• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

243 Load advise

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
I will be receiving a Savage in 243 soon and I want to shoot it long range. I would love to use 115 dtac but the twist is 1/9.25 and the barrel is 24". I checked the 243 load data section and didnt find anything useful for me. I will be using AICS mags so I would need to seat to be useful for mags. I would like to know what are my best bets for bullets for long range as well as powder. I would like to shoot it to about 850 on steel. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: 243 Load advise

You're right you will have difficulty in stabilising the 115's but you will definitely be able to find something suitable to shoot out to 850 yards with. I've got a T3 1:10 twist shooting the 90 grain Scenars and it is very consistent out to 900, it does start struggling a bit at a 1000. (I push it fast with RE17).

If you can get something in the 90 - 100 grain range to shoot you'll be well in.

I had a 243 with a 9 & 1/8 twist. It shot the 95gr sierra matchkings really well out to a thousand yards I tried 105 a max but it could not stabilize them

The Rem 9 1/8 twist works well with the 105's. The Savage 9 1/4 twist will work IF you can push them fast enough. You won't be able to stabilize the 115's with your barrel. If you want to shoot them out of a standard 243 (non ai) you need a 7.5 twist to be safe.

My kid was ringing our 1050 gong a while back with his bone stock BDL, 1:9.25 twist, and 87 grain Vmax's......'course, he can shoot.

I ran the 95 SMK's in my Rem 700 with 9.125" twist. They have done really well to 1,400 yards. I even managed to get some on target at 1 mile, and they were not keyholing either.

Last weekend I shot some 105 AMAX bullets over H-4350 out of a 1:10 twist barrel...groups were 8-10" @ 100 meters. Holes were not round in the paper. Switched to the Hornady 87 V-MAX..and they dropped to under 1".

Barrel twist plays an IMPORTANT role when you are shooting 6mm bullets at high speed!

I've found out that my barrel should be able to stabilize 105gr if I can push them fast enough. Any suggestions for the right powder to push them to 3000fps.

I run a 700 sps Varmint with a 26" barrel, 1-9.125" barrel, and 95 gr. VLD's, and 105 A-Max, both over IMR-4350. Both shoot sub-moa every time out. (granted I don't miss a wind call) That powder and my gun seem to have a liking for each other. I'm going to try some H-4831, and H-4350 though. I like the Hodgdon powders in everything else I shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My kid was ringing our 1050 gong a while back with his bone stock BDL, 1:9.25 twist, and 87 grain Vmax's......'course, he can shoot. </div></div>

I have to comment on this. I've been shooting for a long time and I'd like to say I'm a good shot but I'm really only a consistently mediocre marksman. My nephew, who shoots occasionally is a natural, amazing to watch, he can shoot. I can empathize, you must be a proud dad. I've never shot at long range steel, can you still hear the hit?

TTFN.

Hi poke53
I compete in F-Class with a 6 BR custom and have a Remington 243 VLS that is my favorite rifle to shoot for practice, after a number of combinations I have come up with the Hornady 95 gr SST bullets behind 43 grs of H4350 at a oal of 2.790. They come out of my 26" barrel at 3265 on average and shoot under moa if I can do my part, all rifles have a favorite bullet powder combo but it takes time to find it, good luck.
Cheers

Retumbo is also worth a try with the 105's... somewhere in the 47-49gr range. Works great for me in a factory 700VS.

Your best bet (and cheapest) may be Sierra 95 SMK & H4350 (or variants IMR4350).

You should have no trouble getting to 900yds.

If you're trying to get 3k fps with 105s in the .243...try either RL17 or Superformance.

Both should have no problem.

I haven't worked with my .243 much yet, but was getting nearly 3200 with the 6mm and I can get almost 3300 with the .243 WSSM.

The 1:9.25 will be a little tough with 105 VLD's, but they should handle 105 Amax or even HPBT just peachy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're trying to get 3k fps with 105s in the .243...try either RL17 or Superformance.

Both should have no problem.

I haven't worked with my .243 much yet, but was getting nearly 3200 with the 6mm and I can get almost 3300 with the .243 WSSM.

The 1:9.25 will be a little tough with 105 VLD's, but they should handle 105 Amax or even HPBT just peachy. </div></div>

Curious as to your 243WSSM/105 load that hits 3300fps???

Since that sounds cRaZZZeee HOT, I ran Quickload using RL-17 as a powder in an attempt to match your stated velocity. It required 44.5-45.0gr RL-17 and the pressure data is absolutely thru the roof, to the tune of 78,000+ psi!!!

Have you found some magical Superformance load that is somehow netting the same speed, yet generating 16,000 psi LESS pressure???
How's your brass life?
I'm a Wizzer fan, so I'd LOVE to learn from your findings. Thanks!

To the OP, I found H4350 to work well for the 87-105gr bullet weights in both a factory 9.25 twist and Rock 7.5 twist tubes. 3K no problemo for the heavies, if they'll spin...

