• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 vs 22-250

Re: .243 vs 22-250

.243 without a doubt. The 22-250 is great on less windy days, but where you run into trouble is spotting bullet impacts to make corrections.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morris#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 has better ballistics than 243? </div></div>

No. Not even close but some people feel inclined to opine on that of which they know nothing.

To the OP, for the 22-250 to really shine you need to go AI and that becomes a PITA. Now a 22-250AI with a 80gn pill does a lot but still doesn't beat the 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To the OP, for the <span style="color: #FF0000">22-250 to really shine you need to go AI and that becomes a PITA.</span> Now a 22-250AI with a 80gn pill does a lot but still doesn't beat the 243. </div></div>

I agree with Mike 100% on this, although once you get brass formed and a load developed the headache is over. The 75gr Amax out of my 22-250AI is pretty freaking cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morris#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 has better ballistics than 243? </div></div>

No. Not even close but some people feel inclined to opine on that of which they know nothing.

To the OP, for the 22-250 to really shine you need to go AI and that becomes a PITA. Now a 22-250AI with a 80gn pill does a lot but still doesn't beat the 243.</div></div>

I'll disagree with that. A .260 pushing either 123's or 140/142's beats a .243. Both in wind and elevation. They are also easier on the barrel.

But, I will agree that the .22-250 won't push out past 500 yds. effectively against either one. There just isn't enough weight in a .224" bullet to assist that skinny ballistic form. And of course, the lighter the bullet the more the wind can push it around. No matter how fast it's going.(as relative from being fired from that case)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'll disagree with that. A .260 pushing either 123's or 140/142's beats a .243. Both in wind and elevation.
</div></div>

Please explain?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morris#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 has better ballistics than 243? </div></div>

To the OP, for the 22-250 to really shine you need to go AI and that becomes a PITA. Now a 22-250AI with a 80gn pill does a lot but still doesn't beat the 243.</div></div>

I'll disagree with that. A .260 pushing either 123's or 140/142's beats a .243. Both in wind and elevation. They are also easier on the barrel.

But, I will agree that the .22-250 won't push out past 500 yds. effectively against either one. There just isn't enough weight in a .224" bullet to assist that skinny ballistic form. And of course, the lighter the bullet the more the wind can push it around. No matter how fast it's going.(as relative from being fired from that case) </div></div>

Uh... A .243 115 grainer at 3100 fps has got the 260 beat in drift and drop with less recoil but not energy. The price of it is barrel life.

Run the numbers on a Berger 22 cal 90 grain VLD .556BC at 3000+ fps and you will find the same result.

Well...since the OP didn't even ask about the .260...... Maybe you boys can settle down?

The .243 will beat the 22-250. I love my 22-250! Just yesterday I shot my 22-250 to 920 yards with 55gr v-maxs. You read that right, varmint bullets. Granted, the wind was only 4-6 mph.

BUT...anything that it can do, the .243 will do alot better. Little bit more recoil, and uses more powder, but still does better.

Caliber choice is a personal preference, every one has "their" cartridge. The fact of the matter is people shoot extended distances with ALL kinds of different cartridges, there isn't only "one" that is the right choice. With the selection of bullets today, darn near anything will shoot well. Big deal if you have to hold off X amount instead of Y for the wind...you still have to hold off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morris#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 has better ballistics than 243? </div></div>

But, I will agree that the .22-250 won't push out past 500 yds. effectively against either one. There just isn't enough weight in a .224" bullet to assist that skinny ballistic form. And of course, the lighter the bullet the more the wind can push it around. No matter how fast it's going.(as relative from being fired from that case) </div></div>

Uh... A .243 115 grainer at 3100 fps has got the 260 beat in drift and drop with less recoil but not energy. The price of it is barrel life.

Run the numbers on a Berger 22 cal 90 grain VLD .556BC at 3000+ fps and you will find the same result. </div></div>

You have to be doing something outside the ordinary to get those velocities. Along with burning the barrel at an incredibly fast rate.

I'm using a 123 Scenar @3000 and a 105 @ 3000. I certainly don't get over 3k with a 115.

If you compare two rifles set up ~relatively~ equal to optimize bullets as best you can, and burn barrels at the same rate, I think you'll find the 6.5mm beats the 6mm.

Some of you guys have been able to achieve incredible velocities with the 6mm's (I do believe you). But, note that as a cost overall. If you want to be changing barrels every 800 rounds then so be it. Just make the equal comparison for 6.5mms.

However, as pddogsbeware stated, "The OP didn't ask about the 6.5, so it's a moot point." Other than to say posters may have different opinions on it. The .243 will beat a .22-250 any day. And FWIW, I would take a .243 like yours, Mike, any day of the week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just checked my dope and a 139gn scenar at 2850 is 3.6 mil at 600 with 1.1 mil wind at 10mph @ FV

My 243 is sub 3 mil and < .9 mil wind. So please explain how a 260 with the 140 class bullet is better?</div></div>

What bullet/velocity with .243? What are the rifle particulars of each?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Some of you guys have been able to achieve incredible velocities with the 6mm's (I do believe you). But, note that as a cost overall. If you want to be changing barrels every 800 rounds then so be it. Just make the equal comparison for 6.5mms.

