• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22lr with heavy barrel

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I am looking for a 22lr bolt action rifle with a heavy barrel. I would like to keep the price under 400 dollars. What are my options?

Re: 22lr with heavy barrel

For the price point I would say CZ. Or if you do some searching you might be able to snag a Sako Quad but you will have to be fast on the trigger as they dont last long with that kind of price.

CZ (if you can find one under $400.00), followed by Savage MKII, then probably a Marlin.

i think they are about the only bolts available under $400.00 with a heavy barrel option and with the availability of aftermarket trinkets.

I priced a CZ 452 Varmint last spring, and $375 plus tax was the cheapest I found here locally. I don't know how much the 453 or the new 455 are, they might be above the $400 mark.

Mossberg 144 LSB.....i just sold for $350, great gun, but i was replace for a Kimber 82G....
[
DSC08446.jpg
]

I recently bought a CZ 452 varmint. It is the most accurate 22 that I have ever shot. I was thinking that I might buy my dad a bolt action 22 for Christmas but I didn't really want to pay as much money as I did for the CZ. How much better is the CZ than the Savage Mark II?

My Vote Is For The Kimber Model #82G "Rusty Edition" From The CMP! Great Rifle For The $! If You Meet Their Qualifications,
The Total For The Gun Is About $425.00 TO YOUR DOOR!! NO FFL
NEEDED!!! BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK OUT THERE RIGHT NOW - BAR NONE

The Kimber comes with good sights...don't want them??? post them on Rimfirecentral.com to get some of your money back

I have two mkii and both of them are pretty gosh darn accurate. One is a heavy barrel one is a sporter.

My vote goes for the CZ452 varmit. Its a blast to shoot. But if you want a reeeeely heavy barrel find ya a 40XHB with the 28" barrel. Mine weighs as much as my damn .308. But man is it a blast to shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if you want a reeeeely heavy barrel find ya a 40XHB with the 28" barrel. Mine weighs as much as my damn .308. But man is it a blast to shoot</div></div>

+1, but the OP had a budget of $400...

CZ 453 Varmit w/set trigger American Eagle / Fedral (about a month apart)
first one is 5 rds / 2nd one is 3rds - both are 100yds

PICT0178-1.jpg

3rds22target.jpg

I may just have to buy another CZ. I am really liking mine right now. It is shooting one ragged hole at 50 yards and just over an inch at 100. I really didn't want to pay that much again but clearly it is the best rifle anywhere near my price range.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest the Quad as well. I'm not sure what they retail for in the US, but the build quality is far better than that on either the CZ or the Savages mentioned above. If it's a long way north of your budget, feel free to ignore me. If its just outside, I can't recomment the synthetic heavy barrel highly enough.

GDSO what are they going for in england , im thinking of replacing my semi auto for a bolt and i like the sound of 1 of these

Big bucks, big barrels, OK. They can make sense, but if all you're doing is training, it's kinda excessive, I think...

Competition demands perfection. Training demands relentless consistency. The two are not the same.

Greg

as ever greg you make great sense.but is it not worth buying quality and splashing out the extra bucks on the trainer too or do you reckon a cheapy will do and the money is better spent on rounds and trigger time ?

I can see where Greg is coming from - if the rifle is a true trainer for something else (tacical / large game etc), then it should really be a cost effective way of spending some time shooting, as opposed to a nice tool. In the Show your trainers topic I said that I wasn't sure mine counts as a trainer, because it's the only rifle I have and not used for training. That said, there are a lot of people on here who use something similar as a true trainer, so I thought I'd add it into the mix in case it was an option for others.

I think the rifle you buy is a very personal thing - you could look at it from a purely monetary point of view, and buy what makes the most sense (probably a CZ or a Savage, as many people have suggested) but if you're going to use it a lot for something else (pest control in my case) and you're mechanically minded it's hard to put a value on the feel of something which is well made. For me it was well worth the upgrade price to the Sako, but might not be for everyone.

I think the .22 is a special case. For a large part, I believe the accuracy is inherent in the chambering, and less so in the gun than might be the case with centerfires.

Less expensive and more basic exacts less of a toll on the .22's accuracy than with the bigger guns. So, as long as the firearm is functioning properly, it's got the accuracy the training task needs. More accuracy would be more appropriate to competition, but the basic accuracy is fine as long as it's consistent. We are looking for 'better' or 'worse', not 'excellent' or 'otherwise'. For 'excellent', that's where the premium firearm has a real place.

Training is about repetition, assessment, and improvement; and the round count is significant to the goal. So yes, the big slice of the pie should be getting spent on ammo. Again, find something the rifle likes, good, but not exorbitant.

When you begin your ammo testing, start at the cheap end of the selections. The rifle makes the choice, not the cash register. When you find something that produces significantly less ammo-related flyers, you've met your goal. FGMM is for comp. the CCI blue box is for training, where my rifles are concerned.

Hopefully, you will find something both inexpensive and reliably above average too.

Greg