• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 or .308

M6transam

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
I can't decide which one to choose. Some details on what my setup will be. Remington 700 SPS Varmit, with a Leupold VX-2 6X18-40 target grade scope. And eventually I'll be switching the stock out for a H&S precision stock. I'm not really into hunting so this will mainly be a target rifle. I may hunt coyotes on occasion. As far as range, I'll be shooting from 100-500yds. And When money and skills allow I'd like to get on out to 1000yd mark. It seems there is more match grade ammo for the .308 than the .243. I'm not able to reload so ill be using factory match ammunition. I just don't want to buy a gun and then regret and wish I had bought something else. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I just don't have the place to reload. It's something I'd love to do. But just don't have the setup for it at the moment.

i own that gun in a 243. win, topped with a vortex 6.5-20x44mm. right now im shooting 80gr soft points that are holding less then 1/2" at 100 yards and i have taken it out to 600 with great success and less then 1 moa. I have take 1 deer with it at like 60 yards unfortunately i couldn't pass that one up but have taken crows and coons between 250-375 yards. Beautiful gun! Cheap but its an amazing shooter. Im not a fan of the 308 and is the reason id suggest the 243. I love the 243. win, fast flat and accurate, if you start reloading theres tons of good bullets, 95VLD, 105 VLD, 115 DTAC. All great long range bullets, with plenty of punch to take deer and coyotes.

If I had the place to reload, I'd pick the .243..Sounds like I may get the .308 just because of the ammo that is available.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Anyone else have this decision to make?

My first long range gun was a 308 but now that I reload I would definitely choose the 243 with a fast twist barrel. I am waiting for a barrel for a 243 right now for another long range gun. If you choose the factory 243 the twist would not be fast enough for the best bullets for 1000. If I were you I would get the 308 for now and if you start reloading and want better 1000yd ballistics go for a fast twist 243 or 260 barrel.

I wasn't sure either so i got both .243 and .308 Rem LH 26" Varmint about 3 weeks ago. As soon as the weather gets a little better i'll go shoot them. They are going in my McRees.

.308 for now, but i would consider .260 when you start reloading.
I really don't want to replace the barrel too often, which you would have to with the .243

For a factory stock gun I'd do the .308. If i was going to have a .243 I would want a good fast twist barrel set up up for heavy bullets. .308 also has more off the shelf match ammo options.

Good points made already. My only suggestion would be go shop for .308 ammo right now and then look for .243 ammo. That may help you decide. I reload for .308 and .223 and am considering getting out of these calibers just because of the shortages at the local stores. 6mm, 6.5mm. & 7mm bullets are still on the shelves.

Also I think some guys are having success with the 105 amax in a stock 243 700 varmit barrel.

If you don't already have a .308...then go .308. Everyone should have a .308. :)

True 308 is has a better variety of ammo but during times like these it seems to dry up in many places like 223. Performance wise the 243 is far superior to the 308 in all ways except barrel life. Pointed 243 dtacs have a BC of around .585 and are relatively cheap with 3k fps being pretty standard velocity. Corbon ammo uses the DTAC. Check HSM and Blackhills to name a few others as well. One big downfall of the 243 is that you will never learn how to read the wind! None the less, there are other great 243 factory offerings with berger and lapua bullets.

My first long range gun was a 308 but now that I reload I would definitely choose the 243 with a fast twist barrel. I am waiting for a barrel for a 243 right now for another long range gun. If you choose the factory 243 the twist would not be fast enough for the best bullets for 1000. If I were you I would get the 308 for now and if you start reloading and want better 1000yd ballistics go for a fast twist 243 or 260 barrel.

That's what has stopped me from getting the .243 as of right now. The factory twist isn't enough.

That's the video that got me thinking about a .243 actually lol

True 308 is has a better variety of ammo but during times like these it seems to dry up in many places like 223. Performance wise the 243 is far superior to the 308 in all ways except barrel life. Pointed 243 dtacs have a BC of around .585 and are relatively cheap with 3k fps being pretty standard velocity. Corbon ammo uses the DTAC. Check HSM and Blackhills to name a few others as well. One big downfall of the 243 is that you will never learn how to read the wind! None the less, there are other great 243 factory offerings with berger and lapua bullets.

