• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing .243 barrel length

MJR

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2011
What barrel length would you recommend for a 243 shooting the heavier bullets from a 1 in 8 twist barrel? Intended use is long range target,steel and varmints. I'm thinking 24 to 25" is a good compromise between losing velocity and too long a barrel. Am I right? Thanks.

Re: .243 barrel length

I have a couple 22" barrels on standard .243 Winchesters. Running the 105 VLD's at 3030 fps and just barely getting pressure signs at high ambient air temps with suppressor attached. I think you'd be fine with anything 22" and over. I'm actually having another .243 built soon that'll also be 22" so I'm comfortable with that barrel length getting me the velocity I need. Barrels are all Bartlein 1:8 twist. HTH.

Geb

I think it "too long" of a barrel is dependent on what you want to do with the rifle.
Target/Steel/Varmint doesn't sound like it's going to be slung, shot off hand or even carried far...so if it were me, I'd go for as long and heavy as you can. Stiff, heavy and long doesn't sound like it's a bad thing for your intended use.

If you were going to big game or predator hunt, I'd stick with the 22-24" and maybe a little bit lighter profile.

I'm rebuilding my 243WSSM AR with a 1:8 24" but I'm building a 6-06 on an M70 with a 27" and both of them will be carrying a 9" suppressor. (i know they aren't a strait .243 but it's the same principle)

Cheers thanks. I will be carrying the gun so I don't want to go too heavy on the profile. Good to hear the velocity you are getting from a 22" barrel. Thanks.