• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .243 for coyotes

Frog05

Sure Shot Night Vision
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Southern Illinois
I'm making the switch to .243 this year for coyote season, picked up some Hornady 58gr vmax superformance to try out first. Anyone have any other recommendations for factory loads? Night hunting mainly so in trying to stay light, fast and flat.

i hunt at night 3-5 days a week for yotes. the 243 can not be beat for yotes. and i understand that you are wanting as flat as possible but i would look at the 65-80 gr bullets for a little better performance. They seem to carry the energy better and end up with less runners at the end of the night. We are currently running 65vmax and 70 blitzing. with my favorite being the blitz. but there not available in loaded ammo as far as i know.

There are a few options in the 75-90gr range that I will take a look at. I couldn't find any factory loads in the 65-70 range, but I am a little slow this morning due to midnight shift! Thanks Slim

Anything 75gr and under should be magic. If you’re looking to see the options I’d look at midway for reference.

I am sure there are more options out there.

ive ran .243 in many flavors for night hunting coyotes. I currently have a 22" carbon wrapped 10tw I run 75gr vmax at 3400 or I run 75gr superformance and 3600. it works what I would call acceptably well but in reality nothing has deep sixed coyotes at night like a 105 berger has. we are somewhere over the 100 mark for the season so I have a few under my belt to decide what worked best.

Reactions: Frog05
For volume shooting, keep an eye on Midway for sales on the 243 Dogtown Ammo. It's said to be made by Nosler and uses the 70gr Varmageddon. I use the brass and it holds up well.

Reactions: Frog05
I shoot a lot of coyotes. 100-150 per year shot and trapped. I don't keep track of which method by number. I have not had the running issues that I see posted so often unless I use heavy bullets.
The light, fast expanding bullets simply kill coyotes in their tracks within 400 meters. I cannot recall the last one I had move when hit with a varmint class bullet out of anything from a .204 to a .257 Roberts. They just go down and don't move. Literally hundreds without fail.
I think some of the bum rap that rifles, calibers and bullets get is simply less that optimal shot placement.
When I use my deer rifle, an 18" KAC SR15, with the 77 grain SMK I get a lot of travelers after the shot. The bullet kills deer well but just shoots through coyotes and they go 25-100 yards unless bone or CNS is hit.

Last edited:
243 would be a strong choice with the 65-85 grain bullets

hunting with thermal shot placement is anything but exact. the tendency is to shoot center of the light bulb with a favor to the front. A lot of shots end up on the edge also. And after the first shot its anything goes.

I have had real good results with plain jane 80gr winchester soft points if I want to save the fur. Other than that its Hornady 75gr Superformance, which anchors them on the spot.

My favorite 243 coyote handload uses the 70gr Ballistic Tip. I don't know if it's still available, but Federal use to offer a 70gr Ballistic Tip 243 factory load that basically duplicated the velocity of my handload.

I have gone to hunting only at night for coyotes. I have been running a 6x45 (6mm223). Using a 16" barrel and 65vmax, I run from 3000fps to 3200 depending on the powder. Can't beat a light weight 16" barrel for mobility. For comparison, a buddy has a 16" .243 and is running 58vmax at 3450 with a Max charge of H4895. I'm almost half his charge weight of powder.