• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .22LR suppressor?? need advice...

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
The only dealings I have had was an AAC Element... And it seemed to be very nice and quiet... Any advice for a different one coming from anyone who has experience with them... most quiet one? I want to get one going here soon... will be used for 22lr, 17 hmr, 22 mag.... mainly a .22lr though...

Since you will use it on a 17 or 22 mag you should get one that is steel or titanium and or also full auto rated - stronger cans. I have a Tactical Innovations Quest that is stainless and full auto rated and is quiet.

As a class 3 dealer, I get to shoot a lot of cans. My personal favorite is the SilencerCo SS Sparrow (also magnum rated for .22WMR and .17HMR)

I have a Gaurdian by Huntertown arms I love it. It is cheap and comes apart easily. Very quiet with subs. Nothing like hearing bullet impact on a squirrel at 150 yds.

My two favorites on the market still are the SWR Spectre II and the SilencerCo Sparrow. Both are very well built cans that will take quite a bit of abuse and still disassemble easily for cleaning.

My vote is for the spectre II or sparrow as well, silencerco has a video on YouTube showing the sound reduction levels compared to other brands. Check it out for yourself.

.22LR suppressor?? need advice...

^^ I have both SpecII and SS Sparrow. SpecII still in jail but I have shot it a few times. Sparrow is shorter than SpecII and I like the looks a little better.

Buy once, cry once with a quality suppressor. It is a lifetime investment that you should be able to pass down one day. Of my two I like the Sparrow better. Both easy to take apart but, the Sparrow simpler to reassemble.

I'm now looking for a dedicated 17hmr suppressor and haven't decided between the TBAC 22L or Liberty Essence . I think I'm kinda steering towards the Lib after having the two other take apart cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Make sure it can be easily taken apart for cleaning as it will get super dirty cause they are so much fun!
I have an AAC Prodigy. Not sure if it will work for 22mag or 17 but AAC is a great company to deal with.
I had a question about mine so I sent them an email and they asked for a picture of my suppressor taken apart. When I sent it to them, they told me to send it back to them. Turns out it had the old core in it and they upgraded it to the new core for free. I didn't even have to pay shipping. Thanks AAC
Oh, and its really quiet, especially on subsequent shots.

I ended up going with a sparrow ss (just sent the form 4 in). In almost every thread I read on the topic here and elsewhere highly recommended it as a first 22 lr can. There are other good choices out there too, but you'll see the same 3-4 recommended in every recent thread on this topic.

Another recommendation for the Sparrow SS.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I have a first gen Element and wish I would have went with the Sparrow first, got 2 Sparrows in the works now. For a take apart, mag rated rimfire can, I don't see how a Sparrow can be beat.

Another option I'd consider is the new Surefire Ryder, I'm not a fan of SF products but that would be one I could plunk down the $$$ for..

My wife owns a class 3 store so I also get to shoot a few cans and as far as I can tell generally speaking the GemTech are the most quiet. Forgive me for sounding closed minded but.... as far as 22s go it's the only one I have shot in that caliber so I have nothing to compare to but I really can't imagine another suppressor being anymore quiet. JMO

I like my Element 2 so much I got a 2nd one. I have experience with the Sparrow and they are excellent and might be the easiest to take down and clean.

My wife owns a class 3 store so I also get to shoot a few cans and as far as I can tell generally speaking the GemTech are the most quiet. Forgive me for sounding closed minded but.... as far as 22s go it's the only one I have shot in that caliber so I have nothing to compare to but I really can't imagine another suppressor being anymore quiet. JMO

awesome...on so many levels

Wells Custom guns.

He makes the quietest suppressors I have heard.

Still waiting on mine

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Get a surefire Ryder, they look pretty awesome and silencershop video shows it as 111 decibels. Thats pretty quiet.
I have ran a Gemtech outback2d and a Silencerco sparrow. The gemtech is light weight but a pain in the arse to clean with the baffle stack, and is not Multi-caliber. The Sparrow is heavier but way way easier to clean. Has a little first round pop but you can run it wet to alleviate that, plus it multi-caliber.

My wife owns a class 3 store so I also get to shoot a few cans and as far as I can tell generally speaking the GemTech are the most quiet.

So your wife is a Class III dealer, stocks a number of suppressors, and you get to sample them. You have a good range of experiences and have shot multiple 22LR suppressors as "the GemTech are the most quiet". Check.

Forgive me for sounding closed minded but.... as far as 22s go it's the only one I have shot in that caliber so I have nothing to compare to but I really can't imagine another suppressor being anymore quiet.

Wait.... You haven't shot any other 22LR suppressors? Say what now?

*OR* did you mean you have only shot the Gemtech 22LR suppressor (none others) and found it to be quite quiet?

Sorry Early Cuyler.... I meant that I have shot the GemTech Out Back ONLY (for 22LR) and have found to be extremely quite.

Shot most all of the 22 cans out there. The ones I recommend are the Spectre II, If you want a take apart can. Thunderbeast 22L-1 if you want a light sealed can. Both are quiet and do not have a first round pop. The sparrow is good also but has first round pop.