• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22lr training distance?

BoulderE89

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
St. George, UT
I’m new to the concept of 22lr as a training tool for competitions. I have some target challenges that are designed for center fire competition training at 100 yards. What distance would you recommend using these to train with for 22lr? Could I still do 100 or is than unreasonable? The targets are the training ones max ordinance offers on their website.

What distances are you shooting your CF rifle? It makes a difference when using a RF to train for CF competition.

I have heard that wind drift for a 22LR is similar to CF at 500 yards.

Well 300 yards in a light wind I have to hold like 2.5 mills to hit a 10” plate.

I would say just practice at 50-100 yards but do positional stages and you will get more benefit then just trying to shoot the .22 far.

I usually train between 25 and 100 yards. The reason for this is I can use a cheaper practice ammo. I do practice longer range shooting with my rimfire but I use my good ammo for that and it is more about wind holds and dope. It isn't a huge savings since my match ammo is only around $6 a box V/S $2.50 for practice ammo. For guys using center x or Midas + it could be a huge savings though. I can get plenty of practice on transitions and building a stable position between 25 and 100 yards just using smaller targets.

Reactions: Kadams1563
I’m new to the concept of 22lr as a training tool for competitions. I have some target challenges that are designed for center fire competition training at 100 yards. What distance would you recommend using these to train with for 22lr? Could I still do 100 or is than unreasonable? The targets are the training ones max ordinance offers on their website.

No 100yds would be great. You could use your same set up. I have a place with a bench for 25, 50 and 150yds. I am losing the 150yds due to crops getting too high. I will get it back this fall. I have 100yds in a different direction. I moving the 150 stuff to 80 to 100yds.
Mark

300yds with a subsonic .22LR is similar to shooting 3x that far with a standard cf rifle. I’ve got a CZ455 that is a ton of fun to shoot. Breaking stationary clay targets at 300yds is a blast. Definitely have to watch wind drift with a 40gr bullet. I probably enjoy shooting the .22 as much as anything else I have. A lot cheaper to shoot also!

Here are some guidelines that apply to using a 22 to train for F-TR (308 Winchester loads) midrange (e.g. 600 yards) and long range (e.g. 1000 yards) competitions. Of course they may apply in other situations but since I shoot F-TR and do use the 22 for training, I will cover the types of beliefs that come from conversations during matches (and from competitors far better than I). Few shooters have the luxury of closely matching trainer and competition firearms and do not need to do so to improve skills. Most of the rest of what is said here is necessary thought.

Shoot the same position with 22 as you do at longer ranges with center fire ammunition. For F-TR this means prone with front bipod and rear bag with ears. Put together and use a 22 that has the same stock and brand of trigger with the same ounce or pound pull as the longer range rifle. Practicing bench rest at 100 yards is not the most efficient way to prepare to shoot 600 yard F-Class in competitions.

The point of impact of each round must be visible prior to making a decision about the next shot for the training with a 22 to be useful. This is a limitation for which there is no workaround. This is a absolute necessity.

At 100 yards, the primary purpose of training is called “putting in trigger time”. It is used to develop core skills of breath control, sight picture and trigger pull (squeeze). It doesn’t particularly help with either wind or mirage skills (unless you are already a X or 10 ring only shooter!). There should be no problem seeing the impact location of each round fired at this distance.

At 200 yards the impact hole should be visible with the scope on the rifle or by using a spotting scope. Because rounds in the black may not be visible, I use targets that have only the scoring rings indicated by a black line so I can see the impact locations in white areas of the target. The following picture (shot for group under no wind early morning sight in conditions) shows this modification:
420B3CA5-0574-407D-AF62-1587E35A7B25.jpeg

Two hundred yards is a excellent distance for learning to read wind and mirage. Most shooters opine that for training it is analogous to 800 to 1000 yard high power shooting. If trigger skills are already there, give priority to training at this distance and learning to read wind and mirage and to get that immediate feedback on each shot so you can see how you did with reading conditions and making a decision about where to hold.

At 300 yards the primary problem is seeing the point of impact of the 22. A little mirage can hide the hole. Increasing the power of even high quality spotting scopes can degrade the image to the point the hole can’t be seen. It’s fun to shoot at 300 yards but as a training distance for 1000 yard competitions it has these serious limitations and is not as useful as 200 yards. Since a match has 20 rounds for score with 20 minutes for completion, training should be then with 20 round segments over 20 minutes. It would be rare for perfect visual conditions to last long enough to fire 20 rounds!

