• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.243 Winchester rifles

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

Would those who have .243 Win rifle(s) show some pics of their rifle and list specs? I know cosmetically they may not look at that much different than other tac rifles, but I am interested in specs such as barrel length, action used, barrel life, etc.

Thanks much!

Re: .243 Winchester rifles

Well, I don't have time to take and post pictures right now, but here are some specs:

All barrels are 1:7.5 twist, PT&G WIN243 Match .275 neck chambers with headspace .002 above SAAMI minimum. Pierce engineering does all my gunsmithing and does such precise work that I can use the same brass amongst all rifles.

Hunting rifles have Krieger #2 Sporter contour 24" barrels.

Competition Tubegun is 27" Light Palma contour

Tactical Competition barrel is 22" light palma and threaded for a suppressor.

All rifles are/will use Defiance Machine actions.

I expect 2000 rounds of accurate life out of each barrel. Don't push my reloads: just 39.0gr H4350 with 107 SMK

Thank you Scooter-PIE!

Haven't done this long enough to get into reamer specs... How much of that plays into the accuracy of the rifle? Or do you specify the reamer just so you have a known, consistent starting point for reloading?

Did I just jack my own thread?
laugh.gif

This is an old pic

DSC01068.jpg

1:7.5 twist 27" Schneider barrel, Tubb Contour. Built to shoot the 115 DTACs. 7wsm performance with no recoil.

GAP 7000 Action
Badger Bottom Metal and Scope Rail, rings.

CG Jackson trigger

My old '55 win varminter in .243, it will shoot 1 1/4" 5 shot ,300 yard groups using FED factory 70 gr BT's. IF I'm on in favorable conditions.
P1010126-2.jpg
some of the old technology is hard to beat, the ole gal is bone stock other than a trigger tune up by me. 1 in 10 TW, 26" factory varmint barrel, less than a 1000 rounds and I feel she is good for 1500 more.... I have another in .220 swift that shoots as well or better.

Nice rifles guys!

Is 1:7.5 twist typical for .243 shooting anything above 105gr bullets? I have viewed a few barrel websites and they seem to all start with 1:8 twist, did you guys have to pay extra to have that twist?

Thanks!

That twist shouldn't cost extra. Bruno's likely has 1:7.5 twist Kreigers in stock.

The 1:8 twist is marginal for stabilizing the 115 DTAC bullet at all elevations. The 1:7.5 twist helps ensure the stability of these bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you Scooter-PIE!

Haven't done this long enough to get into reamer specs... How much of that plays into the accuracy of the rifle? Or do you specify the reamer just so you have a known, consistent starting point for reloading?

</div></div>
If you have several rifles, it's nice to use the same reamer and have the gunsmith chamber the same headspace: you can use brass across rifles and don't have to keep track of what brass belongs where....very nice.

Regarding reamer specs. you optimize the throat dimensions for the length/weight of bullet you plan to use. All the other specs are usually the same or similar. The 243WIN match chamber is great for 105gr bullets. The 115DTAC needs a little longer throat. Stick with the 105s IMHO. Everybody bought the 115 DTACs because they were advertised as a .585 BC. Recent independent tests rate them at .545. The 105 Bergers are .532 or thereabouts with a higher velocity because of the lighter weight. Translation: the 105 Berger VLDs are just as good as the DTACs. If you chamber for a DTAC, that's pretty much the only bullet that is optimal in your gun. In 105-107 weight, you have quite a few great choices. 115gr is probably too heavy for a 243WIN cartridge. Move up to 260REM/6.5x47Lapua, 6.5Creedmoore, etc if you want heavier bullets.

The .275 Neck is perfect for thick Lapua brass and is fine for any thinner brass like Winchester or Remington. If you go with a smaller neck diameter, then you will have to be careful about which brass you use or turn the brass thinner. I like an "always works" neck and .275 or .276 fits the bill. PS. .276 is SAAMI minimum and that's always a great number to use.

Remington 700 trued w/ Bartlein 1/7.5" twist finished at 27". Badger Recoil lug. Mcrees Precision stock system. Set up for 115 DTac's. range report ASAP. Barelled by X-Ring Accuracy(Keydiverfla).Nightforce NXS Mil/mil 5.5.x25x56
Sticksapril013.jpg

Rem 700
Bartlein 22" HV 7.7 twist heavy flutes, 5/8x20 threaded
GAP .243 Match for DTAC

Picture005.jpg

very nice all!

Scooter-PIE, thank you very much for the in-depth explanation.

Lt. Arclight, that is a sharp looking rifle, something I'm looking to build with a Savage.

One more for ya...
range009.jpg

Rem 700 SA, w/side bolt release
Rock, 1:7.5" @ 26" in Rem. Varmint contour
GAP .243 Match chamber
Seekins DBM, 20moa base & rings
A5 Edge handle
PH 3-15x50

115DTAC slinger...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifles guys!

Is 1:7.5 twist typical for .243 shooting anything above 105gr bullets? I have viewed a few barrel websites and they seem to all start with 1:8 twist, did you guys have to pay extra to have that twist?

Thanks!</div></div>

There should not be any extra charge for that twist. Going with anything more than a 1:7.5 for the 115's is a mistake. Sure, some will work but others wont. Are you willing to take that chance rather than getting a 1:7.5 and being certain?