It seems ammo for everything is short at the moment. The .243 is a better round, but the factory twist isn't enough for 105-107gr bullets. Plus I can't reload and I dont have the extra cash for a new barrel right off the bat.

I chose a 308 my first go round and am in the process of going 243 because of the recent ammunition shortage. I purchased a savage model 10PC rifle because it was all I could afford at the time. Little did I know that it is a relatively simple task to change a barrel on a savage rifle. So now I am in the process of changing it to 243. The gun out of the box would shoot better than I could and I will probably never compete so it is a good fit for me. Not trying to sway you away from a Remington but thought you may not know the deal with the savage barrel swap thing.

.308 for now, but i would consider .260 when you start reloading.
I really don't want to replace the barrel too often, which you would have to with the .243

I was gonna say 6.5 CM. Don't know if that is an option for the SPS.

260 / 6.5 shoot flatter than .308 (which incidentally, I love the 308 round) If yer going to 1000, the flatter the better.

Don't sweat it. Pick one and if you change your mind just screw on another barrel.

If you want a view I would start with a 308 as the barrel life is longer and ammo is everywhere. It is plenty capable for what you want to do.

If it was not a 308 I would suggest a 223. Good for 500 yards, cheaper, low recoil, accurate and lots of ammo.

I can't decide which one to choose. Some details on what my setup will be. Remington 700 SPS Varmit, with a Leupold VX-2 6X18-40 target grade scope. And eventually I'll be switching the stock out for a H&S precision stock. I'm not really into hunting so this will mainly be a target rifle. I may hunt coyotes on occasion. As far as range, I'll be shooting from 100-500yds. And When money and skills allow I'd like to get on out to 1000yd mark. It seems there is more match grade ammo for the .308 than the .243. I'm not able to reload so ill be using factory match ammunition. I just don't want to buy a gun and then regret and wish I had bought something else. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Honestly man you should look into the 6.5mm! either the 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.5 X 284! Here's with the animal availability looks like. Anytime you can shoot 130 or 140 berger hunting VLD you will be putting animals down! Also keep in mind the 6.5 X 284 is about 200 feet per second faster and 1 of the most prestigious long range round ever made!

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=9926

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=9985

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=15716

I'd go .308 in your situation with not being able to reload. Though nowadays you might actually be more likely to be able to find .243 ammo in stock.

308, just because you don't reload. Buy a couple cases of FGMM 175s. Done. You will have a much harder time finding a factory setup in another caliber that will be as forgiving and will serve you as well off the shelf. Once you reload, that equation changes.

308 factory match ammo is easier to come by. The 243 is a beast when shooting the 115DTAC or a few other bullets. If your not handloading stick with the 308 the barrel will last alot longer.

308 has more recoil, cost more to shoot, but is much easier on barrel life, projectile selection in either is great.

If you do not reload 308 is a easy choice. Many companies make match 308. You never know what your rifle will like. I have not seen alot of match 243 out there. So if your rifle does not like one you might be forced to use a bullet you want to use.

I went with a .243 to help buck the wind better. Would have preferred to go with .260 but reloading components right now are very hard to find and to go with a Remington action would have required buying an action and having a barrel installed.

I'll shoot the .243 until the barrel is shot out and then either have it re-barreled in a better twist for .243 or i'll switch to .260 at that time.

For now just get whatever you will be able to put as many rounds down range as possible.

.308, especially inside 500. .243 is definetely a better long range gun, go with 168 and you can go to 700 pretty easy. After that prepare for frustration.

Lrp or savage predator in 6.5cm. Lrp is one of the best bargains in precision rifles, bar none. If it is out of ur price range then the predator is a good starting point. I have had several 308s, they are nice till u shoot a more effective rd like 260, 6.5cm, or 243. After i got into these better rds i never shot my 308s. McCourt and southwest both do custom loads so the quality/quantity of match loads for 308 is diminished some.

Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and a couple cases of 140gr Amax factory ammo.

A couple moths ago I came in here all geeked up to get a 338LM.