However, as pddogsbeware stated, "The OP didn't ask about the 6.5, so it's a moot point." Other than to say posters may have different opinions on it. The .243 will beat a .22-250 any day. And FWIW, I would take a .243 like yours, Mike, any day of the week.</div></div>

SW,
I'll be the first to say when it comes to barrel life, the 6.5's win by a handful. I would be the first to stand up and say for the best "balance" of barrel life, performance and accuracy the 6.5's win. I think of it this way. The 243s with the heavies are like a dedicated race car. Does a fantastic job but at a cost. The 6.5s are a street legal car that's track ready.

However, 2K rounds is definitely very doable. In fact, I'm at 1100 on my 243 right now and it's still <.5 moa. The velocities for the 115s are not difficult. Many well know shooters here on the board have achieved it including myself, George, Rob01, Pimp_Skittles, S.Kay, and many others. Maybe it's George's reamers, I don't know. But I'm on my 4th 243 and build loads in the deep south high heat and humidity.

One can even get a "mild" load with the 115s doing 3K. Big key is the barrel length as it must be 27" or longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

However, as pddogsbeware stated, "The OP didn't ask about the 6.5, so it's a moot point." Other than to say posters may have different opinions on it. The .243 will beat a .22-250 any day. And FWIW, I would take a .243 like yours, Mike, any day of the week.</div></div>

SW,
<span style="font-weight: bold">I'll be the first to say when it comes to barrel life, the 6.5's win by a handful. I would be the first to stand up and say for the best "balance" of barrel life, performance and accuracy the 6.5's win. I think of it this way. The 243s with the heavies are like a dedicated race car. Does a fantastic job but at a cost. The 6.5s are a street legal car that's track ready.
</span>
However, 2K rounds is definitely very doable. In fact, I'm at 1100 on my 243 right now and it's still <.5 moa. The velocities for the 115s are not difficult. Many well know shooters here on the board have achieved it including myself, George, Rob01, Pimp_Skittles, S.Kay, and many others. Maybe it's George's reamers, I don't know. But I'm on my 4th 243 and build loads in the deep south high heat and humidity.

One can even get a "mild" load with the 115s doing 3K. Big key is the barrel length as it must be 27" or longer.</div></div>

Good point...I'm still puttin' along in my granny car.

If I may ask, what powder do you generally run with these?

Good point...I'm still puttin' along in my granny car.

If I may ask, what powder do you generally run with these?</div></div>

Two choices, H4350 will keep 'em around 3K with a 27"-28" barrel.

RL-25 with 115s and Winchester brass can get you 3150+.

H4350 with the new 105s will get you 3200.

Thanks for all the info. Been doing some 243/22-250 ballistic comparisons and after looking at there performance in graph form definitly going with the .243

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FORECON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info. Been doing some 243/22-250 ballistic comparisons and after looking at there performance in graph form definitly going with the .243</div></div>

Good call. The issue for me is that I can't get a 22-250 with a fast enough twist rate to stabilise a 90 gr (in a production rifle). This is a huge flaw imho, as it limits the round to light for calibre bullets.

BUT even if I could launch 80/90gr, bullets what's the point when the 243 can do that already?

A calibre for the velocity fans out there. For the rest of us the 243 is far more flexible

I hope it is OK if I throw in another twist. I am gathering parts to build a 6mmBR Norma. I want a low recoil 300 yard tack driver. I have several 243 hunting rifles and like the round. How would a 243 stack up aginst a 6BR for groups at 300, assuming each had a top quality heavy barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope it is OK if I throw in another twist. I am gathering parts to build a 6mmBR Norma. I want a low recoil 300 yard tack driver. I have several 243 hunting rifles and like the round. How would a 243 stack up aginst a 6BR for groups at 300, assuming each had a top quality heavy barrel? </div></div>

IMO for that short of a distance there are many options that don't equate to the 700+ option.

I like the 6BR for a short (300yd) rifle. Extremely accurate. My first choice would be the 6PPC. It's incredible at short range accuracy.

$.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope it is OK if I throw in another twist. I am gathering parts to build a 6mmBR Norma. I want a low recoil 300 yard tack driver. I have several 243 hunting rifles and like the round. How would a 243 stack up aginst a 6BR for groups at 300, assuming each had a top quality heavy barrel? </div></div>

I agree with Mike, for 300 and in, the PPC is tough to beat, at 600 and in, the 6BR or its variant (I.E Dasher, BRX) dominate in a big way.

Darn, sorry I missed out on the 6.5 vs 6mm debate. I couldn't get 3150 out of 115 DTACs, but I did get 3120 using 47.8 grains of RL-25 (with BN coated bullets.) From what I hear, RL-17 can get similar velocities.

But yes, especially using the newer pointed DTAC with a G1 of over .6, and at 31XX FPS, it SMOKES the .260 in every category except barrel life.