• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 243 ai action size

LWILLIAMS

Nobody
Minuteman
May 30, 2006
Gillette, Wyoming
I am building a 243 ai on a remington action and a mike rock barrel. In order to shoot up to the 115gr bullets do I need a long action in order to seat the bullets out far enough?

Re: 243 ai action size

So the .04 is probably going to be to much jump then for the 115 class bullets. I hate to go long action but it looks like I might have to then.

I run HS DBM in my 243AI and it allows 2.870", why wouldn't you just have the rifle throated for a 115DTAC TTL at 2.860"? Or am I missing something here with the DTAC?

Unless you think it eats up too much case capacity? Shitty picture, but here's a 115DTAC at 2.860".

DSC_3395.jpg

If you're going to the trouble of using a long action for better cc then you ought to consider a 6mm rem AI. You'll be able to drive those bigger bullets faster than the .243ai.
Look on the angelfire 6mm Ackley site for lots of data plus a coupke of rifles on 6mmbr. One of which by Richard Franklin (although he drives the 87v at extremely high velocities)

Regards

G

I am pretty set on using the 243ai as the case. I am hoping the Rock 5R barrel in 1:8 twist will stabilize them. Has anyone ran the 1:8 twist in the ackley and if so how is the stability.

Sendaroman was running them in his 1-8" 243AI, he had issues in the cold temps with them stabilizing.

I run the 105 class of bullets in my 243AI, but it's a 1-9"twist and that's what I built it for. I only tried the 115's just to see if they would stabilize in a 1-9", they didn't. A 105Amax at 3250fps surely doesn't suck though.

I guess I need to talk to Sendaroman then. I will be running the same conditions considering he only lives about 70 miles from here.

Load a dummy case to the length that fits in your gun and send it to the smith. There is no reason you can't fit the 115DTAC into a short action repeater.

I didn't know you lived that close to him, I'd get ahold of him. Matter of fact he's the one who sent me the DTAC's to try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am pretty set on using the 243ai as the case. I am hoping the Rock 5R barrel in 1:8 twist will stabilize them. Has anyone ran the 1:8 twist in the ackley and if so how is the stability. </div></div>

Run a 1-7 or 7.5, the 1-8 is too slow in colder temps.