• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 with 115 DTAC o.a.l. ?

Mr Smith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
Ohio
Hello everyone, I'm having my first custom gun built soon and was just going over the details with my gunsmith. The questions started coming up about seating depth of my bullets and he asked me to send two dummy rounds along seated to the depth I wanted to start at.

My questions are:

What length should I seat them at so I have some room to chase the lands as the barrels throat wears out?

What else should I have him take into consideration with my combination of gun, mag and bullet?

Should I have the feed ramp notched?

Do these bullets need to be jumped?

Specs:
Remington 700 short action.
Bartline, 6mm, 1-7.5 twist, 5r. finishing at 27"
Chambered in 243 Winchester for 115 DTAC's or possibly 105 hybrids in the future.
Rifle will be in an AICS stock using non-altered AI mags.
Will be using Winchester brand brass.
This rifle will be used in local tactical matches and will get used and abused.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer. Some of this stuff is still greek to me.

John.

AICS mags with the plates in measure about 2.900 I'd stay around that range, that should give you the most case capacity using DTAC's. Both bullets you are asking about are very insensitive to bullet jump. Hell for what it's worth I jump 105 VLD's at .80 thow just to get them to shoot.

So what your saying is. Have him set it up for 2.900" and just go with it and forget about chasing lands with the DTAC? If so thats great!

Thanks, John.