• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 vs. .308 Muzzle Blast?

freereload

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2011
Washington
Right now my rifle is in sporter configuration waiting for decisions to be made as to what to upgrade next. I'd like to put a heavier profile barrel on it, and preferable 16.5" long.
At first I thought I wanted the new barrel to be a .308, but I've been liking the .243 that the rifle shoots now. I started thinking about muzzle blast on a 16" barrel.

So given a Rem700 with a 16.5" barrel with no muzzle device, how would the muzzle blast of a .243 compare to that of a .308?

Re: .243 vs. .308 Muzzle Blast?

I hardly think you would be able to tell the difference between the two based on muzzle blast, as they have about the same capacity (use the same case) and same operating pressures. What you will notice is the .243Win loses much more velocity in a 16.5" barrel than the .308Win. The .243Win might give a large fireball at night .

realy the powder is a big factor of muzzle blast, slow burning powder in my playing round could equal bigger blast. so comparing rounds to that is not 100% accurate, although the bigger calibers have bigger of course

A buddy of mine has a 6mm Rem. with a 18.5" barrel, loaded hot with 41gr of IMR 4350. The muzzle flash is very impressive! About 2 foot in diameter, and 10 foot long.
The 243, usually runs better on slower powders, such as 4350 and 4831. Where the the 308 lives on RL-15 Varget. I bet with the short barrel, the muzzle blast of the 243 is much bigger than the 308.