But the folks here steered me away from that to 6.5CM. I am SOOO VERY glad I listened.

The lesson I learned is "Always be willing to listen, and change your plan if someone logically makes a good case for an idea better than your own."

Its a good idea to define your parameters well - what you want this rifle to do, what will be its primary use, what range, what targets, etc.

Then listen carefully when you hear a pretty strong consensus building as to the best rifle to fit your defined criteria.

Last edited:
.243 Pros:

Ballistics are better.

.308 Pros:

Lots of good factory ammo available with proper bullets.
Longer barrel life.

For now, .308 is the smart choice. Before you get to 1000 yards, you *will* reload. It's just a fact of life. (By the way, it takes almost no space to set up a reloading bench if you're smart about it). When you get to that point, you'll probably pick something else because a .308 is not a good choice for 1000 yards unless you have some external factor like competition rules forcing it on you.

308 is pretty scarce in my neck of the desert.

I chose 308 recently, but I'm having some regrets due to ammunition unavailability.

.308 longer barrel life and for your range not a big difference between the two. After you shoot out the barrel then switch to .243. This way you had a chance at both and you won't waste the .243 barrel on short range as you get better.

.308 for a factory setup. Blast a few thousand rounds through it then have it blueprinted and screw on a high-end barrel. If you start reloading, .260 would be my choice.

308 has more recoil, cost more to shoot, but is much easier on barrel life, projectile selection in either is great.

I don't know anyone that is affected by the recoil of the .308. Except maybe a kid or an old woman. LOL

I would go for the .308 especially if you don't reload. You will still be able to get to 1000 yards. How much longer do you plan to shoot!?

The twist rate is wrong on a factory .243 so I'd advise you go .308 and wear out the barrel. By then you'll have a better idea of what you need in a rifle.

Also, if you don't already have it, I'd advise against the VX-3 6-18x.

I don't know anyone that is affected by the recoil of the .308. Except maybe a kid or an old woman. LOL

I would go for the .308 especially if you don't reload. You will still be able to get to 1000 yards. How much longer do you plan to shoot!?

Everybody is going to be affected by the recoil of a .308, especially if a lighter rifle. To say otherwise is foolish. Try shooting a 100 round match with a .308, then shoot one with a .243 or .260 Rem. If you tell me you can't better shoot the lighter recoiling rifle, (thus demonstrating the .308 "affecting you", you're a liar.

Everybody is going to be affected by the recoil of a .308, especially if a lighter rifle. To say otherwise is foolish. Try shooting a 100 round match with a .308, then shoot one with a .243 or .260 Rem. If you tell me you can't better shoot the lighter recoiling rifle, (thus demonstrating the .308 "affecting you", you're a liar.

I have never fired 100 rounds in a single session. Not even 50. I know that a lighter rifle kicks a little more. But its very manageable. I think I wouldn't be affected by the recoil, and I mean that honestly.
I also shoot .300wm with brake and .338wm and .416 Rigby without brakes. So its all about perception. After shooting the heavy magnums and going back to the .308 it seems like the .308 is a .22lr.
I agree that I can't get the same accuracy with an unbraked .338 vs a .308. But I can get the same accuracy with a .308 than with any other caliber. My best groups beneath 300 meteres were all in fact with a .308

I have never fired 100 rounds in a single session. Not even 50.

Usually club matches you're going to fire 50 rounds or more. Big matches you will fire much more than that. The guy wants a TARGET rifle not a hunting rifle. I guarantee you, .308 recoil will affect you. Its a cumulative effect. .308 bolt action recoil is beyond what the average person can tolerate for repeated shot. I'm not talking firing three or four rounds from grandpa's rifle. No amount of chest-thumping tough guy attitude is going to make what you're saying a reality. Matter of fact, I was at a club match over the weekend and watched a guy get smacked with his unbraked .300 Win. I believe when the cumulative effect finally got to him, there were five rounds left of 40 for score to be fired and he quit. He lasted 35 rounds...

I guess I'm either a woman or child because toward the end of a shooting session, I'm less accurate than when I start with my .308 Win.

Here's a good article

Rifle Recoil Table