I spend approximately equal time at 100 and 200 yard distances.

Hope these guidelines help.

Last edited:
I used to wait for the windiest days to shoot .22 at 100yd. Spend the whole day doping the wind, go through a case of cci sv. Good practice in itself. Bulk packs of 3” shoot n c’s can be had at reasonable prices if you search for them. Paper plates and a stapler are a cost effective alternative as well.

I used to wait for the windiest days to shoot .22 at 100yd. Spend the whole day doping the wind, go through a case of cci sv. Good practice in itself. Bulk packs of 3” shoot n c’s can be had at reasonable prices if you search for them. Paper plates and a stapler are a cost effective alternative as well.
I think I would be more frustrated on those 40mph+ wind days - talk about a challenge! Maybe I will have to try it out.

I shot a match earlier this year in 30-40mph winds gusts. The thing was the winds were swirling and over half of the match was shot between 100 and 300 yards with pretty 1-2 MOA targets. It was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I would shoot holding 3 mils to the left and hit the target then take another shot with the same wind hold and hit 6 mils to the right of the target because the wind changed as soon as I pulled the trigger. Then you would get a wind at 9 o’clock which would push your bullet way low and right. It was alternating so fast even the best shooters couldn’t keep up. We would have 12 shot strings and the stage winners were guys hitting 2-3 targets. It was very frustrating. It wasn’t uncommon for guys to come out of stages with a 0 for a stage that should have been fairly easy to clean.

I will add that I always make a point to try to shoot in the wind as much as I can in the spring. I try to shoot in the 5-10 mph with 15 mph gusts. Anything beyond that is just frustration because it is usually changing so fast with gusts. My boys and I shoot at three different ranges With different wind patterns. The hardest thing to teach them has been how much a head wind or tail wind can change your dope. This is something I have noticed a lot of rimfire shooters don‘t account for. A 5-10 mph head wind or tail wind can have a huge effect on your dope and you need to teach yourself to pay close attention to it while shooting at distance. In most cases I have found I can account for it by simply holding at the top or bottom of the plate. If you hold center for elevation with a 10 mph head or tail wind chances are unless it’s a really big target it will be enough to cause a miss.

I think I would be more frustrated on those 40mph+ wind days - talk about a challenge! Maybe I will have to try it out.
When I first started out training with .22’s I would look out the window and if the trees were moving at all I wouldn’t go to the range, only cared about sub 10-ring groups. Eventually I came to realize that chasing small groups wasn’t helping me get better. Switched to shooting on the crappiest days, having shots blown over up to 6” off POA learns you real fast. Headwinds, crosswinds, tailwinds, breaking shots on full value gusts, you start to get an intuitive feel for how much holdover you need based on what you are feeling at the rifle. At the prices a brick of .22lr costs, the benefit is invaluable.

When I first started out training with .22’s I would look out the window and if the trees were moving at all I wouldn’t go to the range, only cared about sub 10-ring groups. Eventually I came to realize that chasing small groups wasn’t helping me get better. Switched to shooting on the crappiest days, having shots blown over up to 6” off POA learns you real fast. Headwinds, crosswinds, tailwinds, breaking shots on full value gusts, you start to get an intuitive feel for how much holdover you need based on what you are feeling at the rifle. At the prices a brick of .22lr costs, the benefit is invaluable.
Been raining here in Ohio for 3 days straight. Maybe I'll get out this weekend - supposed to be in the 80's finally!!

What distances are you shooting your CF rifle? It makes a difference when using a RF to train for CF competition.

I have heard that wind drift for a 22LR is similar to CF at 500 yards.
Travel or, it’s hard to come up with a direct comparison. You can match the wind drift of your CF load to the drift of your best rimfire set up, in MOA or Mils, but this fails to account for the change in vertical of rimfire with change in wind angle being vastly larger than the center fire aerodynamic jump, which damps out at long range. Centerfire is 2-d, whereas rimfire is a 3-D game. Seymour

Kinda rule of thumb for .308 is 4:1. .22 at 100 is equivalent to .308 at 400 and so on.

6.5CM is 5:1.

You can pull them up in your ballistics app and compare.

For me its 50-100 or so for positional, prone I like to shoot the steel chickens in the head and tail on the steel range at 200 meters to rock them off the rail. Not too difficult if it isn't windy.