• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 ai realistic velocities

Jkelleghan

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2020
Trying to see if anyone here has any insight on realistic performance of .243 ai running heavier bullets, 105-115. I have a .243ai that is going to need a new barrel soon and have been flirting with some other 6mm's, but it doesn't seem like most of them will really outperform the ackley. I've only ever run lighter bullets as mine is 1 in 12 twist, but would like to move up to heavier bullets to play at longer ranges while still performing on deer and coyotes. Current rifle is a interarms mark x mauser so long action, wondering if there's another 6mm to look at or what kind of real world velocities I could achieve in .243ai with say a 109 berger. Any help would be appreciated.

Trying to see if anyone here has any insight on realistic performance of .243 ai running heavier bullets, 105-115. I have a .243ai that is going to need a new barrel soon and have been flirting with some other 6mm's, but it doesn't seem like most of them will really outperform the ackley. I've only ever run lighter bullets as mine is 1 in 12 twist, but would like to move up to heavier bullets to play at longer ranges while still performing on deer and coyotes. Current rifle is a interarms mark x mauser so long action, wondering if there's another 6mm to look at or what kind of real world velocities I could achieve in .243ai with say a 109 berger. Any help would be appreciated.
Maybe this could be of help

Reactions: Jkelleghan
I appreciate the link, I've been trying to find some decent velocity infowith the heavies, but was finding wildly conflicting numbers.

I appreciate the link, I've been trying to find some decent velocity infowith the heavies, but was finding wildly conflicting numbers.
Your very welcome , there is also a sticky at the top of this page where members of the Hide has posted data for the 243AI . Good luck

I have been through several 243 AI barrels. I have run 105 AMAX, 105 Hornady BTHP, and 115 DTACs. I have run H1000 in all of them and typically get around 2500 rounds of barrel life before going over 1 moa at 100 yards. Sometimes the barrel will last 2500 and still be around .6-.8 moa at distance, but they always give up shortly after 2500 rds.

There is a node with the 105s at 3150-3200 fps. The node for the 115s is around 3000-3050. Those are in 26" barrels. It can be run faster, especially with faster powders, but barrel life and brass life will suffer severely. I have some Winchester brass that has 17 firings on it. It is on its last leg, but has lasted a long time. I just bought 500 pcs of Peterson brass and hope it will last many barrels.

It is a pretty good coyote and deer round. I will likely always have one for hunting. I have moved on to the 6 Dasher for most of my match shooting.

If you want to shoot the 115s or the Berger 105s in extreme cold get a 7.5 twist. An 8 twist doesn't stabilize 115 DTACs well at negative DAs. A 7 twist is quite a bit over 300k rpms with the 105s going 3200 fps. The potential for bullet failures are there. It is a fine line.

I was running 3280 with 105hybrids and h4831sc in a 26" 243ai. I sold it at 1500rds, to a buddy, it still hammers at 2000rds. It has slowed to 3175 or 3200, same load, but it is sub .5"