a trainer to one day shoot .338 or .308 at long range, so I'm going to be pushing the limits of the .22lr cartridge.

1. Bushnell 10x40 Elite Tactical Rifle Scope (<span style="font-size: 8pt">I can't find anymore 3200's, unless they're the same; I think they've been discontinued</span>)

2. Mueller 4.5-14x40 All Purpose Tactical 30mm Riflescope

3. SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

4. SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

<span style="font-size: 8pt">http://swfa.com/Bushnell-10x40-Elite-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P48273.aspx
http://swfa.com/Mueller-45-14x40-All-Purpose-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P44586.aspx
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P501.aspx
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx
</span>

This Nikon Buckmaster is now also in the running- http://swfa.com/Nikon-45-14x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42210.aspx

Re: .22lr Scopes

This one:
4. SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

its got parallax adjustment down to 10m and is very clear for the money.

Bushnell is parallaxed at 100 yards so you can scratch that one off of your list.

I'd personnaly go with Nikon Buckmaster mildot. SWFA SS 10x42 is another great option.

I picked up a mueller apt about one year ago because of all the positive reviews, but wasnt really impressed with it. Turrets were mushy and not very positive or audible. Glass was okay, what you would expect in this price range, but I think there are quite a few used scopes with better glass in the above range.

Of the above scopes, I would go with the SS 10x42 for the reliability and parallax adjustment. I like the glass better on the bushnell 10x40, but as VYD pointed out it's set at 100yds.

If you are looking for variables, check out the WOTAC 4-14x50. I have one on a 22lr and its a good scope for the money, and good cs from what I hear (have not had any problems yet so havent had to use it). You can find them at good prices used, I picked up a generation 5 4-14x50 for $260 shipped.
Also check out the Primary Arms 4-16x44. I have heard good reviews on this scope and the CS, and am actually thinking about picking one up to go on my loaner 22lr. Although, I am not a big fan of illuminated reticles in cheap scopes.

Of the ones you listed I would go with Option #3, the SWFA SS 16x42

I would choose this one over all of the rest because of the options available to you. Compared to the others:

SS16x vs. Nikon: No target turrets on the Nikon.

SS16x vs. Bushnell: I don't like the turrets on the Bushy and I personally didn't see any difference between the glass quality. Both are great scopes, although the Bushy has a fixed parallax (not a good thing, you want adjustable) and has a 1" tube compared to a 30mm tube on the SS16x.

SS16x vs. Mueller: I know nothing about mueller scopes but have read plenty of great reviews on them, I just read more great reviews on the SWFA SS series. So this is a tie I guess, Mueller is adjustable power though...

SS16x vs. SS10x: The only difference between the two of these is the power in which they are set at. 16x is still good down to 50 yards in my humble opinion. And while 10x will play very well in the long range game, 16x is still easier to use. Again, in my opinion. Many people run 10x with success at much longer distances than a 22lr will see.

To me, the SS16x just makes the most sense, but I'd still push you towards looking DEEPLY into Vortex Crossfire series if you haven't already. The glass quality is on par with all the rest you listed, variable zoom, same price range, 30mm tube, mil-dot reticle, adjustable parallax. It just has all the goodies the ones you listed have but again in my opinion is a better scope for the money. The only thing I dislike about them is that they do not have exposed target turrets like most the others you listed. And that is important to me, but it is still very doable and shouldn't be too much of a problem considering you listed the Nikon and it too lacks exposed target turrets.

Here's a link to the one I'm speaking of in case you're interested:

6-24x50mm:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45452.aspx

1" model of the same specs for half the price:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

If I could do it over, I would personally go with Vortex. It fits my needs and my budget (which were VERY similar to your own) better than all the rest and would have saved me 100-200 bucks (100 for the 30mm model; 200 for the 1" model) over the SS10x that I ended up getting.

Again, hope this helps.

Regards,

Dylan

i have a CZ452 and i was running a SWFA 10x42. it has enough internal adjustments to get you out past 200 yards w/o a canted base.

I had a Mueller APT and also didn't like it much. Don't really know what it was but the scope just didn't do it for me.

I sold the APT and purchased a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 and it is a fantastic scope. If I were to purchase another scope today, it would be the Viper. The adjustments are great and the scope is very clear.

