• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 243 hunting load?

fredjake1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
Looking for a deer hunting load - 24" 8-twist barrel. Was thinking about using 95 or 105 bergers or 85 barnes. Looking for load suggestions.

Re: 243 hunting load?

i saw a guy last yr take a deer @ 400M using 75gr vmax's i'm sure ur 85's and over will be a hammer.

Ive had great luck with the Sierra gameking 85g bthp. Great little boolet for deer and pigs.

I use the Barnes TTSX 85 grain on top of a case full of Varget...Accurate as heck out of the TC Icon I use to have!

if you've got the 1:8 twist already...and you can or do handload. I see no reason to bother below 95gr bullets.

The fast twist and long barrel should get you great results with the heavy bullets.

My barrel is 1:9 and 24" and just have never gotten anything to group well except the 75vmax skinney talked about earlier.

Your best bet is to find a good hunting bullet that makes a tight group. the rest is more about shot placement than the caliber/bullet choice.

Like he said, anything over 75's will do just fine but with that nice barrel, i'd suggest trying to get the 105 VLD's to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fredjake1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a deer hunting load - 24" 8-twist barrel. Was thinking about using 95 or 105 bergers or 85 barnes. Looking for load suggestions. </div></div>

105 A-max and RL-22.

R.

I use an 87 VMAX with H4350 and a 105 Berger with Retumbo. About 3200 for the first, and 3000 for the second.

I use a 100gr speer with 37.5 gr of RL15.

It just works. It's a boat tail, it's accurate out to 400 yards.

It holds about 1/2 to 3/4 minute of angle on my short barreled Rem 788 - with a 40 year old scope (I suspect that is the deviance).

FYI I have 2 boxes of the speers left, PM if interested. I've got enough reloaded to last me a few years.

Er 1 may be nozlers but definitely 1-2 boxes of speers and 1 box of nozlers. Speers work better than the nozlers, better accuracy anyway.

42 gr RL 22 105 Bergers. Lapua brass Federal 210M's. Clocks 2780fps or so in my 23" barrel. The Bergers shoot very good in my gun.

1959 Sako 243, 22 3/4" barrel
near max load of IMR 4831 shot 1/2" with the Barnes 85 TSX at 100 yards and is wicked deadly on hogs and deer

it's my son's gun now..
Barnes data list (max)
45.0 3298

my chrono was showing 3180 average

I was looking through my dad's old reloading manuals over the weekend... seems like 85g Sierras over a max load of 4350 were his load of choice

All I remember is if there was a deer or hog in sight, it was dead, if it was really far out there, I just aimed a little high

I shoot 100gr. SGK in front of 44gr. of 4831. COL 2.62
9 1/4 twist. .5 moa @ 100yds (4rds.) if I do my part.

No way would I take anything bigger than a dog with a 75gr V-max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Barnes TTSX 85 grain on top of a case full of Varget...Accurate as heck out of the TC Icon I use to have! </div></div>

this

I use 100gr corelokts..nailed a doe at 537yds last jan. right behind the sholder no problems.

p.s: anyone try a .243 on wild sheep?

I got a few boxes of the new Barnes factory load with the 80g TTSX sent to me for T&E
Tested at the range out of a Sako L579, quick test yield a 3/4 group in the wind at 100 yards and same POI as my handloaded 85 TSX

My son will be using them this weekend
I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer at 400 yards

I have put down alot of deer and antelope as well as let others use my 243 with the 85gr TSX. I built a new fast twist 243 and will try the 105 berger this year and let you know if it puts them down as well. You will not be dissapointed with the 85 gr tsx.

killed alot of whitetails and a few mulies with the 85g tsx out of a 243 or 243ai works just fine.

this year switching it up, running a straight 243 with 80g TTSX
under rl-17

velocity kills and the lighter barnes driven fast have a dramatic effect on game

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not be dissapointed with the 85 gr tsx. </div></div>

I whole heartedly concur.

6mm bore/85grains of copper/TSX design/@3K+MV....perfection.

HPIM2295.jpg

HPIM2294.jpg

HPIM2287-1.jpg

Picture010.jpg

I love my 87gr V-max and have used it extensively in the past 12 years.
I’ve shot vermin out to 500m and Blesbuck-headshots up to 400m.
I have to admit I’ve never shot game with them anywhere but headshots, so I can’t comment on performance internally. Headshots pops the eyes out & often destroy the skull to the point that it’s a bag of goo held in by the skin alone.
I’ll finish loading my last batch of 87gr V-max the weekend & want to try 105gr A-max, seeing it has a ~0.5 ballistic coefficient compared to 87gr V-max ~0.4.
I want to try stretch the reach of my rounds seeing that I trust my rifle to be able to go to about 500m
Has anybody experimented with V-max vs. A-max?
Rgds
SvN
Pic of my batch loaded last week.
If this works...

I mate of mine has a 243,

shooting the 105 A-max has brought him out close to 500, 469 meters on roedeer,

I must say that the A-max does great job at expanding at that range and still does not wreck things as long as it´s not a shoulder shot.

/Chris

I hunted deer for years with my .243 varmint rifle.
I used the same load I shot at matches, which was a 70 grain Sierra Match King BTHP.

The darned thing would only go in about 6 inches deep, but it would liquefy the heart and lungs on impact.
Average was dropped in tracks, but couple went as much as four steps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunted deer for years with my .243 varmint rifle.
I used the same load I shot at matches, which was a 70 grain Sierra Match King BTHP.

The darned thing would only go in about 6 inches deep, but it would liquefy the heart and lungs on impact.
Average was dropped in tracks, but couple went as much as four steps. </div></div>

and some would call that "bullet failure"
ha!
sounds like time to fire up the grill for some backstrap!

Running a browning a bolt stainless stalker .243 and love putting winchester supreme ballistic silvertips thru it. gun favors 55gr for varmits and 95gr for deer. I did this year bring down my 10 point elk with the .243 at 120y clean in and out heart shot, not a single step and went down. ** would not normally take this gun for bigger than deer, but the .270 was/is outta commission.