• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 24" or 26" 300wm barrel for elk hunting

Tiger83

Proud Father
Minuteman
May 25, 2017
South Alabama
I am new to the sport of hunting elk, but I understand that alot of hiking will be involved. I am not sure of the areas or terrain that I will one day be hunting. I would like to know the length of barrel that would be best for most elk terrains. Keep in mind that weight difference would be minor because I will be purchasing a proof carbon fiber barrel. However, I would be adding a brake, which would add about 2" to the barrel length. Would the 26" + brake be too long for the rougher terrains or should I go 24"+brake?

Short as you dare. with a 300wm, you will have more than enough energy. If it was me, Id go 24 max. I have an 18" 300wm that shoots 1200yds quite well, and makes a heck of a ding when it gets there.

I thank all of you for your input and help. I just purchased a 26" Proof carbon fiber savage prefit, threaded for a brake w/ thread cap. (Prefit because it will eventually be a switch barrel for my young son.) It's going on a bighorn tl3 and this is what the proof savage prefits were tested on with excellent results. From listening to the members here, I got the impression that you really won't go wrong either way. I want to use the brake for target shooting and learning my rifle. When it comes time for the hunt, I will just put the thread protector back on and maybe do a little fine tuning before the trip. And once again, I really do appreciate all of the input and shared experience.

I've had 26" barreled rifles and found them a little 2 unwieldy even in open country. I went with a 24" and it was the sweet spot for me.

Not a 300wm, but I had a custom 7mag with a 26" brl + a 2" long brake and that sucker was just too damn big for the hunting I do. Yes, the velocity was nice, but just too unwieldy. If I were to do a 300wm, I'd go 24" max and probably 22"....just my opinion though.

I run a 21" for my light rifle with a 7" ultra can in my 300WM and it knocks the daylights out of everything...shot placement over velocity numbers for me for my high country packing rifle. Very handy rifle.

26" on my AXMC for my ambush hunts.

My last 300wm was 22" and my hunting buddy had a 26", I loaded the same load for both rifles(both chambered by LRI with same reamer). My 22" barrel was 75 fps slower then his 26". So it was well worth having a more compact rifle at the loss of 75 fps. If his wasn't a fluted barrel he would've already had it cut down to 22"... lol

1n10" for 150 grain & up to 200 grain, 1n9" for 210 grain & up as heavy as you can go . I started with a 1n10 and it stabilized 210 VLD s just fine , once it was shot out I went to a 1n9 twist and shoot 210 VLD s and everything between up to the 230 OTM s so far .

1n10" for 150 grain & up to 200 grain, 1n9" for 210 grain & up as heavy as you can go . I started with a 1n10 and it stabilized 210 VLD s just fine , once it was shot out I went to a 1n9 twist and shoot 210 VLD s and everything between up to the 230 OTM s so far .

Thanks for the reply, I will go with the 1:9. What are the current best choices in a long range hunting bullet? Bergers, ELD x, ELD M, SMK, etc?

Last edited:
In no order , BERGER 210 VLD , 212 ELDX and on good advice BERGER 230 OTM 's of which I've only shot on steel so far but hear they devastate Deer & Elk at practical long ranges .
Go to BERGERS web-site and use their ballistics calculator when you find a load that works for you and figure kinetic energy for that round , that will dictate how long range the round actually is along with your skills . Hope this helps !

Very Much thanks. I am going to send you a PM with a follow up question to not clog the OP's thread.

Thanks

I worried about all this stuff now that i have been elk hunting for 2 years...... finding them big sneaky fuckers matters more than every thing else.