Whatever you decide, make sure you purchase a quality scope at the top of your price range, or else you'll find yourself trying to upgrade in the very near future and loosing money in the process.

Do some reading on the site and I'm sure you'll gain the knowledge you need to make a good decision.

I would go with either of the SS scopes. I had that same buckmaster and it was pretty good and if I didn't need the funds toward a upgrade I would have put it on another rifle.

I have savage FV with SS10x. No aftermarket base. have 60.5moa left thats enough to past 300 yards.
SS10x regular(not hd) focus goes down to 10meters. It has the most moa vs the bushnell or nikon. Nikon might have an edge in glass quality.
My friend had a crossfire scope on his 22. I would only buy one of those to give to my enemy.
The elite 3200. I have one. if your shooting from 75 yards to 400 yards the parallax is not deal breaker. (realistially you should never be off more than 1.5inches)
SS16. good but I wouldnt go with mainly because you going to be stuck and 16x and when the mirage comes well your gonna be stuck.
SS10x will do all you want and more. Best bang for the buck. Its repeatable. I have cranked and cranked and cranked on it and it always come back to zero.
dont buy into the hype about more zoom. Glass trumps magnifcation anyday. Id take a SS10HD over a SS20x anyday.
Also people feel they need MORE magnification, always more. 10x is a just right, especially for a trainer.
300 bucks SS10x - cant beat that

What do you plan to do with it?

For target shooting on a square range, I like the 16X SS. For varminting or other types of field shooting where you will need a wider FOV, 10X SS or the Buckmaster should work. My dad has a 17 with the Buckmaster on it. I would go with the SS for the target turrets and the subtended reticle, but I believe it is more expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SS16x vs. SS10x: The only difference between the two of these is the power in which they are set at. 16x is still good down to 50 yards in my humble opinion. And while 10x will play very well in the long range game, 16x is still easier to use. Again, in my opinion. Many people run 10x with success at much longer distances than a 22lr will see.

To me, th</div></div>

To repeat my post, the 10X gives you a wider field of vision. If you are shooting at a range, then this is no big deal. Who cares if it takes you an extra couple of seconds to find your target. If you were doing more field-type shooting (tactical- multiple targets at unknown distance, or varminting), the FOV comes into play. There is a tradeoff there. This is why variable magnification is a nice feature.

I'm just basing my advice off of what I read in the OP's last thread where he was choosing a rifle. He only mentioned target shooting IIRC, but if hunting or more "field" like shooting will be done, then the 10x does have the upper hand. Although that's not to say that the 16x won't do the job, because it will. I like spotting my shots through the rifle scope, not through a spotting scope. At least with rimfire that is... But I spend most of my time behind a bench so I suppose I'm a bit biased
wink.gif

Carter makes a fantastic point though, to make suggestions to the best of our abilities we do need to know EXACTLY what the scope is expected to do.

I'm absolutly fine with 10x and have made much longer shots with 3x and 6x scopes in the past. Hell even Irons past 300 but when shooting at paper only, I do enjoy the higher magnification. It's just so much easier.

As far as the magnification hype goes, no it shouldn't be bought into without proper investigation of what it offers you. The reason I suggest the Crossfire series from Vortex is because it's adjustable down to below 10x for close shots, and magnifies up above that point if you wish to have a better view of your target. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Assuming the optic is of reasonable quality, and I do believe this of the Vortex scopes.

Everything is going to have trade offs when you're on a budget, so you just have to pick and choose which things you want, and which things you need. To me, I would have been better off with the Vortex over the SS10x, but that isn't to say that the 10x hasn't performed beyond expectation because it certainly has. The only thing I would worry about with the cheaper Vortex scopes is if the turrets track correctly. This I do not know, but I can assure you that the SS10x will, and if by whatever reason you find that they don't, the amazing people over at SWFA will take good care of you.

