• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .243 match rifle freebore???

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
what freebore are yall running in your match .243 rifles? i am seriously considering rechambering my 6XC to a .243 to simplify things and was wondering what the proper freebore is to run through the aics mags. i use the DTAC now but i may look into the berger hybrid. grizzly lists a .243 reamer with 0 freebore for a good price and its available.

chuck

Re: .243 match rifle freebore???

The reamer I ordered from PTG has .105 freebore, .275 Neck and a 1 degree 30 lead angle. I ordered this specific to shoot the 105 hybrid. This is what Dave and one of the well known gunsmiths on here suggested.

thanks. is that the ptg .243 "match" reamer I have heard talk of?

chuck

I used the one he Dave called the GAP Tactical Match reamer that is set for the 115 DTAC at AI mag length. I can't locate the print right now but will update my post if I rind it.

that's the one I was referring to. what kind of oal do you run to the lands with that reamer?

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's the one I was referring to. what kind of oal do you run to the lands with that reamer?

chuck </div></div>

Found my print and it is .088 free bore.
Dave calls it 243 Win Tactical Match on the print.
I load my 115DTAC just inside AICS mag length and the rifle runs like a charm.

thanks guys. I actually spoke to dave a few minutes ago. he said the GAP reamer has .065 freebore or thereabouts and a standard spec reamer has .055 or so. I may just order a reamer from midway to try out. I cant see the .010 freebore making a big difference. what are the neck diameters on your reamers? are yall able to get over 3000fps without any trouble with the dtac. I am looking to rechamber a 6xc that wont make 2900fps without undue pressures.

chuck

Mine is 275 NK and my load is 41.7gr H4350 in win brass and is just at the 3100 limit most matches has. I have plenty of room left to bump the powder so I am going to cut my barrel down to make it a bit more handy.

But when I cut mine down I may switch to the 105's..

that's what I was wanting to hear! I think I will go ahead and rechamber. the extra velocity will be much appreciated.

chuck