• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243AI barrel length

M.rolen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
wenatchee, WA
hey guys im starting a light weight deer rifle build, Its going to be a 243AI built on a 700 action, using a #3 or #4 contour barrel, fluted PTG bolt, timney trigger, oversized recoil lug all sitting in a manners elite hunter stock with standard BDL bottom metal. I all ready have the 243AI reamer and a bunch of 6mm projectiles that is why im choosing that round but what I am trying to figure out is what would be the shortest barrel length I could get away with I plan on shooting the 105 berger hunting VLD. I would like to keep it as light and short as possible with out sacrificing to much performance of the round, would 22" be to short or can i chop it to 20" and still be happy? It would be great to get some MV from you guys that are running the 243AI with a shorter barrel. Thanks for your replies. If you guys have any other suggestions feel free to let me know!

M.rolen

If you are wanting it to be short you should just stick with the 243. Most people I know from other forums and having 2 of them go at least 26 inches to take advantage of that cartridge. I had great accuracy fire forming the brass varmint hunting.

I've got a 243AI with a 26" barrel...the AI needs some barrel length to take advantage of the extra case capacity...shorten it too much adn you've given up all the advantage of the AI chambering...24 is about as short as I would go...if your really looking for light weight consider building on a Savage 11 LW...the rifle in 243 with a wood stock is 5.5lbs...substitute a McMillan or manners lite weight stock and save more...you could just get the 11LW and have it reamed to 243AI and have a light weight to start with...

Also Lothar Walther has a line of aluminum sleeved light weight barrels you could build with...they advertize 50% weight reduction contour to contour...

The whole reason I was thinking ackley was because I have the reamer. I was hoping to get the 105s to somewhere around 3100 to 3200 is this feasible out of a 24" or would it need a 26"

The whole reason I was thinking ackley was because I have the reamer. I was hoping to get the 105s to somewhere around 3100 to 3200 is this feasible out of a 24" or would it need a 26"

I'm getting 3050 with 107SMK 41.6 grains of H4350...it is a STOUT load though...no pressure signs but work up to it with your gun if you try to emulate...you should be close

Well I think im just going to have to give it a go with most likely a 24" tube unless someone else can convince me otherwise, Being that i have the reamer, action and a bunch of 6mm bullets for fire forming i just cant see a reason not to go with the 243 AI.

Worst case i build a slower 243AI and the deer still dont know the difference at 600 yards?!?

Well I think im just going to have to give it a go with most likely a 24" tube unless someone else can convince me otherwise, Being that i have the reamer, action and a bunch of 6mm bullets for fire forming i just cant see a reason not to go with the 243 AI.

Worst case i build a slower 243AI and the deer still dont know the difference at 600 yards?!?

YOU will be very happy with the AI...also I highly recommend LAPUA BRASS...

With the light contour barrel you are planning to use, adding 2-4" of barrel should not make that much difference in overall weight. Most of my hunting is from a blind so a long barrel really gets in the way (knocking into walls or banging on things trying to maneuver it out the window), but weight is not a factor because I am just sitting. If you primarily hunt open country and spot/stalk then weight is more of a concern, but barrel length is not.

The 243 AI will be better served with a 26" barrel, so long as the rifle size and weight will suit your actual hunting needs. I run a 6mmAI with a 27" barrel that's pillar and glass bedded in a nice wood stock. It is my primarily predator and P-dog rifle. If I remember tonight I will put it on a scale and see what it weights (roughly 8-9lbs).