• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

24” 5.56 upper & +2” gas system question

Ruining your democracy
Minuteman
May 25, 2022
Shithole
I have two 5.56 rifles with 24” barrels. They have rifle length gas systems and have functioned just fine and don’t damage brass, at least as far as I can tell.

I want to order 2 more complete uppers in 5.56 with 400 MODBB and I noticed that there is an option to have a +2” gas system with the 24” barrel. Will adding that extra two inches of gas port distance change anything WRT reliability or expected velocity?

I’m tracking the reason AR10’s in 6.5&22 CM have the + gas system. But I’ve never seen it on a 5.56.

Not planning on suppressing the uppers when I get them.

Thank you for your time.

Will adding that extra two inches of gas port distance change anything WRT reliability or expected velocity?
Almost certainly not. If anything it might take a little more tuning to get it running. What it will get you is a very slightly softer shooting gun, but most people consider 5.56 to be soft enough that they won't really notice the difference.
It may be a bit more noticeable if you suppressed it.

Reactions: 232593