• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.243 Winchester Range Report

tackdriver1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2010
Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special
.243 Win
1-9.25 twist
Zeiss Terra 3-9X42mm

Recently loaded a few rounds and after 2 trips to the range this is what I got.
In 5 shot increments.
All bullets jumped .010 from the lands.
Remington brass
CCI 200 primers

87 gr Berger VLD
41.5 gr H4350
1" at 100 yds

42 gr H4350
1" at 100 yds

42.5 gr H4350 *Best load
.7" at 100 yds
(Friend had a MagnetoSpeed V3 Chrony)
3160 fps

Now to compare, I picked up a few Hornady V-Max.

87 gr Hornady V-Max
42.5 gr H4350 *Best load
.7" at 100 yds
3158 fps

The loads were very consistent with a standard deviation of 5 out of 40 rounds loaded.
The kicker is with each 5 shot group, I had 1 flyer, or what I would call a flyer...only 1"max from the rest of the group! I know that's not a lot but it has to be because I am timing the trigger. So we will see how much better the groups get with a Timney set to 2lbs respectively. This rifle has factory Rem trigger...I don't even know the weight.

Now what I am wondering is why I got more velocity out of the 87 gr Berger than the book showed with a max load in a 1-9.25 twist barrel. Max said 42.5 gr of H4350 with a 87/88 grainer was 3095 fps.
All testing comparable in the #1 Berger Manual. Not complaining at all haha Your guess is as good as mine!
Anyway, just testing the waters. Ready to see how this 87 great VLD compares with IMR 4350 and IMR 4064.

Also, has anyone ever loaded H4198 in a .243? I have not, but if I could find some data comparable with an 87 gr bullet , I have a ton of it that I load my Fireball with.

-Tack

Also, has anyone ever loaded H4198 in a .243? I have not, but if I could find some data comparable with an 87 gr bullet , I have a ton of it that I load my Fireball with.
NO. I would strongly suggest you do not try H4198 in the 243. IMHO, H4198 is a very fast powder and you would not be able to load to sufficient density levels to keep it from becoming a bomb. Why would you even consider a comparison between 243 and 221 FB? Using powder because you have it is not prudent at times.
Case in point, I once used WW748 for all my hunting loads (308, 3006 and &mm-08) for convenience. When I added a 243 to the hunting rifle battery I thought, "WTH, I'll just use 748 there too. Turns out, after not finding any published data, I called one of the bullet manufacturers for some help. The guy looked it up and found that their testing showed only a 1/2 grain difference between min and max loads before pressure went over the top. And that was in virtually the same size case.

Simply put. I am very safe. I would never load anything without first viewing published data. I think we can all agree upon who the reputable sources are. It was a simple question. I use H335 for 4 different calibers with great results...one load is in my .221 Fireball. I appreciate your honest opinion, the generalization between two calibers was just for reference. So I won't use it. Not my first rodeo either using the same powder for multiple loads for 15 years. It is getting harder to find powder these days so conservatively, I prefer to shoot same powders in different calibers if possible and if an accurate load can be recorded.
If anyone else has experience loading the before mentioned proven loads for .243, I would also appreciate any feedback.
Thank ya kindly.

-Tack

If anyone else has experience loading the before mentioned proven loads for .243, I would also appreciate any feedback.
Thank ya kindly.

-Tack

check out the .243 loads thread, tons of load info using those powders there:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading-depot/68087-243-win-loads.html

H4350 & H4198 is seemingly two of the biggest "go to" powders for .243

i like to spread my powder around on different calibers too, sometimes having to give up a littl FPS here and there, but trying to keep within acceptable means. from most load data in "regular" 22-24" barrels there are a few powders that seem to excel in these areas, with superformance now being in that list.

i have been reading here and there that CFE.223 is producing some good results in other than .223's, .308 sized cartridge case and less using lighter bullets.

I have the varmint as well 26" barrel I thought the twist rate was 1-9.125, but could be wrong. Put it on a element chassis.
My rifle loves 37.1 grains 4064 and 87g vmax. Good for yotes and Pdog at long ranges.
Another awesome load I found is the 105g Berger VLD hunting, with 40.2 grains h4350, good for 5 out of 5 hits on 24" steel plate at 1200 yards. Work up to this load as it is above book max, runs at 3000 fps for me.