If I had any of my brass left, I'd show you what they looked like, but it's all been tumbled, prepped, primed and reloaded already since I'm gonna be on a 4 week vacation and I'll need it all for come coyote hunting.

At 44gr of RL17, there were NO pressure signs at all, and at 44.5 I was just starting to see flat primers so I stopped. No ejection problems, no excessive size in the webbing. Not really anything abnormal other than the primers.
I basically decided to see how far I could push the charge with RL17 to find the absolute max in my rifle. Worked up slow from way back at 42 I think.
Brass life in my rifle has been excellent. I've gt 246 rounds loaded, another 20 or so in the box, so that leaves roughly 30-35 that have been lost or damaged in 3 years. Most of the damaged ones were when I first started reloading and got a lot of double feeds and smashed them to shit.
Annealed one bag of 50 after being once fired, but have no idea which ones they are.

It's a 24" 1/9 twist AR with the 105 VLDs and 215 magnum primers and a YHM 7.62 Phantom QD suppressor. Oal was WAY to long for mag length...but ever since it was new...it's taken an OAL of almost 2.5" to reach the lands.

My go-to load is 105 Amax at 42.6gr of RL17 with an OAL of 2.365 that produces roughly 3165-3175.

I think the highest velocity I hit was 3288 on this day but the 3 shot average was right at 3275.

105Berger.jpg

I have a REM 243 with the 9 1/8 barrel. I started shooting Hornady 87 HPBT but have switched to 87 VLD. Both loaded with IMR 4064 at just under 40 gr. I have had both out past 1000 yrds with great success. Plus it is a great coyote smoker at about 3300 fps. I am going to play around with 105 AMAX and retumbo but I really like both of my 87 loads.

JW

cbass, no need for photos. I'm not disputing your accuracy claims. Rather, bringing to light the fact that your velocity results carry a <span style="font-weight: bold">dangerous overpressure situation</span>. And certainly not something I'd suggest sharing over the internet where others might foolishly try to seek those same results from their WSSM rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My go-to load is 105 Amax at 42.6gr of RL17 with an OAL of 2.365 that produces roughly 3165-3175.

I think the highest velocity I hit was 3288 on this day but the 3 shot average was right at 3275.</div></div>

Like I mentioned before, to net 3275 with Re-17, OVER 76,000 PSI is being generated!!!
The fact that your rifle held together is a testament to both the strength of the WSSM upper AND the thickness of WSSM brass.

Consequently, your "go-to" load is still generating over 66,000 psi. anyone here with Quickload can see the same. And that's a good 5Kpsi over what I'd like to have sparkin' off a few inches from my face.

Should add that if you've done much load testing with WSSM brass, you might have noticed that the uber-thick WSSM brass doesn't show 'typical' pressure signs that a traditional case would show. Guys who load AI variants experience a similar phenomenon. Pressure signs show up abruptly and warrant backing down the powder charge...
That said, by the time your WSSM cases are showing 'typical' signs of overpressure, you are prolly already waaaaaay beyond safe!

BE CAREFUL, DUDE!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cbass, no need for photos. I'm not disputing your accuracy claims. Rather, bringing to light the fact that your velocity results carry a <span style="font-weight: bold">dangerous overpressure situation</span>. And certainly not something I'd suggest sharing over the internet where others might foolishly try to seek those same results from their WSSM rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My go-to load is 105 Amax at 42.6gr of RL17 with an OAL of 2.365 that produces roughly 3165-3175.

I think the highest velocity I hit was 3288 on this day but the 3 shot average was right at 3275.</div></div>

Like I mentioned before, to net 3275 with Re-17, OVER 76,000 PSI is being generated!!!
The fact that your rifle held together is a testament to both the strength of the WSSM upper AND the thickness of WSSM brass.

Consequently, your "go-to" load is still generating over 66,000 psi. anyone here with Quickload can see the same. And that's a good 5Kpsi over what I'd like to have sparkin' off a few inches from my face.

Should add that if you've done much load testing with WSSM brass, you might have noticed that the uber-thick WSSM brass doesn't show 'typical' pressure signs that a traditional case would show. Guys who load AI variants experience a similar phenomenon. Pressure signs show up abruptly and warrant backing down the powder charge...
That said, by the time your WSSM cases are showing 'typical' signs of overpressure, you are prolly already waaaaaay beyond safe!

BE CAREFUL, DUDE!!!

</div></div>

Appreciate the concern, and it's duly noted. As I've slowly increased my charge the first thing I look at is the primers, because I was always taught that your primer starting to get flat or crater were the first signs of over pressure that you'd get...well before a case would start to bulge.
It would seem logical that since the WSSM brass is so much more thick than "regular" cases, the primers would be a very good place to watch.

Would that assumption be incorrect?