GAP7000 action
M40A1 turn in stock
Badger DBM
Schneider 27", 7.5 twist, #7 contour barrel
Shoots 115 DTACS pushed by some H4350 nice and tight.
P1010066.jpg

P1010026-2.jpg

With a can on it
P13.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP7000 action
M40A1 turn in stock
Badger DBM
Schneider 27", 7.5 twist, #7 contour barrel
Shoots 115 DTACS pushed by some H4350 nice and tight.
P1010066.jpg

P1010026-2.jpg

With a can on it
P13.jpg

</div></div>

I've always like this rifle Rob, I don't know why you don't shoot it a lot more.

Got the Creedmoor now
wink.gif

It's actually been sitting in the safe for about a year and a half now. No scope on it. I am thinking of rebarreling to a 26" .308 to shoot the 178 Superformance ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the Creedmoor now
wink.gif

It's actually been sitting in the safe for about a year and a half now. No scope on it. I am thinking of rebarreling to a 26" .308 to shoot the 178 Superformance ammo.</div></div>

Although you could do that to keep more in line with the stock, it always seem such a shame to get rid of a good shooter.

You could just send it to me. I'll take good care of it for you.
wink.gif

I would make a switch barrel if I went .308 so I am keeping it. Sorry Mike
smile.gif

Before I had a change of heart and cut the barrel to 21"...
IMG_12071.jpg

IMG_12121.jpg

Just an SPS in a mcmillan A5
USO SN3
Badger m4
Seekins base/rings
Shilen trigger
TIS sling
And of course, one of my bolt knobs and Cerakote all around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the Creedmoor now
wink.gif

It's actually been sitting in the safe for about a year and a half now. No scope on it. I am thinking of rebarreling to a 26" .308 to shoot the 178 Superformance ammo. </div></div>

Are you talking about the new Hornady ammo? We just did a team match with a friend using it in 308WIN. it stunk up the place. He shot a 161/200 with a lot of elevation problems at 600....just an fyi. He skipped the individual match on Saturday, went home and reloaded for Sunday.
smile.gif

That's a .30 SRT Shadow XL can. Works on 300WM and down.

Scotter that's interesting as we shot it through the gas guns at Reade and it shot gas gun groups, about 1 MOA, but through a bolt gun it shot very well. I have some I need to bring out and try with my bolt gun soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you Scooter-PIE!

</div></div> Everybody bought the 115 DTACs because they were advertised as a .585 BC. Recent independent tests rate them at .545. The 105 Bergers are .532 or thereabouts with a higher velocity because of the lighter weight. Translation: the 105 Berger VLDs are just as good as the DTACs. </div></div>

I had thought the same thing about the 105's.vs 115's until recently. Berger corrected their BC now to .493 for their 105VLD.

I prefer the 115 DTACS because they are not so critical of seating depth as the throat wears forward.

The "new" generation closed HP 115 DTACS have a BC of .590.Very close to the 6.5 142SMK's

I'm sticking with the 115 DTACS!!!

Steve

Thanks guys for all the great info!

Some more ignorant questions if you guys wouldn't mind, do you use regular .308 short magazines with .243s? Also, are there any benefits with using a long action for a .243 build, to play with seating depths? And if you can, and do end up using a long action, what caliber magazine should you use?

Thanks much!

Use standard 308 SA AICS, HS-Precision, and/or standard SA BDL floorplate. With really long match ammo, you do start to run out of magazine length. But, you can single load when using this type of ammo. A long action would eliminate this problem ....but its a long action: you decide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I had thought the same thing about the 105's.vs 115's until recently. Berger corrected their BC now to .493 for their 105VLD.

I prefer the 115 DTACS because they are not so critical of seating depth as the throat wears forward.

The "new" generation closed HP 115 DTACS have a BC of .590.Very close to the 6.5 142SMK's

Steve </div></div>

The Berger 105 VLDs with heavy jackets now have a .495 BC listed because they changed how they are made. That is what lowered the BC. There is a whole write-up from Berger on how their forming dies were getting hosed by the heavy-jacketed bullets and they had to make some changes.
The original 105 VLDs with thin jackets, now dubbed hunting VLDs, still have the original .532 BC. With the edge in velocity over the 115DTACs, they have almost identical ballistics.

See article here: http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/?p=81

Have not heard about the new DTACs sounds interesting.

As another point of comparison, the 107SMKs are listed at .527BC, but you can improve that up to 5% by using the Whidden bullet pointer.

The long and short of it is the DTAC is a good bullet but has plenty of competition in the 105-107 weight range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Steve </div></div>

The Berger 105 VLDs with heavy jackets now have a .495 BC listed because they changed how they are made. That is what lowered the BC. There is a whole write-up from Berger on how their forming dies were getting hosed by the heavy-jacketed bullets and they had to make some changes.
The original 105 VLDs with thin jackets, now dubbed hunting VLDs, still have the original .532 BC. With the edge in velocity over the 115DTACs, they have almost identical ballistics.

See article here: http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/?p=81

Have not heard about the new DTACs sounds interesting.

As another point of comparison, the 107SMKs are listed at .527BC, but you can improve that up to 5% by using the Whidden bullet pointer.

The long and short of it is the DTAC is a good bullet but has plenty of competition in the 105-107 weight range. </div></div>

That's good info to know!

Thanks,

Steve

JLK has a new 115 6mm. It should have the highest BC of the 6mm pills. I'm ordering some to try. I'm shooting the Dtacs right now at 3030 or so. 7828 has been incredible in my barrel.