• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 AI Build Need info

308club

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
South Carolina
I've got a HS precision stock and Williams Bottom metal laying around and thinkin about building my first rifle, a 243ai. Mainly hunting deer and a predator once in a while shooting from 50 to 500 yards. Never have had a rifle built but been doing alot of research. Thinking about a Stiller Predator action, krieger varmint barrel, and a jewell trigger. I'm like the new guy on the video on here school me now school me right now lmao.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Re: 243 AI Build Need info

Well what would you like to know? We've built a number of 243 Ackley's. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea going with the parts you have listed.

I guess I want to know if the people that have 243 AI's really like them better than a plain ol 243. Also wanting to know some advantages and disadvantages of the AI part. I already reload for myself so as far as ammo goes I should have that part covered. I'm also figuring on it being a barrel burner so I would kinda like to know how many rounds can go down the tube with out affecting acc. As far as parts go I dont know a whole lot but I kinda want to stay in the middle of the road or above on building this thing and from what Ive read and seem t11hats what I come up with so far and got my heart set on. My buddy has a rifle build about like this in 308 and I like the way it handles, but if there is anything better that i could buy with more bang for the buck I wouldnt mind spending a little extra.

Well I think you've got a pretty good plan going with the parts you have spec'd out although I'm not the biggest fan of the Stiller actions. We've had really good luck with our 243AI's and have gotten at least 1k-1500 rounds out of them even using them in competition. Advantages of the AI would be an increase in speed and no brass stretching. Disadvantages would be just the fact that you have to fireform although the fireform ammo is generally just as accurate and we usually use it for practice and varmints.

Feel free to PM me or email if you have any other questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd put a 7.5 twist on it for the heavies....</div></div>

That's probably not a bad idea if you're wanting to shoot the DTACs

the 243AI is a great caliber!

I have a straight 243 as well as an Ackleyized version both built on trued Rem 700SA with Rock Creek 7.75 twist bbls. They are both insanely accurate & digest the 105 Berger VLDs/ 105 Scenars & 107 SMKs very well. I can't say which I would pick over the other to be truthful!

You mention this would be your 1st rifle build... Well, you have some great components listed for starters. The Stiller is a great foundation to build on. Kreiger makes a damn good pipe too!

Thanks guys that pretty much makes my choice alot easier and the slower twist is a must for shure...Im gonna start gettin the rest of my parts ordered next week. Once again thanks again for helping a newbie to the hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cadillac Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys that pretty much makes my choice alot easier and the slower twist is a must for shure...Im gonna start gettin the rest of my parts ordered next week. Once again thanks again for helping a newbie to the hide </div></div>

I hope you meant faster twist if you want to shoot the heavies.
smile.gif

JH

If your going to go with a .243 Win size case, When it comes to accuracy and bullets selection. I wouldn't get jammed up with a .243AI and a DTAC. It may be a good idea to consider several superb cartridges in 6.5., 6.5x47, 260, 260AI. Great cartridges at distance and a much larger bullet selection. A quality 8 twist barrel in a 6.5 can't do you wrong.

LOL no doubt! The thing is I read my post like 2 or 3 times for typos and to make shure there isnt any serious mistakes like that and it snuck by somehow lol, reckon Im just gettin old
crazy.gif

Ive got a .243Ai and a 6.5x47. I like them both the 47 is alittle more accurate, but its a better rifle. I have a 7.5 twist Broughton 5c barrel on the .243AI and I have a little over 1000 rounds through it with RE-22 and the 115 DTAC at 3120fps. So far I have lost any accuracy yet.

If you do go ahead with the AI or any other round I think its a good idea to get your own reamer setup exactly to the bullet you want to shoot. I learned that lesson the hard way..

sounds like you have a good combo together there.