• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

230gn Sierra Matchking & 300 win mag

Rebelirons

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
North Bay Area
Anyone out use these bullets in their 300 mag yet? I bought 100 to try out but haven't gotten around to loading any yet. I did notice they're long as hell, about 10 thou. longer than the 230 Hybrids. I also noticed they look like they've been tipped at the factory. They recommend 1:8-9 twist but I'm gonna give em a shot in my 1:10. 230 Hybrids are $ in my mag so we'll see. If anyone has tried these please let me know what you thought. Thanks

Reactions: Saracen
Definitely keep us in the loop... I have been running the 230 gr Bergers and been really impressed, but like you, I have a 10-twist barrel, so I'm curious to see how the Sierras perform.

Ditto. I just rebarreled to a 1:9.5" tw for the 230gr Berger & now trying out the 225 Hornady. Will be interested in this bullet as well.

Anybody have any reports on these in a 300 WM yet? Especially compared to 230 Hybrids...

I did try them in my 28" 1:10 twist .300 wm. My rifle will shoot the 230 Hybrids just fine. Accuracy and speed is really good. I was worried at first about that bullet and the twist rate but I've had no issues. However when I tried the 230 SMK, they were all over the place. Accuracy was shit! Like 4" at 100 and worse at 300. I tried a bunch of different loads and seating depths but I just couldn't get them to shoot. The twist has to equate to the problem. That's all I could come up with. I'm have a 1:9" twist barrel spun up for my mag and when that's done I might try em again. I'm sure someone could get em to work, it just wasn't me. They are long, about .210" longer than the 230 Hybrid. I can get numbers later today, cause I'm at work now, and try to post them up

Reactions: Saracen
Anyone out use these bullets in their 300 mag yet? I bought 100 to try out but haven't gotten around to loading any yet. I did notice they're long as hell, about 10 thou. longer than the 230 Hybrids. I also noticed they look like they've been tipped at the factory. They recommend 1:8-9 twist but I'm gonna give em a shot in my 1:10. 230 Hybrids are $ in my mag so we'll see. If anyone has tried these please let me know what you thought. Thanks
I have. Early days yet, as I'm working up a load, but they seem pretty much a one hole job ?.
That's through my Remington Sendero with a Lothar Walther 1 in 8 twist and RWS brass.

I ended up trying these out of my 1:10 300wm. No matter what powder, seating depth or brass I used they didn’t do well at all. The smallest group I got was about 1 and a half inch at 100 yards. They got worse at 200 and 300 yards. I just got a new 1:9 barrel put on my 300 so I might try em again later on or I’ll try em in my 300 Norma, when it’s done

My 28” rock creek 1 in 10t will not group them for piss. I just had a Krieger 30” 1 in 9t” 4 Groove spun up and will order 50 more 230s and test them in the 9t. I think a 9t is going to be the minimum for the sierra 230s. I haven’t read anywhere where a 10t was working.

My 28” rock creek 1 in 10t will not group them for piss. I just had a Krieger 30” 1 in 9t” 4 Groove spun up and will order 50 more 230s and test them in the 9t. I think a 9t is going to be the minimum for the sierra 230s. I haven’t read anywhere where a 10t was working.
My 1 in 8 barreled Sendero in 300 Win Mag doesn't like 230 SMK's either. I couldn't be bothered to piss about with another box of 50, so went with Berger 230 OTM's, that easily grouped 10 rounds in under 7 inches at 900 yards, with no real load development. Obviously I'll work on improving it now I know there's potential, unlike the crappy SMK bullets.
If anyone is interested, the I loaded the OTM bullets using 67.5 grains of RL26, over a Federal 215 primer, in RWS brass ( most brass you'd use about 4 or 5 grains more, but RWS is very thick brass, so watch your pressures).
I don't neck turn my brass BTW.
I'll probably up the charge 0.5 of a grain.
Being an OTM Hybrid bullet, overall bullet length is not anywhere near as importantvas most.
For the record, both the SMK and OTM bullets were about 15 thousands off of touching the rifling.

There’s your mistake, thinking that the same amount of jump produces similar results when one bullet is longer than the other.