• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 shorty

kswaterfowl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Kansas
After looking at the short rifle thread everyday, I decided that I really want one. I have an extra savage model 10 action laying around, and I thought a little 19-21 inch barreled 243 would work great for coyotes out to 400 yards. But I wanted see if any of you guys have any experience with the 243 out of that short of a barrel. Thanks

I have a Tikka in 243 that has a 16" barrel from the bolt face, Velocity suffers some mine is hovering just under 3000 fps with 42 Gr. of H414 and 75 Gr. VMAX. I'm almost positive none of the coyotes I've shot knew about the velocity difference or they would have ran faster......
Sam012.jpg

I have a 20" .243 built on a Rem700 with a Krieger 7.5tw barrel. It's shooting 105 hybrids right at 2,990fps with Lapua brass and H4350. My smith did tell me my barrel had a tight bore. I was surprised to see this much velocity from it. It's also very accurate.

Alot of people seem to be unsure about building short(er) barreled rifles. I think some folks forget that a very large majority of your sporter weight hunting rifles are built with 20"-22" barrels as a norm in almost every caliber. They do and have been functioning just fine for many many years.

I don't think you'd have any issues with a 19"-22" .243.

0B5D8178-2FB6-45D8-A441-C559D7F40C40-1417-0000105FEC5E33B1.jpg

i have a 20" .243 built on a rem700 with a krieger 7.5tw barrel. It's shooting 105 hybrids right at 2,990fps with lapua brass and h4350. My smith did tell me my barrel had a tight bore. I was surprised to see this much velocity from it. It's also very accurate.

Alot of people seem to be unsure about building short(er) barreled rifles. I think some folks forget that a very large majority of your sporter weight hunting rifles are built with 20"-22" barrels as a norm in almost every caliber. They do and have been functioning just fine for many many years.

I don't think you'd have any issues with a 19"-22" .243.

0b5d8178-2fb6-45d8-a441-c559d7f40c40-1417-0000105fec5e33b1.jpg

^^^^^^holy cow thats fast!!!

I've shot it both with and without the can on. That pic was taken when I first received it. I do not shoot the can anymore. It is junk in my opinion. A very expensive piece of junk, but that's an entirely different story all together.

Yes, it is very fast, but the chrono speeds have been verified on steel. The load is 43.2gr of H4350. It's a little warm, but I have no real signs of pressure. Primers are ok and the bolt lifts perfectly normal. I've got 5 firings on the brass and the primer pockets are still holding. If this was going to be a rifle I shot alot, I'd back it down some, but for coyotes and varmints it'll do fine.

Last edited:
Alright you guys talked me into it. I bet that 16" will make your ears ring a little after a few rounds.

It's been so long since I fired a shot from anything without hearing protection on that I could not imagine how loud it would be. My 20" now wears a RAD brake and I'm sure it's extremely loud. To me, shooting without hearing protection is akin to sticking my finger in an electrical outlet......I just naturally know I'm not supposed to do it.

Yes its loud,but I shoot with Caldwell Electric ears muffs....even out calling predators. I made the mistake of shooting it once with no protection.......not sure my ears recovered from that but I got the coyote.