• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.243 Twist Rates

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
www.8541tactical.com
I searched, but seem to be coming up dry.

What is the favored twist rate for .243 with 105 Scenars or 115 DTACs?

I may be getting a new factory 700 (Armorers discount) and I am looking at a SPS-V in .243 Win. I am just wondering if this is going to be able to shoot Scenars or DTACs worth a damn. Looks like it comes with a 9 1/8" twist barrel.

If it wont work for the long range pills, then I just may get another .308.

Re: .243 Twist Rates

7.5 is my favorite.
grin.gif

8 at the slowest depending on altitude

1-9" twists will do the 105's. Slowest load I ran in my 243AI was the 105 Berger VLD at 3050. It would make it to 1000yds in our winter temps. Currently running 105 Amax's at 3250.

If you plan on shooting 115s then 7.5 twist is the ticket. It will shoot the lighter bullet also.

With your factory twist you can shoot the 105 AMAX but not sure about the Scenar.

Will the factory Remington 9 1/8 twist run the 105 Scenars and Berger VLD's with any accuracy?

Not going to have the cash to buy the rifle and replace the barrel right off the bat. If I was going that route I would just save for a Surgeon RSR and put the barrel of my choice on it.

I don't know if it'll do the 105 Berger? If it won't then I'd take a look at the 95VLD. A buddy was running the 95VLD in his factory SPSV-243 and it ran great all the way out to 1000yds.

LoneWolf, I have a factory 9.25" twist Savage barrel 22"

It will stabilize the 95 grain VLD's just fine . I haven't tried the 105 VLD's.
I have also tried 107 SMK's , they work just fine using Lapua brass H-4350 and WLR primers.
The UPS guy just left two boxes of 105 A-Max's on the front porch so I'll be checking those this weekend. ( thanks for the info Rob ) .

Mike

Definitely let me know how the A-Maxes work for you.

I need to rock some OT and stop taking so many days off. I would REALLY like to put together a dedicated competition rifle. The SPS-V isn't going to hurt me to bad. The NXS F1 that I would like to top it with will kill me (especially if my wife figures out how much they are). It's probably going to take me a year to build this thing.

i have a prohunter with 1-12 twist and sold it because it had 1-12 twist. i could get 80 gr bullets at 1.1@200 yds, but anything heavier i could not get to stabilize

I have a 1-9.25. I shoot the 95 Berger VLDs. Light load at about 43,000psi. Around 3000fps. Could shoot em as fast as 3200+ with a BC of .485.

I know the 115s are the shiiet. But these do very well out to 1000 and coyotes dont know the difference. It holds its own with just about any load out to 600.

Keith