• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

22LR Trainer for Son- stock size/LOP?

FromMyColdDeadHand

40X Mafia
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
CO
What is a good length of pull for an average 9 year old? I'm planning on taking my 9 year old shooting this summer and I'm thinking of picking up a tactical-ish 22 for him, (really me). Is there a formula for height/arm length and length of pull. Would a CZ Tacticool or Precision Trainer and maybe a Savage MKII TR. (obviously, I'm interested inteh gun too ;) )Would those be too big for a 9 year old to comfortably/correctly shoot? Could those stocks be cut down? I looked on the Manner site for the trainer T4 stocks and I see there is an option for a 1 inch adjustable but pad. Is that just a removable one. Is that long enough to make it short enough? I'd kind of like to surprise him and actually wait for the summer so that he isn't blabbing to the whole 3rd grade about his 'sniper rifle'. That gives me a little time to work stuff out. What 22s besides a Cricket come with youth stocks. I'm not really finding anything, which surprises me.

And I was thinking about a fixed power scope to keep him from fiddling around with the variable power. I'm thinking about SS 10x. Enough pop, but not so long that he'll get lost. The longest I see the rifle being used is 200 yards at the CRC 22 match.

Youth guns are around. The Cricket is fun for about a minute, but he'll outgrow it quick, and the pull cocker is a hassle for little fingers. The CZ Scout comes with a single shot adapter, and you can use 5 and 10-shot mags when he's ready. Savage has the Rascal, but it is only a single shot.

I picked up a decent used Win.69A. for my 7 year old. The rifle was a little to long/heavy for him. I cut the barrel down to 20" and recrowned it and cut like 2.25" off the stock real nicely. It was night and day different for him handling it. I cut the stock real nice and kept the cut off piece but before I cut it off I drilled two dowl pin holes in it long enough so as he grows I can put the cut off piece back on the stock to make it longer again. I picked up a repro butt plate and sanded it to fit the shorter stocks shape correctly.

It wasn't a collectors grade rifle so don't freak out about modifying the gun. The bore had some pitting but not horrible. I finish lapped the barrel to smooth the bore out some and cutting it to a 20" finish length vs. the original 24" isn't going to hurt anything velocity wise or accuracy wise.

later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

The formula is the same as it is for shotguns. Put the arm at 90 degrees. With the finger in the trigger guard, the butt should meet the upper arm at the elbow. Trouble with this is kids can grow fast. You might look into an adjustable butt plate so the rifle will fit him as he grows.

Make his and your life easy. Just get him a 10/22. It will shoot well, be light and he can changed it as he goes.

Youth guns are around. The Cricket is fun for about a minute, but he'll outgrow it quick, and the pull cocker is a hassle for little fingers. The CZ Scout comes with a single shot adapter, and you can use 5 and 10-shot mags when he's ready. Savage has the Rascal, but it is only a single shot.

Excellent point!

Got my niece a Cricket before her 10th birthday. Grew out of it, inside of two years.
No regrets, it was cheap enough, and special for her to have a 1st rimfire to call her own. After that youth growth spurt, she's now shooting my tacticool stocked rimfires with no problem. And she said I could borrow her Cricket to shoot coons out for my dog, that tiny sucker makes for a nice little carryalong gun when handling coon dogs in the dark...

10/22 is a great idea! Can find a 2nd stock, cheap, and cut it to size for now...

I have used 10/22's to teach lots of Boy Scouts to shoot. I just bought original stocks off ebay ($25). Then cut them to any size you like. I tape a piece of pipe insulation to the comb so they can get a cheek weld ( trick learned from Appleseed). Once he's bigger he still has his first rifle.