• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 gas gun

Forward543

Dude
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Idaho
Does anybody have experience with a .243 gas gun? I want to buuld one with a 24" 1-7 barrel. Looking for reliabilty/ insight.

I've worked with several 243 gas guns. What bullet are you planning to use?

I went through this not to long ago on my first big boy AR. I really wanted a 243 since one of my 6mm match gun is 243 and only made since. I started looking at other options and came to the conclusion that a 6mm Creedmoor made more since with magazine restrictions for you are planning on running the 105's.

I'm running one. 24" Krieger. extended rifle gas system with an SLR adjustable gas block. I'm using Lancer mags to get a little more length. I'm running a pretty hot load but pushing 105 amax's to 3020 fps out of it. .66" 5 round groups at 100 yards. I need to play with the load a bit more as it was pretty much thrown together to get to a match. I've still got them loaded shorter than what I can fit in the mag so I'm gonna play with seating depth a bit and see what I can get out of it.

I would like to run 105s or 115's. Thought was, i have a bolt .243. Why not a low recoil sweet 6mm.

I have had this same thought several times. I grew up hunting with a .243. I have 4 large frame AR's(Larue, POF and a self built .260 off a POF lower) and have been think about rebarreling one of them to .243. Wouldn't be for competition just general range use. Interested in your results.

I've been looking into building a .243 into an AR platform. Keeping all the AR15 components and swapping out the 556 barrel for a 243 and necking up the 556 cartridge to fit the 243. Does anyone have any experience in this? I've heard of it being done before, just curious what type of ballistics and range people would get with the smaller casing.

I've been looking into building a .243 into an AR platform. Keeping all the AR15 components and swapping out the 556 barrel for a 243 and necking up the 556 cartridge to fit the 243. Does anyone have any experience in this? I've heard of it being done before, just curious what type of ballistics and range people would get with the smaller casing.

I think you'd be referring to the 6x45. Its probably a good 200-300 fps behind a 243win, if not more. If you're after good performance in an AR15 platform, maybe 6.5 Grendel or similar wildcat might be a better fit for you? Not my area though, so my opinions worth what you paid for it.

That's called a 6x45, it's fairly common and there's a lot of data out there for it. Black Hole Weaponry does barrels ready to drop in. They were just doing a really attractive sale on in stock barrels, I don't know if it's still going on or not. I'm currently building another 6x45, I had one several years ago with a BHW 16" barrel and it performed well. A 95gr Berger Classic hunter is about the heaviest bullet you can get enough powder capacity behind at AR15 mag length and the 87gr Hornady BTHP is also a good choice for performance.

What's your intended use? If it's long range targets then there's better choices for the AR15 platform ballistically. If you want to stick to the small frame stuff and don't mind sacrificing the common/cheap 556 brass as well as mags the 6mAR/243LBC/6-6.5Grendel is the way to go. It's a one step neck down from 6.5 Grendel brass and 2800FPS is achievable in longer barrels with a 105gr Hybrid at mag length. There's also a 6-6.8spc wildcat but I don't know much about it.

Thanks for the Info guys. I'll be doing a lot more research into the 6x45. I'm looking at building a fun rifle that fits into the AR platform.

I love my Colt and its a tac driver, but i'm looking for something that's a little different that would be a fun build from the ground up. I've heard of a few guys doing some similar builds and being extremely happy with the results. I've found the barrel that I want a SS 20" 1-8 twist Krieger with an Aero Precision stripped upper and stripped lower. I found a few triggers and I know a guy that can fine tune whichever trigger I go with. I'm still deciding on the finale components of everything but on paper I have the just of the rifle built. I've never shot one, only heard stories of how they shoot. I'm looking at Black hole weaponry right now to see what they offer as well.

That's called a 6x45, it's fairly common and there's a lot of data out there for it. Black Hole Weaponry does barrels ready to drop in. They were just doing a really attractive sale on in stock barrels, I don't know if it's still going on or not. I'm currently building another 6x45, I had one several years ago with a BHW 16" barrel and it performed well. A 95gr Berger Classic hunter is about the heaviest bullet you can get enough powder capacity behind at AR15 mag length and the 87gr Hornady BTHP is also a good choice for performance.

What's your intended use? If it's long range targets then there's better choices for the AR15 platform ballistically. If you want to stick to the small frame stuff and don't mind sacrificing the common/cheap 556 brass as well as mags the 6mAR/243LBC/6-6.5Grendel is the way to go. It's a one step neck down from 6.5 Grendel brass and 2800FPS is achievable in longer barrels with a 105gr Hybrid at mag length. There's also a 6-6.8spc wildcat but I don't know much about it.

So, while working the night shift, I've been doing some research on the 6.5 Grendel and I think i'm going to start with building the Grendel upper. It seems like a more versatile round that can do what i'm looking for. To reach out to the distances that I want. I liked the idea of using the 556 brass for reloads, but the 6.5 Grendel round looks like a better round. I was looking at the Odin system, and they have a whole setup almost ready to go for $614. ( https://www.odinworks.com/product_p/pk-6.5-ml-tg.htm) I dont know much about the company but they seem to have good reviews. I also found an almost complete upper, on gunbroker for 225 from Zerod in Armory (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/682568785) but I dont know anything about the company. I'm a little hesitant on any company I havnt heard about. I'm going to hop over and see if what forums are on the 6.5 Grendel here. Maybe get some more info on good companies and good products.

Before you decide on the 6.5 Grendel look into the 6mm version, it has better ballistics. There's several names for it depending on who you source the barrel from (6mmAR, 243LBC, 6-6.5Grendel) but they're the same. I'd just get a Black Hole Weaponry barrel, they call it 243LBC. Beyond that the only thing special you need is the appropriate size sizer bushing. You just run Grendel brass and Grendel dies.

You didn't specify which platform so this would fit the bill. My buddy built this for himself in 243Win and it runs like a sewing machine. Win brass, N160 and 105BHs.

edit: He was working the trigger when this was taken

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]
​ [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.snipershide.com\/shooting\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="}[/IMG2]
​​

Last edited: