• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22lr semi auto pistol

Re: .22lr semi auto pistol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It started out looking like this.
ruger2245.gif

I milled out the insert looking area and fitted the wood grips. Once the grips were fit to the inlet, I installed the bushings. I used officers model grips and modified them to fit the cut out area.

If I had it to do over, I would just mill the sides flat and install the bushings to accommodate government length grips.

The relief under the trigger guard was done with a Dremel and then smoothed and bead blasted to match.</div></div>

Thanks for the details.

My experience has been the 6 7/8" government barrels and the slab side stainless barrels shoot better than the 5 1/2" counterparts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience has been the 6 7/8" government barrels and the slab side stainless barrels shoot better than the 5 1/2" counterparts. </div></div>

I've noticed the same thing from the pile that belong to myself, dad and friends.

I chalked it up to the 20% longer sight radius.

It's more than that. I've compared them to the longer 10" version as well and still the 6 7/8" shoot better. I believe they cut a tighter chamber in these at the factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's more than that. I've compared them to the longer 10" version as well and still the 6 7/8" shoot better. I believe they cut a tighter chamber in these at the factory. </div></div>

Interesting, I've never shot the 10" version. Maybe it's just the right barrel harmonics for it... either way, I didn't know that.

I like the way my 6 7/8's balance much better to the 5 1/2's.

OK...just purchased a ruger markIII competition 6 & 7/8 slab-sided bull barrel in SS ... guess playing with the neos started all this, and all the input here sure encouraged me to take the dollar jump n give it a go. I also got the buckmark holographic sight for the neos (or either). Skunk shooting sure got costy! lol Thanx to all for the input, I'm frankly excited, it'll be here by Tuesday!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *
While I like the High Standards, they have a signficant flaw. The magazines are touchy and will misfeed unless they are carefully tuned; a skill which I never did seem to be able to perfect. At first I though it was a matter of aftermarket quality, but then the factory mags would act up on me too. A friend tuned mine finally, but now he's gone and so are my High Standards.

Greg

I've never had a problem with mine, these were built back in the 60's and 70's so maybe a different batch. The Duromatic I got when I was 14 for $40.00 is basically a smooth bore, but still runs. Running a brick of 22lr every weekend will wear out a barrel after while.

</div></div>

True to a point. The original factory mags usually worked well and without any glitches, but the aftermarket ones were another story. A buddy had a tool made especially for tuning H/S magazine lips,.

Greg

+ another one for Ruger. MKII Target with the 5.5" heavy barrel is what I have and I don't see why you would need to make any mods. Mine shoots fine out of the box. I have adjusted the overtravel on the trigger to minimum (PITA!) and after firing endless bricks AND DRY FIRING finally had to replace the roll pin that retains the firing pin when it broke in half. I cut down a dull 1/8" drill bit and used that. No problems! Firing pin is still fine.

I have an old b-square full length rib/scope mount that I stuck on it with a 2.5-8x Leupold pistol scope. With even bulk .22 ammo it will outshoot most .22 rifles that I own (only <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">most</span></span> because I have an Anschutz).

I picked up a beretta neos last year and i love! its about the uglyest gun you have ever seen but it feel amazing and you can change handles and barrels is seconds! and it has a full length rail so you can mount anything you want on it. i bought the six inch model and its a tack driver!

I had a bad experience with Sig Mosquito, shot one and at least 1 in 10 rounds had a feeding issue.

I have an old Colt Match Target and am amazed at how accurately it shots every time I take it out.

I have a Browning Buckmark Bulseye and Sig Hammerli Trailside. Both a super accurate and fun. I think the Trailsides are no longer in production though. I heard Hammerli teamed up with Walther.
either way I would recommend which ever was available to you.

I have owned a slab side MKII target and bull both 6-7/8 for quite a while they both have been very good except for changing out to hardened Volquartesen extractors. I bought a 22/45 MKII 4.5" recently and put on a Burris Fastfire as a training pistol for the kids. It shoots great now but the triggers in these guns suck.....obviously a change from the factory triggers of 8-10 years ago. After a full Volquartsen trigger kit it is now very nice, makes me wonder why they ship with such mushy, hard, over traveled crap today. I removed the mag safety and the loaded round indicator it hampers extraction after a longer session when the chamber gets dirty.