Yeah... training can mean a number of things. It could be engaging a bunch of targets at UKD or it could be shooting at the range at known distance with ample time to acquire the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..snip....To me, the SS16x just makes the most sense, but I'd still push you towards looking DEEPLY into Vortex Crossfire series if you haven't already. The glass quality is on par with all the rest you listed, variable zoom, same price range, 30mm tube, mil-dot reticle, adjustable parallax. It just has all the goodies the ones you listed have but again in my opinion is a better scope for the money. The only thing I dislike about them is that they do not have exposed target turrets like most the others you listed. And that is important to me, but it is still very doable and shouldn't be too much of a problem considering you listed the Nikon and it too lacks exposed target turrets.

Here's a link to the one I'm speaking of in case you're interested:

6-24x50mm:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45452.aspx

1" model of the same specs for half the price:
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx </div></div>

I'd like to second the recomendation of the Vortex Crossfire series. I run the 1" tube version in Burris Z-rings with Pos Align inserts (~30MOA)on my CZ452 and have been extremly pleased with it. My only issue is that the turrets a little mushy and I need to count the clicks rather than trust the turret markings. By coinceidence or design @ 24x the Mil-Dots are spaced at 1" @ 100yds (I don't typically use Mil Dot reticles so pardon my ignorence if it is "suppposed" to be like that
smile.gif
) so precise hold overs/offs are quite easy at known distance. I would also like to point out that Vortex has outstanding CS and a <span style="text-decoration: underline">full no questions lifetime warranty on all their scopes.</span> Just one additional thing to consider.
wink.gif

Vortex does make great products. My friend had a crossfire24. i did not like it one bit. I did not use the turrets on it, i would not expect a high level a repeatability as the SS though. It also has about 75 moa, vs i think about 120 in the SS. and with a 22 it dont take alot of distance to max out a scopes elevation. The optics on the vortex were not very good for the power of the magnifcation. maybe a 2-7, or 3-9. It pained my soul to look through it at 24x. 16x i felt was pushing hte absolute max of its ability, still didnt like it though. If you wanted Vortex go with a viper line or higher. Good stuff for the money. 24x crossfire, hard on the eyes. the mildot reticle doesnt even work at 24 it works at 14 or something. 12 would be better than 14, odd place to put it.

im not trying to sound like a prick or smartass. Im just saying, the rabbit or crow doesnt know what a gun is. something loud will scare either of them. whether its a radio, gunshot, a loud snap of a twig to close.
I guess i should be asking the hunters. at what range generally do you feel would be safe to shoot at critters and not spook them if you miss or hit his buddy? (other than the dirt kickup or seeing his furry pal fall over dead)

I have the Nikon 4.5-14X40 you're considering on my MKII BV...
003-20.jpg

It does have target turrets and IMHO is one of the best scopes I own. Great optics.
I also have a less expensive Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 on my project MKII G if big doesn't bother you...
006-16.jpg

Also good optics at a moderate price. Holds zero, and adjustments are repeatable.
I'm not a competition shooter, but I love dime size groups at 100 yards-my rifles and these scopes will do that and better.

You might want to take a look at the Millett TRS-1 as well. I was debating between that and the SS 16x. I decided to go with the Millett for the matching mil/mil turret and reticle and the adjustable zoom which should help getting on target quicker at close range compared to the fixed 16x. Plus if I'm shooting at 200 and the mirage is bad I can always dial down the power. It all really depends on how you plan to use it. I just received mine and am fairly impressed, though I'm still waiting on rings to mount it. The clicks are loud and tactile, but my only criticism so far is that on occasion it will slip two clicks instead of one. If it runs a box test well and consistently returns to zero after dialing out to 200 then I'll be quite happy.

"at what range generally do you feel would be safe to shoot at critters and not spook them if you miss or hit his buddy? (other than the dirt kickup or seeing his furry pal fall over dead)"

I shot 3 crows in one sitting with my .22 at 45 yards. I shoot subsonics with an "acoustic modulator" - a suppressor.

BN

I'm definitely interested in this topic. I'm looking at topping my 10/22 with some glass. Right now it's completely stock and shoots .75 5 shot groups at 50 yards all day.

Since people are dropping the Bushnell 10x mil/mil out of the running because of the parallax, my remaining options are the Weaver 3-10x mil/mil and the Millet TRS-1.

I'll be watching recommendations on this thread for sure.

Bushnell 3200 10x-40 Mil/Mil

or

SWFA SS 10x-40

They'll both serve you nicely, track really well, and wont break your bank.