• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 Ackley

garsticker

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
I am very interested in the performance of this caliber on deer or similar game out to 300 yards...I shot one with a hart 1-12 twist barrel shooting 90 gr. ballistic tips and was impressed at the jugs of water but I'd like to hear from someone with practical experience with one.
Thanks
Barry

I've got a 243ai that is one of the most accurate rifles I own. But there is nothing magic about the cartridge. That said, I'm a big fan of 6mm pills on game. 105 amax through the chest and he's dead, but a 12 twist won't spin it, I don't think. With a 12 twist, I'd think a 80ttsx would treat deer to a fast demise. I had a 6-284 that loved 90 e-tips and killed like magic.

Unless you already have the barrel, I would go with an 8 twist and then you can shoot most anything short of the 115 bullets. IMHO.

Regards,
Paul

Excellent cartridge for deer sized game. Loaded for several and had good luck with the old 87gr Hornady SP and Viht N160. If you want to choose your twist checkout ershawbarrels.com , you can pick and choose a little bit.

From Kenny Jarrett...
.243 Improved
70 gr. Nosler bullet...3650 f.p.s. | 85 gr. Sierra Spitzer...3450 f.p.s. |
I believe the second reamer that I ever bought was a .243 Improved. I’ve had over 30 years experience with this dual-purpose varmint and deer cartridge, and it’s one of my top 5 favorites. The trick is to chamber it in a one twelve twist barrel. You can have a super varmint bullet in 65-70 gr. and shoot 85 gr. bullets for deer. I’ve killed more than 250 hogs and deer with this one cartridge. I shot the old screw machine Nosler Partitions at 3440 f.p.s. out of a 20” barrel. Recoil is mild, but believe me when I tell you velocity kills! The cases are easily fire formed and loaded and normally last 30% longer than standard brass. This cartridge, in a heavy barrel varmint rig with a 26” barrel, is a real performer if you are a 6mm fan. In thinking about it, I have never culled a .243 Improved in the tuning room. The .243 Improved is not finicky in any way, so I highly recommend it. This cartridge does best with a 20” barrel.

what has been you best type powder...Mine is a 1-12 hart barrel ..i got a real good deal on it and am looking forward to deer hunting with it as well....will the 1-12 twist stabilize a 90gr. you suppose?

1-12 may be to slow a twist for that heavy bullet.
243 ai will be my next hunting rifle some day!

A factory 700 barrel twisted 1-9.125" will twist the 105 A-Max at most elevations. I use 7828ssc in my AI and push 'em to 3170 in a 24" tube.

This was at 500 yards.... the rifle weighs 7.5lbs all up. Just HAD to shoot that one damn flyer out of the group... grin!

IMG_0248_zpsc4f04cfd.jpg

Outstanding Niles!! Some great shooting there...

Factory 700 barrels are a great way to get into shooting high BC 6mm stuff... And this stuff is fun.