• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 243ai chambers hard

motodog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
gillette wy
howdy all just got a 243 ai 40degree and had my smith clean the bolt adjust trigger and adjust headspace just to be safe. well now i cant hardley get a round to chamber be it an ai or new 243.do i need him to readjust the barrel out a bit.he is m
more than happy to do so for me.i just was wondering.thanks all he did say that he set the headspace fairly tight.

Re: 243ai chambers hard

Typically, with AI's the headspace is set tight, so the un-improved case will chamber with zero to slight interference (hard) to insure the case will form out properly when fired.

After it's fireformed, adjust your dies accordingly and shouldn't be anymore chambering issues.

I am having same issue with chambering my ackley. On formed brass sized reding dies seems as tho the fired un formed brass chambers freely but n matter how much i size and se shoulder back chambers hard but no so hard that it wont chamber. Wonder if maybe just neck sizing may be the ticket? My headspace was set with a piece of fired brass and then given .003-.004 headspace

Dogman 243 it sounds like you have excessive head-space. The head-space should be .0015 over the go-gauge. Is the fire-formed case that you used from your rifle?

meaning fired brass in this weapon and FL sized in my dies. My bad for got the sizing part.

Your previous AI cases will probably not chamber but I find it odd that a factory .243 won't chamber. When GAP rebuilt my 243AI my previous cases would not fit but my new relaods with Lapua cases worked fine for fireforming. I would contact the gunsmith to get his opinion.

its a savage and i believe te mistake that was made was the headspace was set with a fired un sized case and not a sized case. I know go and no go gauges but we used the brass then gave it .002 tolerance. At least im hoping this is the problem anyway,will know later i guess

Let us know what you find. You will be very happy with the 243AI. Mine loves the 80-90 grain Bergers with RL17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogman243</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its a savage and i believe te mistake that was made was the headspace was set with a fired un sized case and not a sized case. I know go and no go gauges but we used the brass then gave it .002 tolerance. At least im hoping this is the problem anyway,will know later i guess </div></div>

Don't know who did your chamber job but if it was done without a headspace gauge it was probably done wrong. You probably have headspace issues. If you are going to be at the gunshow at the fairgrounds this weekend we can talk about it or email me.

Jim

If the chamber was cut without GO/NOGO gages, then you don't KNOW what the headspace was set at. That's going to be your problem. Your dies were cut based on a known headspace that coincides with the GO gage.

If your smith didn't use gauges to chamber with, then I would find somebody that does! I build alot of 243AI's and run one in competition, never had a problem with feeding. Sometimes I rebarrel someones and my reamer is different that their original smiths reamer, so their existing brass won't chamber, but it is rare. I set them up to where they just drag on the GO gauge and lock at the bottom of the bolt stroke. This in effect, gives 0 headspace. Still allows factory ammo to fire and form with no stretch. Cases last along time, even with hot loads. I would have your smith check it with the proper gauges, then maybe start with some fresh brass. You should get some resistance when closing the bolt on unformed 243 brass, but it will still close. If you get no resistance, then it definitely has a headspace issue.

it was chambered by brux barrels, its how it was headspaced when headspace was set is what im saying im thinkin mistake was my part

im getting resistance on my sized ackely brass out of my 243 40deg ai dies setting sizer die down on top of ram stroke then turning quarter turn and size . These are the ones that u can feel a lil resistance on but bolt does close.

By the way the dies are redding. There is no case stretch after they are fired. The fired cases chamber freely. Could i just get a neck sizer and call it a day? Since this is the only gun they will be fired in?

Don't forget to trim to length! You might be surprised at how often this is overlooked and the problems that it can cause.

they have been run thru full length die. I dont have a neck sizer yet. and the oal is in check

nice to see im not the only one having an issue.i figured out my problem was i needed to bump the shoulder back just a bit more when i fl sized my cases.my smith who has never failed me yet probly told me that but i dont recall.anyway i got 20 rnds reloaded and ready to take her out and sight her in tommarow.aw hell i cant wait.thanks to all those that offered help.

yeah just gunna have a smith re headspace i believe, or other alternative is to just neck size i guess